NBA FINALS 2006 - What's Really Good Batchez

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Monday, June 19, 2006
    Updated: June 20, 2:03 PM ET

Cuban says he didn't yell at Stern after Game 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $250,000 for several acts of misconduct following Game 5 of the NBA Finals, the league said Tuesday.[/b] When time ran out in Game 5, Cuban ran onto the court to vent at official Joe DeRosa, then stared down and screamed toward Stern and a group of league officials, from the court, then the stands.

In his blog on Tuesday, the Dallas Mavericks owner responded to a column in the Miami Herald that described this post-Game 5 scene: "Cuban then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!' "
    Cuban wrote that instead of yelling at Stern, he didn't say a word to the commissioner. Cuban also adamantly affirmed that he believes game outcomes are determined on the court, not in the league office.

"The games are not rigged," Cuban wrote. "That's a complete insult to the players on the court and the incredible amount of effort they put into preparing for and playing the games. All 82 regular-season and postseason games.

"The NBA couldn't rig the games if it wanted to. And it doesn't want to. It's that simple."

That sounds more like the owner Stern would like to hear. He said Tuesday that he believes Cuban's more vitriolic outbursts are "not healthy for either him or the game."

(read more)

• who is gonna win tonite? why?

These playoff games have been so unpredictable this season. It's hard to say, but 3 out of 4 times in the regular season, I'd say Dallas would win at home. But Wade(Miami) is really focused right now, and if momentum means anything in a series, Miami is closing it tonight.

Wade is with-a-doubt, the MVP by the way.

I said Dallas in 5, by the way. Hey if they go to 7, then more basketball for the fans!

Sorry. I'm dense. Do you just mean MVP of the series or are you going back to the regular season MVP?

Even if the Heat end up losing this series, a serious case could be made for D Wade as the MVP of the Finals regardless.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Yeah, I have some doubt, too.

Mavs win tonight by 5 points.

you know what i mean. if Wade were not Finals MVP, who is?

• Wade is with-a-doubt, the MVP by the way.

Right now: nobody is beating Wade for that distinction. However, if the Mavs happen to win two and take the series, surely someone will have stepped up to merit discussion. I think only one time (Jerry West) has the Finals MVP come from the losing team.

• http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620

Another amazing Bill Simmons column. I hope to hear what you guys think of his takes.

Right now: nobody is beating Wade for that distinction. However, if the Mavs happen to win two and take the series, surely someone will have stepped up to merit discussion. I think only one time (Jerry West) has the Finals MVP come from the losing team.

If Terry gets back to back 40 pt. games and a championship, then he might get MVP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620

Another amazing Bill Simmons column. I hope to hear what you guys think of his takes.

He makes a couple interesting remarks. Notably about Shaq's freethrow shooting, and about officiating.

If you've ever played basketball, then you know that s---, um, staff happens during a competitive game. It's not abnormal for two teammates to start screaming at one another. It's not abnormal for someone to foul someone else a little bit harder than he intended.

About Shaq's freethrows, it really wouldn't matter how he throws the ball. THE ROCK IS LIKE A PEBBLE IN HIS HAND.

But that's the problem: In between Jordan and Wade, we had to watch all the wannabes pretending to be as good as them. And they weren't. Not even close.

Wade is crazy good. But come on, we're talking about 7 titles here; and icon status. Also I'm sure the "pretenders that came in between" would have a lot to say about this particular claim.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

ehh. i read the first part about how Wade is supposedly making the nba worse by setting the precedent that a selfish guard can win a title. sounds like the typical white boy rant against talented players who don't play "team ball." nobody who has ever played hoops at a high leevel would say this because there are many cases where 1 guy is THAT good. chamberlain, jordan, iverson, etc.

also, is he seriously arguing that Wade is in a class by himself and that only Lebron is comparable? did he not watch kobe eat up the suns or AI over the past 8 or so seasons?

bill simmons should stick to making entire articles out of pop culture references.

