That's the last time I DJ a wedding !!!

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Im not even sure why I agreed to DJ this wedding party tonight. It always SUCKS! I have limited current hit selection (top 40) and don't have serato/final, so everytime I spin at a wedding party I bomb hard. At one point the father paying for the whole thing came up to me and asked if I was new at this (I've been DJing 10 years!) then he said "because you SUCK!", then I said "I'm sorry" then he said "me too". lolBasically this lounge/resturant/bar hired me (I DJ there quite often and it's usually a great time). But the people getting married rented the space. Next time hire an all-request DJ shit-head.Fack!

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    seriously dude, that's crying over spilt milk. You knew what dj'ing at weddings entails, and you realize you lack the proper music. Yet you still took the gig, so don't berate folks for wanting the top 40 stuff, that comes w/ the territory.

Yes, perhaps it's best to leave these gigs for folks willing to put in work.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    seriously dude, that's crying over spilt milk. You knew what dj'ing at weddings entails, and you realize you lack the proper music. Yet you still took the gig, so don't berate folks for wanting the top 40 stuff, that comes w/ the territory.

Hate to say it but Aser is dead on point here. DJing weddings DO suck (even if the scrill is good) but the gig, by nature, is all-request. Seriously, how many "non-request" wedding DJs are really out there? (Not saying they don't exist, just saying they're few and far between).

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

EXACTLY.

My CLUB gigs are almost exclusively vinyl-only 60s-70s obscurities or CD-based strictly Indian music, and we hardly ever honor requests. But when I'm hired for a WEDDING I let the bride & groom dictate the playlist as much as they want. If you have to play crap music, so be it; it's their day, not the DJ's.

Accept this fact or don't accept wedding gigs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In dude's post he makes a point of saying he wasn't hired
    by the family, though, but by the club, which gave me the impression
    he was told he could just do his regular gig. I hear what y'all
    are saying, but give him a little slack, jeez!

And the Pops straight up saying "YOU SUCK" is pretty rough.
    I think if it were me he woulda caught a mixer in the grill
    if he talked like that to my face -- for real.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I see your point but I was hired by the restaurant and they know what I play and don't play (usually I play whatever I want). I did a wedding party before there and it was the right type of crowd for what I was spinning (little top 40). To me it's like hiring a house DJ to spin a hip-hop jam, they knew the music that I spin yet they still asked me to play. I think they should have asked the organizer of the event exactly what they wanted first. It sucks that I took all the blame when it was there mistake hiring the wrong type of DJ for the event. Ya smell me. Basically I was told nothing before hand, they just said come down and do a set.

In dude's post he makes a point of saying he wasn't hired
    by the family, though, but by the club, which gave me the impression
    he was told he could just do his regular gig. I hear what y'all
    are saying, but give him a little slack, jeez!

If it was his first wedding gig, sure, slack would be given. But dude he said it "always sucks" so he knew what he was in for. Whenever I get hired for a special gig like this, the first thing I do is get in touch with the people who are throwing the party and ask for requests in advance. That way I'm prepared, they're happy, and everyone wins.

And my post-wedding SoulStrut bitch posts are still just as interesting, just not as salty.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    And the Pops straight up saying "YOU SUCK" is pretty rough.
    I think if it were me he woulda caught a mixer in the grill
    if he talked like that to my face -- for real.

Seriously, I wanted to KO the guy sooooo bad but that would have been

If I see him on the street it's ON! lol

Basically I was told nothing before hand, they just said come down and do a set.

I actually do hear you on this point. In fact I just did a party this past Friday at PETA's home office in Norfolk VA and when I asked for requests a month ago, the woman in charge just said, "Just bring a cross selection. This will be a very causal event, and doubt anyone will dance. Whatever you choose will be fine."

Since at that point I didn't have anybody to go to for guidance, I just brought a complete mishmash of styles and hoped they stuck. Luckily I got a lot of compliments and people even wrote down some of the songs I was playing. Just for kicks, here's what animal rights people are especially feeling nowadays:

Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" & "Smiley Faces"
    Da Backwudz "Welcome 2 Da Backwudz"
    Nelly Furtado "No Hay Igual"
    MIA "Galang" & "Bucky Done Gun"
    Swami "Desi Rock"

Plus one guy dug the "60s stuff with beats behind it" I played and girls DID dance.

