walmart netflix together ...AHHHHH i'm melting!!

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/may2005/pi20050519_1098_pi004.htm

and then i went to the netflix page and this is what i saw:

i do not approve of this unholy union

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    fuck, this sucks

at least they don't own them....

yet

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I just realized audrey ganked that picture of the bear I posted on here a few weeks ago. Luckily, I originally ganked it from project blowed so I can't be too mad.

-e

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    C.R.E.A.M.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I just realized audrey ganked that picture of the bear I posted on here a few weeks ago. Luckily, I originally ganked it from project blowed so I can't be too mad.

-e

get out of here with your lightweight bear talk and lets talk about serious matters here, such as how the bear feels about netflix working with nasty nasty walmart

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    EMYND BIT PROJECT BLOWED!

• weeeeeeak. might be time to switch to greencine.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

weeeeeeak. might be time to switch to greencine.

Never heard of this one. I will check it out.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Maybe they will start only renting censored dvd's now. Like all the censored cd's walmart sells.

Maybe they will start only renting censored dvd's now. Like all the censored cd's walmart sells.

I was going to ask that too, because Wal-Mart is notorious for pulling down offensive material, be it posters or CD's.

I remember years ago, K-Mart had removed a certain CD or poster, and right next to the music section was the sporting section, complete with a nice sign which said AMMO.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/may2005/pi20050519_1098_pi004.htm

and then i went to the netflix page and this is what i saw:

i do not approve of this unholy union

So....how'd you rate "Stoked"?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Why don't ya'll just really do the right thing and support your local indipendent movie rental place, assuming your failure to do so over the last few years hasn't caused them to shut their doors for ever.

Why don't ya'll just really do the right thing and support your local indipendent movie rental place, assuming your failure to do so over the last few years hasn't caused them to shut their doors for ever.

In my case there isn't one.

Actually I take that back. There's a video store on the East Side, but I don't understand Spanish.

believe me i would if they didn't only have 400 copies of the latest hillary duff movie, the thing is most movie places only deal with new releases and don't have anything prior to 1998, i want foreign and old movies which are sorely lacking at my local video spots

So....how'd you rate "Stoked"?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I guess we are lucky then to have this joint, it's really the only place I go:

www.casavideo.com

there is like only one really good video store in the metro area and it is about 50 miles away (or at least seems like it) from the backwoods i currently inhabit, and they rent for only 1 day and there is no way iam making that trip so netflix is quite easy on my pocket and my ride, but iam totally for helping local business, its just not practical in this case

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I do.

But Netflix is certainly something that has enormous appeal to lots of folks.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's not the end of the world if you support walmart. It's a personal choice that has far reaching consequences, but that is one you make yourself. Let's not be judgemental of people who shop at walmart, some are doing it out of necessity.

Also there are viable alternatives to netflix if you look hard enough. Greencine will satisfy your criterion/foreign film urges........Just don't expect it to be as fast as netflix since they lack the buying power of the goliath. Again it's a personal choice you make, are you willing to sacrifice convenience for your beliefs?

It's a personal choice that has far reaching consequences, but that is one you make yourself. Let's not be judgemental of people who shop at walmart, some are doing it out of necessity.

absolutely. it's my personal choice that if i don't need to support walmart, i won't. i realize some people don't have that option.

as for supporting my neighborhood video stores, i have ridiculous fines in all 3 of them

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I fucks with walmart. Whats the matter with walmart?

I wear nike's too.

I own some shit from the gap.

all that shit bitches!

Is netflix worth it?

I think im gonna do it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

as for supporting my neighborhood video stores, i have ridiculous fines in all 3 of them

sweet talk the young guy bhind the counter and watch them fines magically disappear.

As for local spots to find shit to rent. My local spot is also the same place that fired me on Christmas Eve after I complained about other employees putting swastikas on the bathroom wall.

I'm kinda through with them.

theres others spots that are a bit of a drve away, but as a film student who has to watch 50+ movies per semester Netflix has become a reliable friend

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I fucks with walmart. Whats the matter with walmart?

