Has anybody ever done any digging in Iceland?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Well, have you???

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Fuck digging man. Have you seen the women?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Fuck digging man. Have you seen the women?

Phill, Are you going to Iceland? If so, Plaese to explain.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    There's a traditional Icelandic folk record with an 8 year old Bjork singing on it. I believe that's some cake right there. Besides that...????

I imagine Raejkyavik(sp) is one of the most expensive cities on the planet.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    these was a dude from iceland posting on there for a minute...where did that guy go?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I have dug in iceland, only for a little bit though, didnt find a damn thing, bad danish/icelandic sandal and beard rock is all I dug up...it is all about the women and nature...go chill at the beach at Vik, and then roll into the city at night and drink and gaze at all the jaw-droppingly beautiful women... why tha fuck did I go there with my girlfriend????!!?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    why is Greenland ice and Iceland green?

why look for records when you can chill here:
    I snapped this at dawn...about noon(I was there in the winter)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    why look for records when you can chill here:
    I snapped this at dawn...about noon(I was there in the winter)

the ocean has a severe case of morning wood.
    (sorry--i had to)

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts

Somewhere I heard the Vikings came up with the names to each of those places to confuse their enemies and dissuade them from coming to Iceland. Who can come correct with a Nordic history lesson to confirm?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Somewhere I heard the Vikings came up with the names to each of those places to confuse their enemies and dissuade them from coming to Iceland.

The Vikings spoke English?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

ICELAND! Hvad segirdu gott madur? I'm going to Iceland in August for the Airwaves festival and I'm eggzited and errything. I haven't heard much about the digging scene, but I do know it's spensive. I have a good friend who is a celebrity there and she'll definitely know the spots...she supplied Bjork with her nose candy on her last biset. Maybe I can get that 8 year old Bjork fantasia.

Somewhere I heard the Vikings came up with the names to each of those places to confuse their enemies and dissuade them from coming to Iceland.

Yeah I'm not 100% sure that's right, but I think if you translated whatever language they were speaking, that's how those names would come out. At least that's my (crackpot?) theory...

someone break out that encyclopedia brittanica.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    she supplied Bjork with her nose candy on her last biset.

???????????????????????????????????
    this makes me kinda sad

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

Yeah I'm not 100% sure that's right, but I think if you translated whatever language they were speaking, that's how those names would come out. At least that's my (crackpot?) theory...

In case any of you care, thats close to being right, but it was some dude in the 1700s that named them. he named Iceland Iceland cause he wanted it for his own. I dont remember his name. Someone else find it. Lets keep this thread going.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Yes they spoke English at first but then 1/4 thru they started speaking English. Well at least that's how it was in the movie:

In case any of you care, thats close to being right, but it was some dude in the 1700s that named them. he named Iceland Iceland cause he wanted it for his own. I dont remember his name. Someone else find it. Lets keep this thread going.

All kinds of convoluted details and shit you probably don't care about but there's kind of an answer in there somehere:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/micegreenland.html

According to the Dopeman, I am wrong....

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    these was a dude from iceland posting on there for a minute...where did that guy go?

I remember some Strutter from Iceland mentionned that he dug up a mono version of a Jimi Hendrix record that went for big figures.

+

Iceland gave us....

"Hammer of the Gods..."

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

You guys are on the right track. However, Greenland (Gr??nnland) was named so because the first things the vikings, under the leadership of Eirik Raude (the Red), saw when they got there was green, grassy fields. It's about the only part of the country that was green, but they didn't know, and they were keen to set out and find more bountiful lands (and ended up in America as most of you know).

Iceland (Island) was named that to discourage people from coming there, as Icelanders are... seclusive dudes. I'd be that to if I had all those women I wanted to keep to myself. The Irish monks who were there before the vikings came and slaughtered the whole bunch called it something else, but it eludes me.

- J

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Oh yeah, I her Icelandic psych is some nasty business. Look around, but don't expect much.

- J

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Yo, resident Icelander here.

Don't know if I can be of much help because I'm in Japan but if you need reccommendations on shops or records or whatnot, holler via PM.

DesOne from the board is also dude of Iceland.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    yeah, my friend's brother was one of the kids in Quarashi...now he makes some good downtempo related bitness.

she supplied Bjork with her nose candy on her last biset.

???????????????????????????????????
    this makes me kinda sad

why? she is a millionaire rockstar...its inevitable, if you are a rockstar you party...cliche I know, but its true.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, my friend's brother was one of the kids in Quarashi...now he makes some good downtempo related bitness.

Richard?

Anywho... In Iceland.

First off, expect to wade through incredible amounts of crappy MALLORCA DISCO!!! and the like.

Digging here can be weird. Not so many people = not so many records.

There is some jazz and some rock/psych to be found. Most "gems" are often found in new wave/punk/avant garde stuff since the punk movement here was very active (still is, tho it's music of choice now is hardcore). Modern soul/boogie yes/maybe.

Funny thing is that you'll probably only find stuff from time to time and then a big collection hits and everybody tries to scour it. These are the times when the free jazz/phillipanese psych/ & bla bla turn up.

Another thing is people here can be clingy. And that means people really don't like to let go of their records. And when they do they try to get the uppest most coin for it.

There are three "big" Icelandic records. Svanfridur - s/t, N??tt??ra - Magic Key and Icecross - s/t. The first two are psych/hippie/prog. The third on is a reasonably heavy psych rock LP.

Small list of stuff worth checking out:

Svanfr????ur, N??tt??ra, Icecross, Tr??brot, Hlj??mar, Purrkur Pilnikk, Sykurmolarnir, Tappi T??karrass, Taugadeildin, Q4U, Kukl, Bj??rk, Stilluppsteypa, Curver. (forgetting alot of stuff).

Those are a few points. If you're curious just PM or reply here.

Women be truth. We drink much. Don't eat the sheep's head. Seriously.

Peace.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    That Quarashi album that made it to the states was pretty cool. I still play it from time to time. The production is what keeps it in my collection. I like how they flipped that loop on their single better than Dilated did.

Iceland's answer to the Beasties... LOL