Nacho Libre - How was it? How do you rank it???

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

And 21 Grams is a brilliant movie, with moving characters (imo). If you're not touched by them, go see King Kong !

really, you thought they were moving? I thought every character was a self centered, piece of shit human being. I could have cared less if they got sawed in half in front of their children. Really. IMO.

i have to agree with this (not the getting sawed part). none of the characters inspired any empathy/interest. i don't have to like the characters, but if i don't feel anything at all for them, then the movie fails for me...it is soul-less(i felt the same about American Beauty and Kids).

i liked watching benicio del toro in 21 grams, but that's more of a personal thing...

• And 21 Grams is a brilliant movie, with moving characters (imo). If you're not touched by them, go see King Kong !

really, you thought they were moving? I thought every character was a self centered, piece of shit human being. I could have cared less if they got sawed in half in front of their children. Really. IMO.

Although 21 Grams was not GREAT, I would not put it in the same league as Stigmata - which is probably THE worst American film I have seen in the past 10 years (although I only watched 1/3 of it). Patricia Arquette is a trash actor of the highest caliber - Naomi Watts, look out! And that show MEdium is utter garbage! And speaking of grabage, I watched half of Something's Gotta Give - I only wonder to what depths Jack Nicholson will sink to next...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Patricia Arquette is a trash actor of the highest caliber

what is with her voice????????????? stop whining! liven up!

Mad TV did a really good spoof of her show Medium. they had her blah-ness down.

she was actually good in True Romance - that fight scene with her is amazing!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I generally don't want to see Jack Black, evar.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    and yo..in the story Nacho's Mother is a Danish Missionary who marries his father, a mexican misionary. It wasn't like they skirted past the issue in the film.

Decent point. Nice save? There are plenty of "white" Mexicans. Hell, there are even Chinese Mexicans. Still not interested.

Then you should steer waaaay clear of Robby Benson's catalogue:

Walk Proud (1979) - plays a LA Latino gangster
    The Chosen (1981) - plays a Brooklyn Hasidic Jew

Robby Benson was a fairly popular actor in the late 70's early 80's. And he's a gringo. We watched "Walk Proud" in my Chicano cinema class back in the day and this thread made me remember the discussions we had about a white actor playing a latino character, then going on to play a hasid.

heck Charleton Heston did it in "Touch of Evil" too.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Robby Benson was a fairly popular actor in the late 70's early 80's. And he's a gringo. We watched "Walk Proud" in my Chicano cinema class back in the day and this thread made me remember the discussions we had about a white actor playing a latino character, then going on to play a hasid.

man, its good to know that Robby Benson is a staple of latino film classes. We too watched Walk Proud in class and spoke on his non-latin portrayal.

Anybody see that the vulcan girl from that UPN Star Trek series is going to play a black girl in an upcoming film with LL Cool J as her love interest?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    what blows my mind is people who depend on other peoples criticisms...hell even if close close CLOSE friends with pretty much my exact sense of humor tells me a movie is great or terrible, i still go check it out. ive been pleasantly surprised or dissapointed either way...

i loved napoleon dynamite when i saw it..although the way its blown up and the disgusting fans make me almost embarassed to admit that at this point

most of my friends have said nacho libre was terrible, if anything that makes me more excited to see it and judge for myself...if they said it was hilarious, id probably not even care about seeing it (the higher my expectations are the more likely i am to be let down)

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    This movie is funny and I would recommend people to go see it. I would even see it again, and when I think about parts of the film I get a laugh still.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Took my son to see this last week and I thought it was good (although he got freaked out about something and we left riiiight before the last 30 minutes). It is what it is: a cute, silly comedy that had some laugh out loud moments.

I know race issues are serious and all that, but man, to trip off that shit in this case is a likkle ridiculous.
    It's an over the top story of a monk who wants to be a wrestler. It's not Do The Right Thing.

Plus, this dude stole the show so maybe he'll get more shine after being in it.

