worst pressings.... EVAR

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
What is the worst sounding vinyl ever? So many options. Korean bootleg LPs? Styrene funk 45s? French BYG pressings? Fifth generation Jamaican pressings?

Comments

• Its a shame about the Large Pro lp but was there ever a officiel release?

Dress

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I have a reissue copy of Ice Cube's Amerikkka's Most Wanted that sounds like straight doo doo.

Its a shame about the Large Pro lp but was there ever a officiel release?

Dress
    Are you talking about the 2LP that was supposed to come out circa '95?
    I think that's a 'mythical raer'.

• Those Motown Acapella bootleg 12"s were garbage. Sounded like someone clearing their throat through a motorboat engine in the background. Plus one scratch and it turned into "FFFFFFFFF"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Apart from Ja pressings where the bass makes the needle skip and some parts of the grooves are not really groove shaped, I'd have to say anything by Funky Delicacies just on principle. And nobody else has ever verified that the Midnight Movers Unltd LP has a Mac or PC error tone left in there by mistake. But I heard it I swear! Must have happened when Fuchs's intern was recording it line-in from the original

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That OG Mulatu of Ethiopia sounds like ass. Also, the Linda Perhacs OG. It's amazing the sound quality of these doesnt really hinder the price.

And nobody else has ever verified that the Midnight Movers Unltd LP has a Mac or PC error tone [/b] left in there by mistake. But I heard it I swear! Must have happened when Fuchs's intern was recording it line-in from the original
    LMAO!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ray Alexander Technique LP

Most bootleg LPs

Note on Funky Delicacies: the Bo-releated 12" singles sound damn good, they had the masters (but the comp LPs sound like SHIT for some reason)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My bootleg "reissue" copies* of
    Eddie Fisher & the Next One Hundred Years
    and
    Lou Courtney "In Need Of Love"
    are awful...although I have heard the Eddie Fisher
    is just muddy no matter what pressing. The Lou Courtney
    is a piece of garbage, shitty cover and "new" LP that skips.

*although I will buy reissues, these are both LP's
    that I bought off eBay thinking they were OG and
    was sent shitty reissues instead.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Dress
    Are you talking about the 2LP that was supposed to come out circa '95?

I think that's a 'mythical raer'.

thats the one, never had any official release just that shitty shitty bootleg, unless perhaps there were leaked out promos...? Like the interscope promos of Fantastic vol.1... or the even more mystical KMD black bastards electra single vinyl LP promos whose existence has long been rumoured...
    There were CD's leaked of the first large pro album. Geffen promos.

or the even more mystical KMD black bastards electra single vinyl LP promos whose existence has long been rumoured...
    That KMD...I don't know man. Talked about, but I never saw nor heard anyone w/that KMD promo

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Dress

I have a double vinyl pressing of a label called "pioneers of hiphop", it says for dj use only, it's a bootleg i guess, but the quality is ok....dunno if it is that lp, but "i juswannachill" and "funky 2 listen 2" are on there...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Dress

I have a double vinyl pressing of a label called "pioneers of hiphop", it says for dj use only, it's a bootleg i guess, but the quality is ok....dunno if it is that lp, but "i juswannachill" and "funky 2 listen 2" are on there...

I had the above mentioned UK boot. And yes, it was unlistenably awful, except for songs like "Ijuswannachill" and "mad scientist," where they probably just stole the Geffen promo versions. The rest of it was shittyshitshitshit.

My bootleg "reissue" copies* of
    Eddie Fisher & the Next One Hundred Years
    and
    Lou Courtney "In Need Of Love"
    are awful...although I have heard the Eddie Fisher
    is just muddy no matter what pressing.

It is

Some of the Cadet/Chess pressings of that era are really badly mastered/pressed... electric mud indeed

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    this majority of things Aaron Fuc[k]s put out

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

Dress

Hiphopsite or some one line retailer offered free remastered cd copies of the LP when the last large professor album dropped. My guess is that the "pioneers of hip hop" pressing came out of that. It is the best sounding pressing of that album to date.

Worst pressing of a hip hop lp I own is "Step In The Arena." Its very quiet.

"Soul Brother" reissues from the UK are terrible. They did a double vinyl of the Marva Whitney that sounds way too bright. Indian pressings, in my limited experience, play with a lot of surface noise.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Bootleg's of Ztrip's Uneasy Listening include pauses between tracks even though it's a continous mix. There's a video on his site somewhere showing it.

There were CD's leaked of the first large pro album. Geffen promos.

I know it was leaked somehow, somewhere... but I don't think there were actual Geffen promos. There is a CD often sold on ebay as the 'original promo' and it is, in fact, a Euro bootleg that I have (nice packaging, but easily distinguishable as fake)

The first actual release was as a bonus CD with the LP Matador album...

• everything on the NEW JAZZ label sounds like the ocean.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    everything on the NEW JAZZ label sounds like the ocean.

co-sign. I was stoked to find a few nice OG New Jazz things a few years ago, but they sounded like total ass.

Eddie Fisher and the next 100 OG is the same - I hope someone remasters this at some point.

I'll add

EPS disks
    A LOT of private stuff.
    Alvin Cash "Twine Time" lp
    Folkways

EPS disks
    I think you mean ESP disks, Crink.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    There's no official Geffen promo CDs of the Large Professor album. There were advance promo tapes though and a CD sampler that had three Large Pro cuts and a bunch of other Geffen hip-hop artists on.
    Those CDs that used to clutter the 'Bay with the 'Mad Scientist-style' sleeves are bootlegs: 'One + One' with Nas was never scheduled to be on that album.
    The CD that Hiphopsite did with his last album as a giveaway was as close to legit as you'd get. Apparently the cuts were from Xtra P's own DATs.

For poor pressings, I'd (aprropriately, as we're talking about Large Pro) like to throw Akinyele's first album into the mix.

• As far as styrene 45s go, they don't beat clean vinyl, however, I will say that a styrene 45 that I've pulled out of nasty storage conditions always seems to play better than vinyl that has been sitting in those same conditions.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The OG Alvin Cash "Twine Time" LP sounds absolutely horrendous.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I understand its a piece of rap history... but I'll be damned If Im gonna try and sit and listen to the entire LP

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I've open TWO supposedly factory sealed original copies of General Crook's 1974 album on Wand. While they both appeared to be mint, clean, and shiny, they played G-...scratches and surface noise 4 dayz. Very puzzling.

Anyone ever heard a good, noiseless copy of this LP? Do they even exist?

SG

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    The OG Alvin Cash "Twine Time" LP sounds absolutely horrendous.

so much so that Pokora called it "garage"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've open TWO supposedly factory sealed original copies of General Crook's 1974 album on Wand. While they both appeared to be mint, clean, and shiny, they played G-...scratches and surface noise 4 dayz. Very puzzling.

I've had a similar experience with Johnny Jenkins Ton Ton Macoute on Capricorn, although it played better than G-, perhaps VG or VG-.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    ANYTHING that Sparton pressed here in Canada. They especially messed up the Impulse catalogue when they licensed it at the time. Some serious kak......

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I understand its a piece of rap history... but I'll be damned If Im gonna try and sit and listen to the entire LP

gawd yes

and let me add

didn't the label put out copies of this that were meant to skip?