worst pressings.... EVAR

2»

Comments

• Oh, yeah I must add Ultras "funk your head up" lp printed in Germany back when it came out....

Dress

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Ray Alexander Technique LP

co-sign!

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    the bootleg of teh Large Professor Lp - off a poorly dubbed tape? - takes some beating, its one of the worst sounding records I've ever heard.

It must be this one you're talking about... http://www.ohword.com/reviews/74/large-professor-the-lp

I had to sell mine. What's the fun in having it when it's totally unlistenable?

It's also a shame with the KMD as it's one of my favourite hip hop lps.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't know if its a shitty press in general (though quality was certainly dipping in the 80s) but the times I've tried to play Kleeer's "Intimate Connection" off LP in the club it was NO GOOD

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    the bootleg of teh Large Professor Lp

• I don't know if its a shitty press in general (though quality was certainly dipping in the 80s) but the times I've tried to play Kleeer's "Intimate Connection" off LP in the club it was NO GOOD

every clean copy i've had of this record plays worse than it appears

strange.

• oh and the Deep Throat soundtrack sounds like it was recorded in a closet

• DWGDWG 334 Posts

didn't the label put out copies of this that were meant to skip?

Yeah. The rumour was that Polygram wanted people to cop the CDs and tapes, so they did a shitty pressing on purpose.
    However, the promo vinyl version doesn't skip (it's that first track right? 'Still Diggin'?) and has two of the tracks that were only on the CD/tape and not the official vinyl pressing.

There's a reissue on double wax that's pretty good, from memory. And a shitty bootleg.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Oh yeah, another one I forgot:

MCB - MCB (1983, Epic)

Horribly mastered...all the sibilences and high end instruments (hi-hat) are distorted somehow, even the tracks at the lip of the LP.

SG

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Some of the later Cold Chillin' is rubbish - Biz Markie 'I Need a Haircut' and 'All Samples Cleared!' LP's for example.

And that Wood, Brass and Steel LP sounds absolutely terrible. The music too.

Never noticed a problem with my Lou Courtney reissue, I think this is a legit pressing though, so maybe you are talking about a different bootleg.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

EPS disks
    I think you mean ESP disks, Crink.

oops - haha! yeah ESP

Never noticed a problem with my Lou Courtney reissue, I think this is a legit pressing though, so maybe you are talking about a different bootleg.

AFAIK, there are two reissues of this album:
    1 - The Soul Brother edition, which I assume sounds OK as their CD reissue is pristine.
    2 - The garden variety bootleg. This does not have the Soul Brother logo on the cover.

SG

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

1 - The Soul Brother edition, which I assume sounds OK as their CD reissue is pristine.
    2 - The garden variety bootleg. This does not have the Soul Brother logo on the cover.

SG

Yeah, mine's some garbage sub-Scorpio press, it was one of those
    buy-it-now's where dude didn't say anything about repress and
    called it "rare" in the description. I was pissed when it was a
    reissue/boot, but since I had only paid $10 for it and didn't own
    it any format, I just kept it. I think this was pre-Soul Brother.
    It pissed me off because at the time the OG was only a $25-$30 LP
    on eBay anyway...

• Options
    ANYTHING that Sparton pressed here in Canada. They especially messed up the Impulse catalogue when they licensed it at the time. Some serious kak......

Beg to differ, Aaron. My Coltrane/Hartman mono LP is a great sounding record.

K.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    ANYTHING that Sparton pressed here in Canada. They especially messed up the Impulse catalogue when they licensed it at the time. Some serious kak......

Beg to differ, Aaron. My Coltrane/Hartman mono LP is a great sounding record.

K.

Wow....really K???? I can't say i ever thought they sounded good at all. But that record could never sound bad no matter what pressing.....

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Worst pressing of a hip hop lp I own is "Step In The Arena." Its very quiet.

Yes, mine too.

