It happened again. A CD for over $200. Ebay Rel.

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Check this auction. Again Steady B is the cash cow. Steady B - Brak it down like this Auction number 4886795885PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    In his defense, that pose is the ultimate

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    y'know... CDs are just... not very cool. why do people drop loot like that? IMO, for any music thats not new/current, cds are just a hard copy in digital format. I suppose some people feel they are as 'real' as lps and other older formats, but the fact you can rip and copy then so easily just sorta makes em feel cheap to me. (and by "cheap"... i mean, never worth $200+! )

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    An Aussie Hip Hop Raer CD (only 500 pressed) went for $510AUD AKA 382.924 USD!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HILLTOP-HOODS-A-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    that sellers items usually go for a lot higher than they should. ive been outbid numerous times for his items with offers that are just plain ridiculous. i always suspected someone was jacking his prices, but who knows. that cd is rare, so...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    y'know... CDs are just... not very cool. why do people drop loot like that? IMO, for any music thats not new/current, cds are just a hard copy in digital format. I suppose some people feel they are as 'real' as lps and other older formats, but the fact you can rip and copy then so easily just sorta makes em feel cheap to me. (and by "cheap"... i mean, never worth $200+! )

Naw man, you don't get it: an original product is still an original product regardless of how closely it can be duplicated and copied. Once a CD goes out of print, even if you bootlegged it and digitally, it sounded EXACTLY the same, for the collector, it's not about whether all the 1s and 0s are the same...it's about owning "an original".

It is arbitrary of course, but no more arbitrary than anything else that's become collectible, including vinyl records.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Naw man, you don't get it: an original product is still an original product regardless of how closely it can be duplicated and copied. Once a CD goes out of print, even if you bootlegged it and digitally, it sounded EXACTLY the same, for the collector, it's not about whether all the 1s and 0s are the same...it's about owning "an original".

It is arbitrary of course, but no more arbitrary than anything else that's become collectible, including vinyl records.

I suspect that the only difference(and it's a minor one, cuz all vinyl collectors are certainly not collecting equally either), is that CD collectors seem to be more swayed by the legit reissues than some vinyl collectros are. I would bet my next paycheck that if those Steady B and Main Source CDs were put back in circulation next week those ebay prices would soon plummet. And this would not hold true of, for example, original copies of Blue Note pressings despite almost exact vinyl replicas being available for a fraction of the price. But until those re-pressings happen, these market forces do funny things to people!

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

i believe this to be true. however, in my own experience, i have not been able to maintain my cd's. i basically have my entire record collection except for records i've sold off. i really can't thing of a record that is worn out, over playe, and unusable. most of the cd's i've owned in my life are destroyed, skipping, or just plain lost. records are more resilient.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I would bet my next paycheck that if those Steady B and Main Source CDs were put back in circulation next week those ebay prices would soon plummet.

A lot of (mostly) nerdy underground stuff I had original issues of that went upwards of 100 for (L'Roneous, Anticon under TRC distribution, Stetasonic, etc.) plummeted in price once proper reissues hit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would bet my next paycheck that if those Steady B and Main Source CDs were put back in circulation next week those ebay prices would soon plummet.

A lot of (mostly) nerdy underground stuff I had original issues of that went upwards of 100 for (L'Roneous, Anticon under TRC distribution, Stetasonic, etc.) plummeted in price once proper reissues hit.

Will this be the fate of FANIA wax once the deluxe cd re-ishs get released?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    for whatever reason that steady b only came out on cd in germany.

as for the reissue thing i think a lot of the people bidding on these records aren't as concerned with having the genuine artifact (sorry reynaldo), as they are with just having the music on a format they can listen to. believe it or not, not everyones as techonologically proficient as we are. some people don't know how to use cd burners or how to find mp3s of decade+ old, out of print rap albums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Oh! I hope so!

I have noticed that sometimes when a rare record gets
    reissued on CD, the once-rare LP will suddenly surface in local
    shops. One place in particular, that specializes in psych,
    their used vinyl inbox seems to be directly related to the
    new CD reissue inbox...I like this...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    It happened again.

really though, this is far from an uncommon occurrence.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Oh! I hope so!

