World Cup Bastards Speak Up!!! (Brits stand up!)

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    BBC is streaming it live. go watch it. no need for radio...

Link?

I can't find the right one

This might help

http://www.ghacks.net/2006/06/06/how-to-view-the-football-worldcup-online/#more-542

Believe me, you're not missing too much right now.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Well there's certainly French bias coming from the ESPN commentators, and it's disgusting. go Portugal!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    BBC is streaming it live. go watch it. no need for radio...

Link?

I can't find the right one

use the search function. i posted the link twice in this thread. i won't post it again. i won't search for it again...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    use the search function. i posted the link twice in this thread. i won't post it again. i won't search for it again...

All that typing you just did took about 20 times more effort then cutting and pasting the link.

I give up.

...and yes I am

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    barthez was looking shaking w/ the butterfingers.

I am glad these diving pansies are outta here!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Because of what I've been reading here on SS I have made an attempt for the first time in my life to watch, and try to get into the World Cup.

I have to admit that after my first game(Trinidad-Tobago vs. Sweden 0-0)I was bored....but as I kept watching and began to understand the strategy a little more I began to dig it.

Don't think I'd watch any games outside the World Cup but the sport has at least one new, developing fan.

Thanks for these posts that motivated me to watch.

So who are you guys rooting for in the Final???

Or does it play out that if your team is eliminated you don't really care???

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

now that's harsh

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Eyh, dude is a very good player but I hate when he acts like a bitch, like he did with Rooney, and like he did during the entire match vs France.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Man I was rooting for Portugal today but those guys played like bitches, flopping every two seconds. They were fortunate not get a grip of yellow cards. I suppose its irrelevant at this point. I'll be rooting pour ma belle France on Sunday.

Rock, glad you're getting into it. Keep watching it gets better. The premiership in England is more wide open than the World Cup where teams are more afraid to lose.

Side note. Both teams are nicknamed the BLues which reminds me of the Arizona/Kentucky NCAA final a few years back Wildcats v Wildcats.

Did anybody else find the Worldcup to be pretty boring in general?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

mega cosign.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it certainly hasn't been a great world cup, but the nature of the event itself creates enough excitement as is. Most of the best goals have come from the group stages though. Teams have been conservative in the eliminations rounds. I've still enjoyed it, time well wasted.

Although I am looking forward to going outside during the day for once. Summer officially begins after Sunday for me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

mega cosign.

So true. I say get rid of the offsides rule. Let's open this bitch up. That or make ten v ten. Shit is mad boring.

it certainly hasn't been a great world cup, but the nature of the event itself creates enough excitement as is. Most of the best goals have come from the group stages though. Teams have been conservative in the eliminations rounds. I've still enjoyed it, time well wasted.

Although I am looking forward to going outside during the day for once. Summer officially begins after Sunday for me.

WORD. Okay good, I guess I wasn't the only one (a non-soccer head) that thought these games were boring as a whole. I agree, the group matches were far more exciting.

1-0 games and 0-0 ties are wack as hell.

Why can't they have the Worldcup every 2 years instead of 4? Less pressure for the players and more time for stars to emerge, which equates to more engaging play.

That said, i'm gonna tape the Sunday Final. Who's winning it all?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I haven't clue who will win this one. Italy seems to have the better players and depth. France seems like a team of destiny right now.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

All that typing you just did took about 20 times more effort then cutting and pasting the link.

I give up.

...and yes I am

all thyt typing you just did took about 20 times more effort then searching the link yourself. haha.

ps: just kidding... (--> soulstrut = sensitive)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Zidane should have winked at Ronaldo after that "Penalty".

But thank you Frog Leg Munchers for eliminating the Portugese. It was

after their cynicism v. England.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    France gotta play better than that though, or italy will crush 'em.
    Portugal were so ordinary...i don't want phil scolarea ( or how ever you spell it ) to manage england after that performance.

France gotta play better than that though, or italy will crush 'em.
    Portugal were so ordinary...i don't want phil scolarea ( or how ever you spell it ) to manage england after that performance.

Yeah I was very underhwelmed by France's performance last night but I'm putting it down more to Portugal's play. This after all is a team who've played most of their matches in this tournament without an out and out striker on the pitch so you're never going to get a goal fest.

The diving was disgusting by Portugal. Considering that there was a big hooha about cutting down on gamesmanship in this tournament I don't see how FIFA can realistically overlook this performance which was topped off by Scolari abusing the referee after the final whistle.

I'm kinda of leaning towards Italy to win the game on Sunday though my heart still says France.

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts

I'm kinda of leaning towards Italy to win the game on Sunday though my heart still says France.

yeah i think zidane, henry ect will turn it on, i think if it isn't too negative and the ref is sensible we could have a classic match !

• SureshotSureshot 134 Posts
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think France will win the Cup... While Italy is certainly capable, it's shaping up to be one of those "MJ hits the final shot and retires" moments for Zizou...

(Sure, MJ came back, but I digress)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

WORD. Okay good, I guess I wasn't the only one (a non-soccer head) that thought these games were boring as a whole. I agree, the group matches were far more exciting.

