Now I want you to think back to your very 1st...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Remembering "Hang Up Your Hang Ups" in the PB thread made me give it a spin. Still sounds great to me. What early song melted your face when you were just discovering funk/soul? What got you hooked?

Comments

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    James Brown "The Payback"

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Marlena Shaw - California Soul

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    James Brown "Give It Up (Or Turn It Loose)" from the "Live" Sex Machine album.

Asked my mother to play it constantly as a kid so I could throw spastic wanna-do-the-james dance fits on the livingroom floor and in front of the hall mirror. That breakdown got me going every time. Snatched it from her collection when I was around 14-15 years old and the collector bug was beginning to bite me.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Green Onions, Booker T and the MGs. Though co-sign on Hang Up Your Hang Ups - the VSOP album version blew me away when I first heard it and took my musical buying habits in a new direction.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    My mom had some Fela Kuti live records. Those were the first records I listened to after going through my parents collection looking for samples. So either "Let's Start" or "Ye Ye De Smell" by Fela!

But I remember listening to Aretha Franklin as a kid. Can't remember which songs I liked best though. I was 4 or 5 years old.

• King Curtis - Memphis soul stew

I was around 16 years old, and listened mostly to Hip Hop and House music.
    A friend of mine who was already diggin for hip hop samples and stuff, put on this track at his house and i was instantly hooked, and wanted more.
    It was that same day I heard Common's "I used to love her"

• Although I had some of the UBB's in the late 80's it was hearing The Meters for the first time and in particular Go For Yourself as Kane had used the drums for Long Live The Kane title track.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    easy

booker t and the mgs - hip hug-her

i was probably...7 or 8. my mom had the northern exposure soundtrack, that song was on there, it blew me away and i remember playing in the family room with that shit on repeat.

still love it.

then again i didnt really get into funk and soul till later on in life...hell i didnt even get into hip-hop till i was 9 or 10...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the jb's - the grunt pts. 1 & 2
    lowell fulsom - tramp

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Third Guitar - Baby Don't Cry

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Marvin Gaye - What's going on

heard it in a bullshitty tv series about the Vietnam War and was immediately blown away...tried to record it with my boombox only to recognize later on I had the tunerbutton pressed...grabbed my jacket after that and wrote "War is not the answer" on it...one of the tuffest recordings evar...

then came james brown "live" at the house of a friend of mine..."sex machine", shit yeah!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    James Brown "The Payback"

The very definition of sinister funk.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Seventh grade-Tighten Up-from my mom's Super Hits vol.2 from Atlantic Records. Soon after came Sly's greatest hits.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Cissy Strut- meters
    Hummin'- Cannonball Adderley

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Professor Longhair - Big Chief

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I was born on the soul hook, but I remember hearing Les McCann's "Morning Song" for the first time and it flipped a switch. At that moment I realized that there was so much more out there to be discovered. And so began the journey.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i don't think it was just one song, but hearing a few different ones at different ages hitting different parts of my brain...

don't stop til you get enough - m jackson
    natural woman - aretha
    and
    Green Onions, Booker T and the MGs

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Green Onions, Booker T and the MGs

This is actualy one of the first records I really looked for probably about 10 years ago. It was not reissued at all at that time and it was sorta tough to find. I think I ended up paying $30 bucks for a copy which was a lot for me at the time.

• Jazz_OneJazz_One 55 Posts
    "Now I want you to think back to your very 1st..."

I was kind of disappointed to discover this wasn't a Betty Wright thread.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    The whole of Edwin Starr's 25 Miles LP, not one shite track on it, with 'Backyards lovin' Man' being my pick.

First record I had a double of too.

• stevie wonder-innervisions was the album that really turned me on to the possibilities of the genre. before thst i was buying tool, faith no more, and primus cd;s.

• in particular the song "jesus children of america" which would probably not make my jewish parents that happy

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Prior to college I'd heard very little funk/soul music, with the exception of Sade maybe, not exactly funky, but maybe slightly soulful.

Anyway freshman year of college I had some buddies with great record collections. One night they inroduced me to "There's A Riot Goin On" -- "Thank You Fallettin Me Be Micelf Again" blew my mind. After that we listened to "What's Going On" straight through and I was doubly blown away.

But after that we listened to some Anthony Braxton which was cool but kind of a buzzkill.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    J.J. Jackson- "But It's Alright" or The Dynamics- "Misery" b/w "I'm the Man"

my dad had a box of 45s and most of them were junk but these two gems were in there, I used to spin them constantly on his turntable. I also remember trying to "scratch" the J.J. Jackson joint as a youngster on his stereo, and not being able to figure out why it didn't sound right.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

As a youngster (maybe 4-5 years old), my father bought me the "Do it 'Till You're Satisfied" 45 (B.T. Express), the first record I owned. I was hooked and the rest is history....

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I had been into the biggies for awhile (sly, booker T., Otis) but when I heard "Osmium", I went all . I didnt know music like that exsisted.

• mr_chinnmr_chinn 89 Posts
    ny bboy 'ish...

liquid liquid cavern....

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    parliament - give up the funk (tear the roof off)

heard it in Moby Disc on Topanga (hammer-time...!!???)

miles davis - live evil

maybe it was the first track(?), the one i think 3rd bass sampled on the cactus album... luved it.

Sly Stone - Fresh

found a beatup copy at the old Pierce College swapmeet

bass poppin synchopated drum niceness, still awesome.

James Brown - Funky President

holy turn-on-your-funk-motor shiiiittt...

• One of my friends older brothers went to college with Otis Funkmeyer and was bringing his tapes home during the holidays with Meters and Mandrill on them. I remember Eddy Senay bieng on one of them and It blew my mind.