Though I must admit I got two requests for "oldies" (i.e. Beatles and Righteous Brothers or "something peaceful") that I wasn't able to honor.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "something peaceful" that I wasn't able to honor.

Dude I mean you couldn't have predicted that a 30 minute Slayer medley might not go over well at a PETA function?

Dude I mean you couldn't have predicted that a 30 minute Slayer medley might not go over well at a PETA function?

b/w

When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    People hiring unknown DJs for their wedding party are kinda strange anyways. It's not your fault. People on here are being kinda harsh. Those fools hired a random DJ. For their son's/daughter's wedding party! How weak!
    Unless you were hired as a "wedding DJ" for playing a fixed DJ set and you couldn't play their favorite music, it's not your fault!

If you ask me, DJs at weddings are kinda

I'd hire a band. Live music is best. You have to know the DJ that is supposed to play music on your wedding well. Otherwise, hire a band and tell the band what they are supposed to play!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

I'm imagining the fight in my own private mind garden:

Ponyboy stepped out of his house and onto the street. Hardly a second had passed when Ponyboy's nemesis, DaddyDearest, the leader of the Socs, crossed the street in front of him. Their eyes met and locked. DaddyDearest smirked, "You're that shitty DJ that played at my daughter's wedding. You fucked up my good time. I work a 9-5 and took out a second mortgage on my house in order to pay for that day. I'm GONNA kill you."

Ponyboy squared off and retorted, "Old man, you just don't appreciate the modern soul raers I dig for. I'll tell you what, I'm gonna get the Greasers together and we're gonna have ourselves a rumble, dig? 5:00pm @ www.soulstrut.com ! It's on square."

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Ponyboy stepped out of his house and onto the street. Hardly a second had passed when Ponyboy's nemesis, DaddyDearest, the leader of the Socs, crossed the street in front of him. Their eyes met and locked. DaddyDearest smirked, "You're that shitty DJ that played at my daughter's wedding. You fucked up my good time. I work a 9-5 and took out a second mortgage on my house in order to pay for that day. I'm GONNA kill you."

Ponyboy squared off and retorted, "Old man, you just don't appreciate the modern soul raers I dig for. I'll tell you what, I'm gonna get the Greasers together and we're gonna have ourselves a rumble, dig? 5:00pm @ www.soulstrut.com ! It's on square."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just for kicks, here's what animal rights people are especially feeling nowadays:

Swami "Desi Rock"

This sounds exactly right.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

That's so good you could almost make a movie based on it.

Just for kicks, here's what animal rights people are especially feeling nowadays:

Swami "Desi Rock"

This sounds exactly right.

So multicultural, so edgy, and most of all, so Becky.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Speaking of this topic we did are thing this weekend. Easy as they come son.

They practically wanted to hear nothing but Spanish jams that the family had brought so it was simple as fuck. We played some current and old classic dance jams here and there for unnecessary variety but it turned out great.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Weddings are a bitch if don't have a catalog of thousands of songs that goes from Benny Goodman to the Ying Yang Twins. 2-3 three crates of your most noticeable/recognizable hip-hop, disco, soul, jazz etc. just won't cut it. Cause everyone from Grandpa Joe age 96 to Cousin Joey age 6 wants to hear somethin'...most likely something you don't have. I've been hired by a few people who know me and know what I play...but it never fails that some drunk is going to pester/berate/insult you for what you play. One step mother of the bride fucked with me so much that I stopped the record on her (during Brick House or Staying Alive no less so you know the party was jammin', wedding crowds loooove some shitty disco), everyone stopped dancing and looked up like what the fuck? Told her to step off or I'd shut it down. Needless to say she quit fuckin' with me. Although that made it a bit harder to get paid since her husband was on the hook for the bill...
    At that point I didn't care, my payment was the look of terror and embarassment on her face when 50 dancing fools simultaneously gave her the gas face and she ran for the nearest exit!
    Beware the rath of the wedding DJ!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Bombay Bitches!