I've always been bothered by 100% Pure Poison's track "Windy C" -- I have a reish, but I understand the OG has the same exact problem with "S" sounds. Keeps me from liking it as much.

• i guess alot of ECO peerless shit sounds bad, i know my Los Babys lp sounds like its being played through a fucking CB radio

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    A few 7"s on that i have on Hi sound like shit and also The Classic Example LP on GSF sounds pretty rough.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    I don't know if its a shitty press in general (though quality was certainly dipping in the 80s) but the times I've tried to play Kleeer's "Intimate Connection" off LP in the club it was NO GOOD

every clean copy i've had of this record plays worse than it appears

strange.

Hmmh, I got the german pressing of this LP, but I would'nt say it sounds shitty. I listen to it right now. But I've got the feeling that this LP is very hard to find as an US pressing in Germany, the other LPs you could find easily.
    Other bad pressings that come to my mind are The Propositions Reish LP on Luv N' Haight and the Super Dudes 2LP on Pickwick.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Regarding the Kleeer- it sounds fine when I crank it at home, I'd never had any problems until I played it at a bar. I cranked it as loud as I could go and it still wasn't comparable in volume to the cuts before and after it.

It is at the end of an LP side and it is during the era when the majors were using shittier wax on LPs to force folks over to CD (perhaps that didn't go down in Germany however)

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

MCB - MCB (1983, Epic)

Horribly mastered...all the sibilences and high end instruments (hi-hat) are distorted somehow, even the tracks at the lip of the LP.

SG

Really?
    What pressing?
    I only ever had my US promo copy and it sounds great (from memory)

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

SG

I have the soul brother Marva Whitney on double vinyl & it sounds terrible. It was expensive too cause it was an import.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

SG

I have the soul brother Marva Whitney on double vinyl & it sounds terrible. It was expensive too cause it was an import.

Funny, cause the super-budget Lyn Collins "Female Preacher" and Marva Whitney
    boots actually sound pretty decent.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

SG

Funny, cause the super-budget Lyn Collins "Female Preacher" and Marva Whitney
    boots actually sound pretty decent.

I know. I grabbed the Marva because it was supposed to be "remastered better than any previous issue" & cause it had some bonus tracks. The budget single vinyl is a world better. There are some re-issues that are super - that double of Oneness of juju is dope - but I'm not buying anymore "Soul Brother" re-issues. I wish a japanese label would put some classics out on some quality vinyl. They do those cd's in little lp jackets. Just do that with wax. I'd love a hi-fidelity "Think" lp on on 200 gram Quiex wax. That would be cool

MCB - MCB (1983, Epic)

SG

Really?
    What pressing?
    I only ever had my US promo copy and it sounds great (from memory)

The US Epic OG issue of MCB I have has horrible sound on the high end of the spectrum (everything in that range sounds extremely distorted).

In regards to Soul Brother: I'm surprised about the issues folks are having with Soul Brother vinyl. Their CD's are pretty much class in terms of sound quality.

SG

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Yeah, definitly Alvin Cash or Gary U.S. Bonds on Legrand. The sound is

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    And nobody else has ever verified that the Midnight Movers Unltd LP has a Mac or PC error tone [/b] left in there by mistake. But I heard it I swear! Must have happened when Fuchs's intern was recording it line-in from the original
    LMAO!

i do have that reish and i have absolutely heard a Mac error tone in one of my reissues, but i cant recall if it was that one. just that goofy "BEEP" sound tucked in there, hahaha

on one of those 'batteria for the beatheads' comps (i think from Australia?), carolyn sullivans "dead" has a total needle jump - in the recording! (the record actually doesnt skip, but whatever LP they were working from DID... and they didnt notice.)

• earthingsearthings 78 Posts
    Is the Ray Alexander Technique LP really as bad quality as people say? I've been thinking about getting a copy, but don't know if it's worth it if it sounds shit. I have the 45 and that sounds good to me, maybe a bit muffled but still alright. Is the LP same, or worse?