That's the last time I DJ a wedding !!!

2»

Comments

• djing weddings is not a good look. i will only hook it up for good friends, and they must totally fuckin understand what my crates are all about. and be prepared to make a fool step-off if need be.
    the last random wedding i took on for money about 2 years back was the worst and final time for me. mo-fos were in the bar in other side of space ALL NIGHT and eventually i was like, fuck it, and told the bride i'm done, and packed my gear. of course then some drunk assmonkey was like "wtf?? you better refund the money man or i'll find you..." and i was like, "yeahm go fo yiself. you need a luden."

alias. this has to be a joke.

You clearly "need a luden"....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    In dude's post he makes a point of saying he wasn't hired
    by the family, though, but by the club, which gave me the impression
    he was told he could just do his regular gig. I hear what y'all
    are saying, but give him a little slack, jeez!

And the Pops straight up saying "YOU SUCK" is pretty rough.
    I think if it were me he woulda caught a mixer in the grill
    if he talked like that to my face -- for real.

You'd floor him at his daughter's wedding because he didn't like your music?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That's so good you could almost make a movie based on it.

Bombay Bitches!

This is the greatest thing on the interweb in ages!!!

Huge co-sign!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

If you ask me, DJs at weddings are kinda

I was at a Polish wedding this weekend. All of the music was polish versions of jock rock techno hits performed by a trio that included keyboard, drum machine, and female vocalist. People were fucking loving it too. Worst shit I ever heard, but some of the most entertaining dance moves I have ever seen. Old Polish dude in a top hat doing high kicks to fucking techno. I must add this event induced one of the worst headaches I have ever had. Polish beer is good.

Weddings are great. You meet with them before the wedding and get an idea of what they like.* Then, you simply bring that stuff and kill it. I mean fucking kill it! It's that simple. Everybody is so happy! Bridesmaids bringing you bottles of champagne and shit. I love it. And the pay is retarded.

The only problem I have is always running over the "allotted time" at the venue--which is always way too early! Then, I get the mad ice grills from the staff when I'm packing up.

*If they ask for music I don't have or truly hate, I'll refer them to someone else.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

If you ask me, DJs at weddings are kinda

I was at a Polish wedding this weekend. All of the music was polish versions of jock rock techno hits performed by a trio that included keyboard, drum machine, and female vocalist. People were fucking loving it too. Worst shit I ever heard, but some of the most entertaining dance moves I have ever seen. Old Polish dude in a top hat doing high kicks to fucking techno. I must add this event induced one of the worst headaches I have ever had. Polish beer is good.

Weddings are great. You meet with them before the wedding and get an idea of what they like.* Bring that stuff and kill it. I mean fucking kill it. It's that simple. Everybody is so happy! Bridesmaids bringing you bottles of champagne and shit.

The only problem I have is always running over the "allotted time" at the venue which is always way too early! Then, I get the mad ice grills from the staff when I'm packing up.

*If they ask for music I don't have or truly hate, I'll refer them to someone else.

Yeah, I have no beef with wedding djs, though I have seen more bad ones then good. The polish folks loved that shit so the trio did their job. The majority of the people loved it. It wasn't my thing, but it also wasn't my wedding. Which is why I would never have complained to them at the wedding. I hate when the majority of people at a wedding or club are obviously having a good time and the one asshole that isn't has to be a dick about it. The bride and groom had a good time thats all that really matters.

Last one I did, the Mother of the Groom was on my shit all night.

She was all, "Play some 'jitterbug music' (and shook her titties at me like and old Vegas showgirl)"

I just said OK and ignored her. Everybody was dancing.

She kept coming back. "Where's that jitterbug?"--snaping her fingers at me.

I asked, "What do you mean by jitterbug?"

She got real serious. "What kind of DJ doesn't know what jitterbug is?"

I said, "Well, I'm thinking you mean 30s era jazz like Fats Waller or maybe Bennie Goodman?" "I don't think that would work right now (Rock With You was playing), but I'll work it in ASAP."

She got even more belligerent, "No, I mean real "jitterbug' from the 70s!" and pointed her finger at the deck. "Play it right now!"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I have only done a handful of weddings...when appraoched, I ALWAYS say what I play and that I only play vinyl. Also if they have any requests, they have to have them to me at least a week before the event so I can track them down. So far this has worked and I havent had any horrible wedding experiences.

The worst gig ever, that I would NEVER accept again, is a Junior College Christmas Party...worst four hours of MY life. Talk about not having ANY requests in my crate...I honestly had never heard of any of the artists they asked for. I was SO outta touch with these kids. I will never forget the look on the girl's face when I said I didnt have any "Booty Rap".

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    If I see him on the street it's ON! lol

I'm imagining the fight in my own private mind garden:

Ponyboy stepped out of his house and onto the street. Hardly a second had passed when Ponyboy's nemesis, DaddyDearest, the leader of the Socs, crossed the street in front of him. Their eyes met and locked. DaddyDearest smirked, "You're that shitty DJ that played at my daughter's wedding. You fucked up my good time. I work a 9-5 and took out a second mortgage on my house in order to pay for that day. I'm GONNA kill you."

Ponyboy squared off and retorted, "Old man, you just don't appreciate the modern soul raers I dig for. I'll tell you what, I'm gonna get the Greasers together and we're gonna have ourselves a rumble, dig? 5:00pm @ www.soulstrut.com ! It's on square."

hilarious.

'keep it gold ponyboy'

I saw that movie the other day, fuckin awful.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Old Polish dude in a top hat doing high kicks to fucking techno.

I was hired a few weeks ago to do a 50th birthday party. They were typical white southern boomers. They asked for classic rock. Period. I have to admit, I was totally into that! I had been dying to rock my La Grange 12". Just in case, I brought some of my wedding boxes. After about 11:00, the boomers were pooped out and I was left with about 30 of their teenage kids. I thought I was fucked. I broke out the emergency Prince/MJ/DeeLite axis type shit. And they loved it. Then they started asking for 80s. We're talking 12-18 year olds. Go figure.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have only done a handful of weddings...when appraoched, I ALWAYS say what I play and that I only play vinyl. Also if they have any requests, they have to have them to me at least a week before the event so I can track them down. So far this has worked and I havent had any horrible wedding experiences.

The worst gig ever, that I would NEVER accept again, is a Junior College Christmas Party...worst four hours of MY life. Talk about not having ANY requests in my crate...I honestly had never heard of any of the artists they asked for. I was SO outta touch with these kids. I will never forget the look on the girl's face when I said I didnt have any "Booty Rap".

My wedding experiences have been pretty positive, but it never fails that someone with absolutely NO taste or tact will make your experience miserable if only for a minute.

And in that vein, some girl at my Saturday monthly dance night lectured me for 5 minutes(while I am trying to work, *ahem*, seemed like 5 hours) on why people like The Boss and how Springsteen is necessary dance music for all audience because 'everyone' loves and knows 80s music and the Boss and that's what I should be playing.