Yo Keith, I think i'm gonna go into hiding, before the onslaught of nonsense starts pouring out of people's mouths...but i might join in, cuz beef makes work go by a lot quicker.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

ehh. i read the first part about how Wade is supposedly making the nba worse by setting the precedent that a selfish guard can win a title. sounds like the typical white boy rant against talented players who don't play "team ball." nobody who has ever played hoops at a high leevel would say this because there are many cases where 1 guy is THAT good. chamberlain, jordan, iverson, etc.

also, is he seriously arguing that Wade is in a class by himself and that only Lebron is comparable? did he not watch kobe eat up the suns or AI over the past 8 or so seasons?

bill simmons should stick to making entire articles out of pop culture references.

I think his beef is more with Isolation/Reilly Ball than with Wade's game. I also think that yes, he is putting Wade and LeBron up as the top two guys in the league, and I think that is at least arguable. But, being that his article is about the future of the league, his position on those two makes perfect sense, as I am not open to arguments that they are not the best YOUNG, Marketable players in the league.

As for Simmons; his baseball analysis is so bad it is funny, and his writing on football is only above-average if you gamble. BUT, he is the best basketball writer going today, and I give him a large share of credit for making me care about the NBA again.

• tdotctdotc 17 Posts
    I thought this part of the article was great:

I don't think the NBA fixes games, but they have one trick that they use for situations like this -- when they want a home team to win the game, they invariably assign the worst referees possible to that game for two reasons: Bad referees have a tendency to get swayed by the home crowd, and bad referees never have the stones to make a tough call on the road. In a related story, I went to 35 Clippers games this year and kept a list of the referees in my pocket which I also used to follow the referees for any televised games. And yes, the referees in the NBA -- as a whole -- have never been worse. But there were six referees that stuck out as being especially terrible."

Then I went on to list the worst six referees. Here was No. 2 on the list:

"2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to be restrained by their assistants at various times."

Why is this relevant? Not only did Salvatore officiate Game 4 of the Suns-Lakers series (the one where Kobe tied it at the end of regulation and won it at the end of OT on two shaky non-calls on Nash, both by Salvatore), not only did Salvatore officiate Sunday night's Game 5 (in which Miami had a 40-12 free-throw advantage at one point), but Salvatore called the foul on Wade's final drive in overtime (remember, the call where ABC couldn't find a replay to show that anyone touched him?) even though he was standing at midcourt a full 35-40 feet from the play, and even though two other refs were closer to the play. Not only was that NOT his call, he butchered it.

Considering I brought this up LAST spring, do you find any of this a little strange? Why aren't the best referees calling these games? Why do the worst ones always seem to get assigned to games in which it would be better for the league if the home team won? Why am I the only one who notices this stuff or seems to care? Why do I find myself watching these games and concentrating more on the one-sided officiating than some of Wade's spectacular plays? As my buddy House e-mailed on Monday morning: "I don't think I can take much more of NBA refs insisting on controlling the outcomes of the most significant games. The NBA is a disgrace and should be completely embarrassed. I hate this game."

And that's coming from one of the last 19 NBA diehards -- I can only imagine what the casual fans thought after watching such a one-sided travesty. Look, we all love Dwyane Wade. He's fantastic. But there's absolutely no scenario in which a 2-guard should be attempting as many free throws as everyone on the other team. It's absolutely unfathomable. And here's what really kills me: If there's a Game 7, you KNOW they'll come up with the best possible officials for that particular game. So why wouldn't every Finals game work like that? We have seven possible games spread over 17 days ... they couldn't pick the best three or four refs and have them work every game, like how MLB picks the best seven umps to comprise the World Series crew? Why wouldn't that work? Is there a single reason you can come up with? Arrrrrrrrgh.

BUT, he is the best basketball writer going today

Maybe from an entertainment value standpoint. And resulting disucssion that arises out of it. And i'm not knocking that at all cuz Bill Plaske for the Los Angeles Times can write some bitchass columns, but he's still good at what he does.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    BUT, he is the best basketball writer going today

Maybe from an entertainment value standpoint. And resulting disucssion that arises out of it.

Saying - he's got nothing on our own Basketball Scientist.

