Freestyle dance music, 95% Asians listened to it?

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
Freestyle dance music, 95% Asians/Filipino's listened to it?1985-89 In my neck of the woods people was into FreeStyle Dance Joints, you know:Lisa LisaCover GirlsMONETTrinereDebbie DebShannonExpose???Judy TorresStevie BCynthiaJohhny OTolgaMKGTKABut what I noticed mostly was that Asian Americans and Filipino???s was really into that type of music, and 95% of them wanted to or did DJ???? I???m pretty sure it was like that in LA, SF, San Diego??? Was it like that in other places? Did you where your hair up with lots of hair spray? Did you peg your pants? Did you where a turtleneck shirt under your button up shirt? Did you where 2 types of Polo shirts so the collar would be a different color??? Just wondering if Freestyle Dance music was rockin near your crib? And what was Your Favorite cut?

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    this is a blazing thread. sadly, i think im a little to young for it.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Lisa Lisa

Can I just say that I totally hate the Black Eyed Peas for desecrating Lisa Lisa's classic hook? "Don't phunk with my ears," plaese.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    COMEDY MANGO! We were just taking about this hommie. I'm waiting for the Mangoman freestyle mix cd. What's the deal? Lisa Lisa "take you home" is the JOINT! Filipino's in Seattle will roll through Chinatown in a lowered Honda Accord playin' Stevie B. on blast like WHAT! Filipino's in the Yay LOVE some freestyle joints. I went to a house party in Daly City in the 80s and it was....

"FREESTYLE ALL NIGHT LONG, SAY WHAT? FREESTYLE ALL NIGHT LONG, SAY WHAT? FREESTYLE ALL NIGHT LONG!"

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Lisa Lisa "take you home" is the JOINT!

I approve of this thread.

Shannon, LET THE MUSIC PLAY.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Freestyle is AWESOME, I just picked up some 12's at the thrift yesterday, An Exposee one, Cover Girls one and a few others plus Pebbles "Mercedes Boy" (what genre would this song be considered?)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

finally, an appopriate place for this pic! Wait, is that really you?

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Freestyle in Texas was like 95% Latino with "When I Hear Music" as the crowning jewel of the scene.

• That tie is tight.

SONIC

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Nice & Wild's "Diamond Girl" is in the mix I'm doing now.

Cover Girls had one good song, and it was when the good looking singer was in the group. Shit, it was a good song too.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Freestyle in Texas was like 95% Latino with "When I Hear Music" as the crowning jewel of the scene.

ASIAN FILIPINO BITE THE LATINO???

finally, an appopriate place for this pic! Wait, is that really you?

That's the high standard Glenn Miyashiro aims for each and every day he wakes up with a smile on his face and no less than $10,000 in his wallet. Big Tymers my ace!

More like the other way around if you consider how the Spaniards got to the ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the islands? And infiltrate the ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh place?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

same here in LA g', was a latin thang...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

same here in LA g', was a latin thang...

Dudes, it is a Latin thing. The genre is 'Latin Freestyle.'

Dudes it is a Latin thing. The genre is 'Latin Freestyle.'
    Thank you.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thank you.

no doubt, I think Mango is trying to say:

Asians listened to it?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Thank you.

Monet? Expos??? L'Trimm? Obviously dudes it's a French thing.

no doubt, I think Mango is trying to say:

Asians listened to it?

There we go. I didn't think this was a Latin vs. Filipino battle over who created the genre. Speaking of which, are there any Filipino versions of Taylor Dayne's "Tell It To My Heart"?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Some of the hardest looking dudes are into this shit. Boggles the fuckin mind. My girl loves the shit. (She's still chola at heart)

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    we had a thread like this a few months back with pretty tony's complete discog.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    it was first called latin hip hop, then freestyle...

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

More like the other way around if you consider how the Spaniards got to the ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the islands? And infiltrate the ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh place?

Interesting, I did talk with heads in the bronx most def a latin thing over their and Florida, & wasn't a lot of the freestyle singers producers latino's, right... Shoot I'm not even 100% Asian, I'm Japanesse/Turkish/Peruvian,It's cool to see how it was pending where you lived, good example of product of your enviroment... Still nobody could mess with Lydia Lee Love "the kickin live remix" mixed with Pam Russo! Now that's some classic ish like Steaphine's Get Away....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Shit... Freestyle was huge in Toronto right up til the mid 90's... Until Euro stepped in and pulled the huge european & Latin following. We were selling Joey "Died in your arms tonight" 12"s by the truckload around the time Freestlye finally died in the mainstream dance charts.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    This fashion style you mention seems to be second gen. asians and latinos trying to sport the very latest in 80s Preppie Fashions, so it's an aspirational thing like Tommy Hilfiger that has nothing to do with the music. You need to talk about white lacy shirts with black leggings and Reebok aerobic shoes, complicated necklaces, and Big Hair. You know, on the chicks. Some of that Chess King steez.

Also, it's amazing what people on here will freely admit to diggin. Whenever I post trades I try to go safe, but I should just post some of the most unplayable shit and watch the PMs fly. Anyone need to complete their Sound Of New York discography?

Lisa Lisa was cool though

Also, anyone need this?

I should just post some of the most unplayable shit and watch the PMs fly.
    What is "unplayable" about freestyle? That shit is great party music. I don't know if I could handle or spin a full night but a little part of a set for sure.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    There's a guy in Denmark who's out to collect every freestyle rekkid made...
    he's not far from the goal.

faves are "shed a tear" & "good things come to those who wait"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Lisa Lisa "take you home" is the JOINT!

I approve of this thread.

Shannon, LET THE MUSIC PLAY.

That's dat shit right there. Don't front!!!! Cats from the 80's know.... Don't leave out "The Word is Out" by Jermaine Stewart though! The hype!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"The Word is Out" by Jermaine Stewart though! The hype!!!

Fo Sho! That was about the time as Free World by Jesse Johnson I think... Though Free World wasn't very freestyle... What about we don't have to take our cloths off! Sure shot fo sho also...

faves are "shed a tear" & "good things come to those who wait"

Who did those tracks?

How about April and Coro, & India!