1-0 games and 0-0 ties are wack as hell.
    score got nothing to do with it. It's lack of truly great players, even though there are plenty who were billed as such beforehand and get paid like it. No team has more than 2 great players, the rest are mainly decent squad players. Germany had no great players, England had one with a bad toe, Italy's was supersub Del Piero who came into prominence 3 cups ago.

Why can't they have the Worldcup every 2 years instead of 4? Less pressure for the players and more time for stars to emerge, which equates to more engaging play.

Because there is this tougher competition in 2 years called Euro2008

That said, i'm gonna tape the Sunday Final. Who's winning it all?

I hope France win to stick it to the French and Italian nazis who might be pissed if someone born in Africa lifts the trophy.

Why the fuck did ABC only show England games? Is it their suburban AYSO mentality to get kids into the sport? Why not show a good team?!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

R*ch -

Even though hoops still remains first and foremost my most avid sports fix, soccer holds second place - France looks to be the sentimental favorite heading into the final w/ Zinedine 'Zizou' Zidane (the son of Algerian immigrants to France and Marseille's beloved son) retiring after the game (after a storied career and a heightened profile enjoyed primarily @ Juventus in Italy and Real Madrid in Spain) - Italy may be the stronger side and in the context of Italy's usually firm defence (although France's back 4 have been no slouches either as the tournament has progressed), the game should be an engaging one...

Zidane in a reflective mode -

As for cleaning up the game, I'd be in favor of issuing automatic 10 game suspensions (w/ no pay) for obvious diving and cloying injury tactics (confirmed through the use of video replay), but b/c leagues of that sport are so indentured towards the cult of personality of players (as it is in most other sports), it'll never happen...

• ameldabeeameldabee 66 Posts

mega cosign.

Nah, baseball is booooring.... Plus if your team was in final, you wouldn't be that bored....

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Nah, baseball is booooring.... Plus even if your team is not in the final, you wouldn't be that bored....

mega cosign.

i hope france wins,
    both teams are great & play should be better
    with less diving than the last few rounds
    (watch for that nonsense in saturday's cousin kissing match)
    coverage in the states sux,
    euro-strutters pleez to xplain why no david TREZEGUET
    action so far ?!?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Because of what I've been reading here on SS I have made an attempt for the first time in my life to watch, and try to get into the World Cup.

I have to admit that after my first game(Trinidad-Tobago vs. Sweden 0-0)I was bored....but as I kept watching and began to understand the strategy a little more I began to dig it.

Don't think I'd watch any games outside the World Cup but the sport has at least one new, developing fan.

Thanks for these posts that motivated me to watch.

Hey Rich,

Glad to see another coming on board! Here's the deal (Well, for me anyways). There are some boring matches. But when a game is on there's nothing like it. Maybe the world cup will be the only time you check out a football match, but there are other things you should look out for in the future.

Now, there are other great leagues around. But, I myself pretty much only watch the Premiership. Thats the top brit league. But don't get me wrong, watching some other country leagues can be amazing.

One of the things I love about the premiership is... The bottom three teams in the league always get dropped down to a lower brit league. And teams from the lower league move up to where the money is. I love this system.

Anyways

Other things to look forward to...

The FA Cup - It was a thing of beauty to watch my team defeat West Ham
    UEFA Champions League - Great tournament
    Euro Cup - This is like a mini world cup. Just with teams from Europe. Can get just as exciting (Next one is 2008)

Really there's so much more. Hope you give it a go and check out some more.

Oh, and you do kinda lose some passion once your team gets knocked out. But most still watch and pick who they think is going to win.

I'm gonna cheer for Italy. Not that I like them any tho. Just cause I live in lil Italy and like it when they party it up!

Hope it helps any...

Nah, baseball is booooring.... Plus even if your team is not in the final, you wouldn't be that bored....

mega cosign.

i hope france wins,
    both teams are great & play should be better
    with less diving than the last few rounds
    (watch for that nonsense in saturday's cousin kissing match)
    coverage in the states sux,
    euro-strutters pleez to xplain why no david TREZEGUET
    action so far ?!?

Yeah I seem to remember him playing against Togo but apart from that really not sure what's happened to him as he appears to have dropped down the pecking order not only behind Wiltord and Saha (who truly played like a dick when he came on yesterday) but behind Govou as well who's come on as a sub in almost every game.

I can only think that maybe the whole Juve situation is affecting him?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Yeah I seem to remember him playing against Togo

one of the 2 or 3 games i've missed

and Saha (who truly played like a dick when he came on yesterday)

& with his 2 yellows, won't be playing on sunday

I can only think that maybe the whole Juve situation is affecting him?

if it affects him like it has Del Peiro, best to get him in the game !

that way each side will have an argentine playing

(paging JorgeLopezRuiz)

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    why no david TREZEGUET action so far ?!?

i think that trezeguet is useful when his team dominate (have the ball) and need a real finisher in the penalty area (against togo for example)
    but domenech's team dont want the ball and prefer play the fast break
    trezeguet doesnt really have the qualities to play like that ...