I also think that yes, he is putting Wade and LeBron up as the top two guys in the league, and I think that is at least arguable. But, being that his article is about the future of the league, his position on those two makes perfect sense, as I am not open to arguments that they are not the best YOUNG, Marketable players in the league.

kobe hasn't turned 28 yet, is he still not a YOUNG player? i guarantee we have not seen the best season out of kobe yet. look at jordan, he was in his athletic prime in the late 80s, but i think most would agree that he was at his best in the early to mid 90s.

wade is great, but he hasn't proven himself to be THE guy in the nba. if anyone has, its kobe, followed by Lebron (and AI gets points for being the ultimate basketball freak of nature).

is wade even that marketable? granted, he is good looking guy (as opposed to Lebron who has a tough mug) but Jordan had a swagger that he's missing. wade is also selling converse sneakers.

I thought this part of the article was great:

Look, we all love Dwyane Wade. He's fantastic. But there's absolutely no scenario in which a 2-guard should be attempting as many free throws as everyone on the other team. It's absolutely unfathomable.

that is retarded. he is a 2 guard but he's not reggie miller or kyle korver. wade goes to the rim all the time and the mavs can't stop him. that is why he gets to the line so much. how many times did lebron and kobe get to the line in the playoffs this year? that should be the comparison.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I also think that yes, he is putting Wade and LeBron up as the top two guys in the league, and I think that is at least arguable. But, being that his article is about the future of the league, his position on those two makes perfect sense, as I am not open to arguments that they are not the best YOUNG, Marketable players in the league.

kobe hasn't turned 28 yet, is he still not a YOUNG player? i guarantee we have not seen the best season out of kobe yet. look at jordan, he was in his athletic prime in the late 80s, but i think most would agree that he was at his best in the early to mid 90s.

wade is great, but he hasn't proven himself to be THE guy in the nba. if anyone has, its kobe, followed by Lebron (and AI gets points for being the ultimate basketball freak of nature).

is wade even that marketable? granted, he is good looking guy (as opposed to Lebron who has a tough mug) but Jordan had a swagger that he's missing. wade is also selling converse sneakers.

Look, I'm not saying that D. Wade and LeBron are the best players in the league, but I am saying that an argument can be made, which is what he is doing. You obviously disagree, and present valid points, but there are valid points to the contrary...so, short of going for a beer and staying until bars close arguing this, there isn't a resolution. That's why sports are fun.

BUT, I do agree that Wade and LeBron are the future of the league, and I would bet my raerest of raer that if you held the toes of anyone in the league office to the fire, they would admit the same things. Two young, exciting players who have brought people back to the league, and who haven't been charged with Sexual Assault, drug possession, DUI, spousal abuse...

• tdotctdotc 17 Posts
    that is retarded. he is a 2 guard but he's not reggie miller or kyle korver. wade goes to the rim all the time and the mavs can't stop him. that is why he gets to the line so much. how many times did lebron and kobe get to the line in the playoffs this year? that should be the comparison.

Dude do you even understand the point of the article I quoted?
    I think we should be asking how many free throws Wade would have gotten if Bennett Salvatore wasn't officiating? Or how about how many free throws did Lebron or Kobe (or Wade) get to the line in the playoffs this year where the officials included and did not include Bennett Salvatore?

Dude do you even understand the point of the article I quoted?
    I think we should be asking how many free throws Wade would have gotten if Bennett Salvatore wasn't officiating? Or how about how many free throws did Lebron or Kobe (or Wade) get to the line in the playoffs this year where the officials included and did not include Bennett Salvatore?

dude... go back and read what you just wrote, if you still think you have a point, i'll get back to you.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Dirk.......WHERE ARE YOU MAN??????? WTF????????????

Kicking exercise machines. stationary bicycle.. letting David Hasselhoff sooth his inner softbatch...

• tdotctdotc 17 Posts
    .. letting David Hasselhoff sooth his inner softbatch...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dirk owns the west
    stuffin', folls

GO MAVS

sorry HEAT fans

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Heat look pretty good in the last 15 minutes. If Walker could hit a three...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    when it's crunch time, you definitely want the ball in Dampier's hands.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    DAMN!

305!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

agreed, yaargh

• Congrats to Miami.

'Zo, your 5 blocks were

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    somehwere in LA a Kobe cries.....