I think most big companies are guilty of corporate indiscretions to some extent (e.g. Nike), but the more I read about Walmart the more I'm convinced that it's a fundamentally despicable franchise that parasitizes the low-income work force.

see: http://www.destinys-darlin.com/thoughts/walmart.html for a brief list of Walmart atrocities.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    see: http://www.destinys-darlin.com/thoughts/walmart.html for a brief list of Walmart atrocities.

Walmart is guilty of the following:

discriminating against women

denying their employees health insurance

not covering birth control for those employees for which they do provide insurance

allow their pharmacists to deny filling prescriptions, even when they are the only pharmacist in town

lowering their prices below cost to close small businesses then, raising their prices to a much higher level

Walmart has stopped selling a pregnant Barbie doll.

It's not just me that believes this, check out what all these other people have to say...

Yo, I'm no Wal-Mart lover or anything (we really don't even have them in my area, except out in the burbs), but as sad as that list is, it is nothing unusual. I could probably find 5 or 6 businesses within a few blocks of me that are guilty of most of those "atrocities." Not defending, just saying, the big dog gets all the attention, when it is the society that allows this type of activity that is fucked.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    this has been going on for a while now. my parents have been gettin dvds from this for about a year.

you cant fight walmart. who saw the south park walmart episode>???? hilarious!!!

Walmart is guilty of the following:

discriminating against women
    denying their employees health insurance
    not covering birth control for those employees for which they do provide insurance
    allow their pharmacists to deny filling prescriptions, even when they are the only pharmacist in town
    lowering their prices below cost to close small businesses then, raising their prices to a much higher level
    Walmart has stopped selling a pregnant Barbie doll.
    It's not just me that believes this, check out what all these other people have to say...

Yo, I'm no Wal-Mart lover or anything (we really don't even have them in my area, except out in the burbs), but as sad as that list is, it is nothing unusual. I could probably find 5 or 6 businesses within a few blocks of me that are guilty of most of those "atrocities." Not defending, just saying, the big dog gets all the attention, when it is the society that allows it this type of activity that is fucked.

I see what you're getting at, but it's also the big dogs that are capable of the largest injustices.

From http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0214-28.htm

"Wal-Mart has lawsuits pending against it in 38 states over allegations of cheating employees out of overtime pay. It has locked employees in its stores overnight to reduce theft. And it's the defendant in a class-action suit alleging sex discrimination against more than a million past and present female employees."

From the Nation:

"As if that weren't bad enough, Wal-Mart found yet another group of people to offend (besides women, immigrants, African-Americans, worldwide organized labor and small businesspeople). A full-page ad in the (Flagstaff) Arizona Daily Sun outraged Jewish groups with a 1933 photo showing Nazis burning books, outrageously implying that Wal-Mart critics were fascists, and trivializing the Holocaust. The ad, paid for by Wal-Mart and bearing the name of one of the many Wal-Mart-sponsored fake "community" groups, urged readers to vote "no" on a proposition that would limit the size of future Wal-Mart stores in the area. The text read, "Should we let government tell us what we can read? Of course not. So why should we allow local government to limit where we can shop?""

Is that really "not unusual"?

Check this out if you're interested in learning more: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    it's not the end of the world if you support walmart. It's a personal choice that has far reaching consequences, but that is one you make yourself. Let's not be judgemental of people who shop at walmart, some are doing it out of necessity.

Also there are viable alternatives to netflix if you look hard enough. Greencine will satisfy your criterion/foreign film urges........Just don't expect it to be as fast as netflix since they lack the buying power of the goliath. Again it's a personal choice you make, are you willing to sacrifice convenience for your beliefs?

I've done a pretty extensive comparison between Greencine and Netflix and all the essential foreign movies are the same. I couldn't find any difference.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    oh yeah another good one to rent from is

http://www.facets.org/asticat

if you're in the chicago area that is.