Can the opposite happen, where a re-issued cd reignite/spark interest in the wax?

Like the Connecticut Hip Hop Comp. Just wondering?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oh! I hope so!

Can the opposite happen, where a re-issued cd reignite/spark interest in the wax?

Like the Connecticut Hip Hop Comp. Just wondering?

Yes.

The only problem with SOI's theory is that while it may make some old guy who has been waiting to get decent digital(easier to handle) versions of his favorite music ditch his collection at the used record store, there are the original collector guys who were looking out for it before the reissues hit, PLUS a handful of newbies more that know about the value of these records because they saw the reissues reviewed in Wax Po or Blender or wherever.

God bless you if you have a good connection, but that tap can run dry quickly if something becomes trendy (a la Fania collecting).Doesn't take many more dudes/gals scanning for stuff to make a tough pull even tougher.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Yeah, youre right. I do get it, as i love owning 'OG' stuff myself, be it lps, 1st press books, etc. I guess i meant with cd's in particular I dont feel the same way, and its odd to see how darn important they are to some folks. Theres something about the very format itself that just doesnt feel 'real' to me (i have 500+ cd's mind you, i have nothing against them, but none of them feel collectible to me at all - even though i know some are out of print etc, and i keep my cds in perfect condition out of habit, making cd-rs of them to play and abuse, etc...)

I suspect that the only difference(and it's a minor one, cuz all vinyl collectors are certainly not collecting equally either), is that CD collectors seem to be more swayed by the legit reissues than some vinyl collectros are. I would bet my next paycheck that if those Steady B and Main Source CDs were put back in circulation next week those ebay prices would soon plummet. And this would not hold true of, for example, original copies of Blue Note pressings despite almost exact vinyl replicas being available for a fraction of the price. But until those re-pressings happen, these market forces do funny things to people!

thats what makes me suspicious of it - if a cd reissue usually kills the market for the OG cds, then just how collectable were they? ...i do agree that some of this is from people who will pay megabucks for the cds they want if they are hard to get - but WOULD have paid $15 for the brand new edition if it existed. Wheras OG blue note LPs aint going down in price, and theyve been reissued in multi formats 40 different ways.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

This all leads me to a question I have wanted to ask for sometime.. do you think the CD collector is particular about the jewel cases?? To me they seem MOSTLY identical but with slight differencse sometimes.. but does the hardcore CD collector get bent if they find that their CD does not have the original jewel case that came with the CD? Do they factor in the condition of the jewel case?!

Hard to get ones head around collecting CD's but then again 98% of the world finds it hard to believe that people still listen to records so now we probably have some idea what they feel like.

I'm sure you guys are aware of the Criterion DVD OOP phenom - I bought some raers a while back from a college kid who wanted some money to travel and turned around and sold one of them (Salo) for $350. I sold a lot of about 25 more for $600. Woulda made more piecemeal. Quite clever of Criterion to have numbered the spines so that OC people will have to collect them all.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    do you think the CD collector is particular about the jewel cases??

they are not.

are record guys picky about inner sleeves?

• do you think the CD collector is particular about the jewel cases??

they are not.

are record guys picky about inner sleeves?

Oh, hell yes they are!

I don't want my super-rare late-80s OOP CD to be repackaged
    in a flimsy light little current Taiwanese jewel case.
    I would feel ripped the fuck off.

Go pull out some of your CDs which were printed in the late 80s.
    Feel the girth.
    Do the "twist test" : hold the CD case by the sides with two hands
    and try to twist the case. Most late 80s CDs, you can't.
    They are definitely heavier.
    Feel the girth.

Cost more to mail, take longer to get there, but worth it.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Feel the girth.

Feel the girth.

worth it.

AAAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Now that eve shit is crazy.

That raer hilltop hoods is terrible.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Now that eve shit is crazy.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/4933389/a/Eve-Olution.htm

Can you say typo?

That raer hilltop hoods is terrible[/b].

Hilltop Hustlers material 'terrible' - especially the first Steady 'B' full length???