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

Bombay Bitches!

This is the greatest thing on the interweb in ages!!!

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Speaking of this topic we did are thing this weekend. Easy as they come son.

They practically wanted to hear nothing but Spanish jams that the family had brought so it was simple as fuck. We played some current and old classic dance jams here and there for unnecessary variety but it turned out great.

When I got married last year, my wife-to-be entrusted me with the music--and nothing else. I paid an all-vinyl DJ to play a 70's soulset: Motown, Meters and so on. But I made no requests, only broad strokes.

M'fucka rocked that shit.
    Hard.
    Nobody complained. If they did, I'd have told them to step off. My day, my money, DJ hooked me up.

That dad sounds like a real jerk...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I was in a wedding that had a live band a couple months ago. It was the best. They killed it with some great 70s soul classics. They even learned "Be My Baby" by the Meters for the first dance.

• beatstew72beatstew72 314 Posts
    djing weddings is not a good look. i will only hook it up for good friends, and they must totally fuckin understand what my crates are all about. and be prepared to make a fool step-off if need be.
    the last random wedding i took on for money about 2 years back was the worst and final time for me. mo-fos were in the bar in other side of space ALL NIGHT and eventually i was like, fuck it, and told the bride i'm done, and packed my gear. of course then some drunk assmonkey was like "wtf?? you better refund the money man or i'll find you..." and i was like, "yeahm go fo yiself. you need a luden."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm DJing a wedding at the end of July, and when I sat down with the bride and groom to go over what they wanted, they said, "Classic rock and big-time hits for maybe 45 minutes, then James Brown, A Tribe Called Quest, and Stevie Wonder type stuff the rest of the time."

This is the first wedding I'm actually kind of looking forward to DJing rather than dreading.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I'm DJing a wedding at the end of July, and when I sat down with the bride and groom to go over what they wanted, they said, "Classic rock and big-time hits for maybe 45 minutes, then James Brown, A Tribe Called Quest, and Stevie Wonder type stuff the rest of the time."

This is the first wedding I'm actually kind of looking forward to DJing rather than dreading.

whether it s a wedding or some other gig: just know your crowd! Usually, if I do weddings, I ask them to provide me with music that I dont have and they want to hear fo sure..and I only do it if I was recommended by someone close to me...always worked out well..but I rather play festivals like this, ha urbanrapublic.cz

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    djing weddings is not a good look. i will only hook it up for good friends, and they must totally fuckin understand what my crates are all about. and be prepared to make a fool step-off if need be.
    the last random wedding i took on for money about 2 years back was the worst and final time for me. mo-fos were in the bar in other side of space ALL NIGHT and eventually i was like, fuck it, and told the bride i'm done, and packed my gear. of course then some drunk assmonkey was like "wtf?? you better refund the money man or i'll find you..." and i was like, "yeahm go fo yiself. you need a luden."

Really a terrible look. Like the worst I've seen in a while.

• djing weddings is not a good look. i will only hook it up for good friends, and they must totally fuckin understand what my crates are all about. and be prepared to make a fool step-off if need be.

Really a terrible look. Like the worst I've seen in a while.

Indeed.

I was sought out and flown down to florida to dj a wedding and I still had to compete with the ice luge for attention all night. But I wasn't mad. It is an ice luge, after all. And it worked in my favor as the night moved on.

TIP: If you have an ice luge at your wedding, put it next to the dancefloor, not outside in the cocktail area.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

alias. this has to be a joke.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

b/w

When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong

So, how did "Shock the Monkey" go over?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

If you ask me, DJs at weddings are kinda

I was at a Polish wedding this weekend. All of the music was polish versions of jock rock techno hits performed by a trio that included keyboard, drum machine, and female vocalist. People were fucking loving it too. Worst shit I ever heard, but some of the most entertaining dance moves I have ever seen. Old Polish dude in a top hat doing high kicks to fucking techno. I must add this event induced one of the worst headaches I have ever had. Polish beer is good.