P.S. the music was good and...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Does anybody know the name of the Sex Jam that played a couple of times during the moments with Nacho and the nun?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    what blows my mind is people who depend on other peoples criticisms...hell even if close close CLOSE friends with pretty much my exact sense of humor tells me a movie is great or terrible, i still go check it out. ive been pleasantly surprised or dissapointed either way...

word. I love my friends and respect their cinematic tastes but what they tell me a bout a movie has NO bearing on whether I'll see it usually. if want to peep a movie, I will peep it no matter what. and when Jack Black puts out a flick, there is no way I'ma go to the theaters for that crap no matter what my friends say.

• I really liked Nap D, but don't own a Vote For Pedro shirt.

Nacho was great when they were outside of the orphanage. Inside it was boring as hell. Cut those 40 minutes of orphans out and I give it.

Without said editing, I'd wait for Netflix.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    man, its good to know that Robby Benson is a staple of latino film classes. We too watched Walk Proud in class and spoke on his non-latin portrayal.

Is this that flik where he walks the gangline at the end and gets his ass kicked?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I know race issues are serious and all that, but man, to trip off that shit in this case is a likkle ridiculous.
    It's an over the top story of a monk who

Yes and

double yes

• There's tons of record digger music in this film as well. surprised no ones mentioned that yet. KPM, Mutantes, some freaky spanish/mexican/SA type shit I didnt know but was pretty dope..

As for the film.. some good, some bad, but if you cant laugh at the match where they get attacked by the two lion midgets you might wanna check your pulse.

• The weird thing is there is no soundtrack out yet. Pretty odd for a blockbuster movie with lots of great music in it.
    The main song used in the movie - "Religious Man" - is apparently by a Mexican group called Mr. Loco (there's three other songs by them in the movie as well). Anybody own their record (s)? I found this blog about it doing a google search; Monoblog

As for the movie itself, I thought it was completely hysterical. Totally lowbrow but they kept the really gross stuff to a minimum.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I caught the flick last night. I thought it was pretty funny, but the storyline was pretty weak, IMO.

Definitely had several hilarious moments. One of the most disturbing parts was Nacho cracking the eagle egg and gulping down that chunky-ass yolk, as the rest of it spilled down his face.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

Getting to look at this girl was probably the best thing about this movie. I would not recommend anyone spending $9.00 bucks on the movie though, Jack Black is a cliche of himself in every movie, and it seemed like the directors were just a little too gassed up from Napolean Dynamite when they made this one.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I liked it..laughed my ass off. It pays off, it doesnt blow its wad in the first 30 minutes and then is ho-hum for the remaining hour like most comedies these days. Really great slapstick. I laughed til I couldnt breathe when he tries to rip his sweatshirt off after the first match and gets hit in the back of the head. silly movie, but it is supposed to be. Cosign on the great soundtrack.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The weird thing is there is no soundtrack out yet. Pretty odd for a blockbuster movie with lots of great music in it.
    The main song used in the movie - "Religious Man" - is apparently by a Mexican group called Mr. Loco (there's three other songs by them in the movie as well). Anybody own their record (s)? I found this blog about it doing a google search; Monoblog

As for the movie itself, I thought it was completely hysterical. Totally lowbrow but they kept the really gross stuff to a minimum.

Mr. Loco definitly has some funky shit. He was kind of a parody/novelty act in the 70s in Mexico. I have a few of his records... his voice can get grating, but the music is fonky.

• the soundtrack is available since a few weeks, but sadly the best tracks from the movie are not on it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm glad this thread was brought back up...

• Ive been trying to get homegirl pregnant for the longest.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Ive been trying to get homegirl pregnant for the longest.

what, you don't have a phone anymore?

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Does anybody know the name of the Sex Jam that played a couple of times during the moments with Nacho and the nun?

Ive only seen it once but i know theres a bit of library music thats played a few times in the movie. John Cameron - Half Forgotten Daydreams. Think its on a kpm lp. I can hook up an mp3 later if u want. Is it the song that has a vocal that goes badabadababa? lol

• I actually dont man. damn. :5pager: