Denver Headz Report! (Record Jaunt Related)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going to Denver for my job for a few weeks and hope to have fun and cop mad heat. Any top secret PM worthy spots out there? Anyone out yonder on Soulstrut? Also, for those who have been there, what's good to do/eat/etc? I need my excursion to be like Thanks and peaceT.N.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was just out there over Memorial Day. I rented a car and decided to hit every damn spot under the sun. My advice: GO SEE A ROCKIES GAME! Black & Read in Arvada is still worth hitting up but the downtown Denver spots are either dry or overpriced. Thrifts sucked ass too. WHAT HAPPENED, DENVER!!??

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I did real well at.... what's the real big one? WaxxTraxx or is that LV... anyway, yeah. It wasn't a goldmine with raers behind every placecard but I scored a reeeeeeaaaallll heavy piece never seen or heard before or since. Justin I think found a real heavy 45 that day too. Other odds and ends...

Would've liked to get to black & read... ahhhhhhhhhh

I did well at some other shop too can't remember the title off top though.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    m*&^%v d#$c the woman who runs that shop is mad cool, but sometimes their prices are crazy eddie.

m*&^%v d#$c the woman who runs that shop is mad cool, but sometimes their prices are crazy eddie.

Jerry's Record Exchange is on crack with his prices.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Keep it rollin folls! I'mma be there for awhile, I need raers and fun.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you want raers you better get your inspector gadget on. Shit ain't just falling from trees anymore I don't care where it is.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Black & Read in Arvada is still worth hitting up

It's all about the vintage pron room.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ewhhhh!!!! (Stephanie from Newhart Graemlin needed).

But seriously, if your looking to complete your Russ Meyer BetaMax tape collection, this is the place to do it.

Black and Read also just opened an Annex location 10miles south of the 1st location. Its all $1 records. Mostly junk, but a few gems can be had for those willing to dig.

Go go Gadget Raercopter!

If you want raers you better get your inspector gadget on. Shit ain't just falling from trees anymore I don't care where it is.

I agree. Denver, Detroit, Montreal have all let me down as of late. I was copping mad shit as late as 2004, but now it seems there is more competition and/or way too many shop owners up on everything. I mean there was a Breakwater S/t for $20 and a Mantra for $35 (both wacky looking disco records) in Jerry's Record Exchange. Is he waiting for that one Belgian guy to hit his shop while on vacation?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

I agree. Denver, Detroit, Montreal have all let me down as of late. I was copping mad shit as late as 2004, but now it seems there is more competition and/or way too many shop owners up on everything. I mean there was a Breakwater S/t for $20 and a Mantra for $35 (both wacky looking disco records) in Jerry's Record Exchange. Is he waiting for that one Belgian guy to hit his shop while on vacation?

I think "Jerry" gets randomly excited about using the 'net and goes thru his store and marks up stuff he thinks is hot. But dude has been sitting on the same $45 VG- copy of Mama Too Tight for like 5 years and I dont think he really cares if he sells it or not. Hes had a shop for at least 25+ years and just doesn't care. He also, supposedly, has a "basement filled with good stuff" that no one has ever seen. I have a buddy that worked for him like 5 years ago and loaded him up with all of these horrible, expensive UK Garage singles that hes been sitting on ever since. I laugh everytime i see them.

Inspector Gadget is a must in Denver.
    I'm sure its the same evrywhere.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    damn these outages! i wrote a whole frickin page and when i clicked submit it got wiped. sonofabitch! well, here we go again...

being one of the few if not only strut poster from Denver, let me break it down for you.

WaxTrax: 13th Ave. and Washington St., Denver - This is my home away from home. It is exactly as JP described. It's very very inexpensive (average $3 an LP, $.50 a 45), but it's not raers and private presses all day. However, you spend enough time digging in there and you're bound to find some dope shit for cheap. I would say it's more of a diamond mind - a shitload of dirt and a couple gems here and there.

Black & Read: 80th Ave. (roughly, it's nxt to hobby lobby) and Wadsworth Blvd, Arvada - Probably the most well rounded shop in town as far as price vs. selection. You'll find nice stuff here. Sometimes you'll find some $25 and up shit that's not worth that much, but ofte ntimes you find decent deals in the $5-12 range. Owner's name is Danny, odd guy, but very cool if you talk to him. He finds it interesting when young folks have collections of jazz and soul music. He really likes Jazz. Chat with him if you see him, MAYBE he'll cut you a deal.

Twist & Shout Underground: Alameda Ave. and Logan St., Denver - This place has a great selection, usually, but is known for its extremely high prices (it's in a yuppie-ish area). However, you can still find some deals. Owner's name is Paul, cool guy. Not known to cut too many deals though, as far as I know. Good selection of everything here, check the new arrivals bins in the front of the store.

Jerry's Record Exchange: Grant St. & Colfax Ave., Denver - the record spot on crack street. Make your way past the mob of homeless cats and crack fiends at the nearby bus stop and step into Jerry's, a little hole in the wall record store right near the Capitol downtown. They have some cool shit sometimes, but you'll run into $40 jazz raers that are worth $15-20. You might find some shit here, don't go out of your way to check this though. It's pretty near Wax Trax so you might stop in real quickly.

Bart's CD Cellar: Pearl Street Mall, Boulder - If you happen to make it to Boulder (which is only about 20-30 minutes from Black & Read), check out Bart's. It's on the Pearl Street Mall (we loves us some outdoor malls in Colorado). Talk to Vajra if he's around, he's a very cool dude and an ill turntablist (rolls with the Platter Pirates), he's been working there for years. I think he still does. Anyway, don't know if he'll cut you any deals or anything, but he might put you on to some other shit I don't know about.

Albums on the Hill: The Hill, Boulder - Right across from the CU-Boulder campus is this little strip called "The Hill". On the Hill right across from the Fox Theatre is a little spot called Albums on the Hill. Upstairs is some bullshit dance/hip hop store but the basement is a huge ugly mess of used LPs that are very roughly organized by genre. I've found one or two piueces here, nothing to go crazy about. It really is a mess down there.

Also, there used to be this lady that sold 45s out of her basement. I don't know if she's still around. If you look in the yllow pages for a place called "Hear Here", you should find her phone number. I've never been to her spot but have been hearing about it for years. Might be worth your while...

In addition to all of that, let me know if you need any more advice on places to eat or party or whatever. Peace.

G.B.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I think "Jerry" gets randomly excited about using the 'net and goes thru his store and marks up stuff he thinks is hot. But dude has been sitting on the same $45 VG- copy of Mama Too Tight for like 5 years and I dont think he really cares if he sells it or not. Hes had a shop for at least 25+ years and just doesn't care. He also, supposedly, has a "basement filled with good stuff" that no one has ever seen. I have a buddy that worked for him like 5 years ago and loaded him up with all of these horrible, expensive UK Garage singles that hes been sitting on ever since. I laugh everytime i see them.

Inspector Gadget is a must in Denver.
    I'm sure its the same evrywhere.

oh shit a fellow denverite. whattup.

funny shit. Jerry is a weird guy. I suspect some things about him and his employees... I really don't fuck with that place either.

GB, thanks for being so thorough mang.Thanks to everyone else too.GB, if you wanna meet up, I'll be out there for a big chunk of time. Holleur via PM.
    Thanks and peace
    T.N.