Other fun facts about Walmart:

- Wal-Mart sales clerks made an average of $8.23 an hour???or $13,861 a year???in 2001. That's nearly $800 below the federal poverty line for a family of three. (Source: Business Week)
    - In Georgia, Wal-Mart employees are six times more likely to rely on state-provided health care for their children than are employees of any other large company. (Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
    - Reliance on public assistance programs in California by Wal-Mart workers costs the state's taxpayers an estimated $86 million annually. (Source: UC Berkeley Study)
    - In the first decade after Wal-Mart arrived in Iowa, the state lost 555 grocery stores, 298 hardware stores, 293 building supply stores, 161 variety stores, 158 women's apparel stores, 153 shoe stores, 116 drugstores, and 111 men's and boys' apparel stores. (Source: Iowa State University Study)
    - Every year Wal-Mart purchases $15 billion worth of products from China. (Source: Washington Post)
    - Today Wal-Mart uses over 3,000 Chinese factories to produce its goods???almost as many factories as it has stores in the U.S. (3,600). (Source: L.A. Times)
    - All else being equal, U.S. counties where new Wal-Mart stores were built between 1987 and 1998 experienced higher poverty rates than other U.S. counties. (Source: Pennsylvania State University Study)]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    See, now I find myself in this weird spot again, not wanting to "defend" Wal Mart, but I just feel the need to show that, as bad as those stats are, they are not radically unusual for the USA in 2005 :

- Wal-Mart sales clerks made an average of $8.23 an hour???or $13,861 a year???in 2001. That's nearly $800 below the federal poverty line for a family of three. (Source: Business Week)

Unfortunately, $8.23 an hour is more than $3 above the national minimum wage. And is even fifty cents above Massachusetts' state minimum wage, which is pretty high for the country. Is it a good wage? No. Is it an unusual wage in the USA today? Are you kidding? I would bet plenty of people go to work at Wal Mart because the $8 an hour they get is so much higher than the $6.50 they get at their current job.

- In Georgia, Wal-Mart employees are six times more likely to rely on state-provided health care for their children than are employees of any other large company. (Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Over 40 million Americans are uninsured. Probably half of the jobs I have had did not offer health insurance. Wal Mart are greedy, and take advantage of the shoddy healthcare system in our country. They are far from alone.

- In the first decade after Wal-Mart arrived in Iowa, the state lost 555 grocery stores, 298 hardware stores, 293 building supply stores, 161 variety stores, 158 women's apparel stores, 153 shoe stores, 116 drugstores, and 111 men's and boys' apparel stores. (Source: Iowa State University Study)

In my lifetime, I have seen the entire face of a major metropolis (Boston) transform from an interesting mix of both long-standing and new private businesses, coffee shops, movie theaters, shoe stores, burger joints, record & book stores, etc, to a cookie-cutter town where there is a Starbucks on every corner, Boston University transformed an entire vibrant commercial area (Kenmore Square) into a huge BU food court, all the theaters are gone, most of the book & record stores are gone, replaced by Best Buy and at best Barnes & Noble...you get the idea. Corporate consolidation and the disappearance of the small merchant is epidemic, and, again, Wal Mart is just the biggest and best at it.
    (I miss my city )

- Every year Wal-Mart purchases $15 billion worth of products from China. (Source: Washington Post)
    - Today Wal-Mart uses over 3,000 Chinese factories to produce its goods???almost as many factories as it has stores in the U.S. (3,600)

A trend that will only continue, as the US keeps borrowing money from China to pay it's debts, it is precisely the billions of dollars spent by Wal Mart and countless others, increasing our trade deficit with China, that keeps them happy to lend us cash to bury ourselves with. A vicious circle, and yet another situation where Wal Mart merely takes advantage of US government policies that are destructive to the economy and the US working class.

Again, I'm not "pro" Wal Mart, I just think pointing at them and yelling "devil" is a little too easy, when it is our government and society that allows them, and others like them, to abuse the American taxpayer.