Christina Aguilera and Primo

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
COT-DAYUM! This is fucking dope. Why don't more pop records sound like this?

Comments

• ericeric 155 Posts
    Is it supposed to be a primo production? doesn't sound like it.
    Nothing special to me.

• this is remarkably horrible.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, it's a Primo production. I've heard another of the tracks he's done for her, and it sounds a little bit like Devin's "Doobie Ashtray". This one sounds like some retooled Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings shit to me. I think it's great. To each their own, though.

• Decent club track. It sounds quite good on studio monitors.

I think Primo's spacious beat gives her tons of room to let her vocals shine . This is probably the first track where I actually like Aguilera's singing.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This is really good, thanks for posting it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is Primo a strictly R&B dude these days?

I never hear about him working with rappers anymore.

R&B dude is probably a good look for him.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I am in no way a fan of Ms. Aguilera, but I'm with Doc on this one. Normally I can't stand her voice, but this beat makes her tolerable. Not revolutionary but still goodness. Rather this than revamping "Car Wash" or that bubblegum shit. Bring it, Christina???

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    this is remarkably horrible.

out of touch with the pop streetz

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    The track is nice and I'll cosign with that she's a lot more "listenable" than on previous records. I do think though that the sound on this is a little too plain, there's nothing in between the beat and her vocals if that makes sense to people. It will sound good in clubs though.

Well, he doesn't seem to be getting the kind of high-end gigs with rappers that he once did, though that could just as easily be a matter of choice as much as anything else. Someone here must know...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's a grower. Like it more each time I hear it which is lucky as I reckon this will be played to death by the end of the Summer.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it's her voice (and the images it conjures) that make this hard to take. had it been another singer, i think i could get onboard.

it's her voice (and the images it conjures) that make this hard to take. had it been another singer, i think i could get onboard.

While I don't generally get that excited about her choice of material, I don't have the slightest problem with her voice. I think she's got serious chops.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

New Royce track, Premier produced: http://www.spinemagazine.com/music/may/royce59/dingding.mp3

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Thirteen-in-a-dozen microwave popcorn, this will be big on the radio that's for sure, a job well done. Why she hired Preemo on a technical level is beyond me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    You are all weird, she has an affecting and powerful voice that she can only harness on occasion.

This is dece but its no "Genie in a Bottle"

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Am I the only one that finds those drums to be a bit stiff?

I'm surprised Premo couldn't get a little more swing in that track.
    It'll be banging in the clubs in no time though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    To each their own

i don't think she has a bad voice, i am not a fan of it. she's too much of a shouter for me and lacks soul imo. her voice is her's and i don't like her so i don't like her voice. hah!

huh?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The problem with Xtina is that she has a technically talented voice but she insists on using way too much fucking melisma (i.e. those vocal runs which have totally plagued "American Idol" contestants). Of course, she's just following in the lines of earlier singers like Whitney Houston who was the first "modern" R&B singer to really use melisma as a highlight of her vocal abilities...then Mariah Carey took that shit to the next level and Xtina has been the latest incarnation.

Sure, Aretha and Etta used melisma as well but they didn't sound like they were trying to do fucking be-bop with their vocals. If you have a great voice - with tone and clarity - you don't need all that ornamentation.

This song is ok but it's Primo? Like whoa.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    melisma

aka vocal diarrhoea

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    This is pretty shocking. Its cool. Glad to see Primo gettin his yaper and shine. It sounds funny to hear his infamous black cop snare on this type of beat more than anything.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The problem with Xtina is that she has a technically talented voice but she insists on using way too much fucking melisma

And i always thought it was called "that annoying fucking thing she does with her voice".

at least she has a voice, like you noted, (American) idols contestants literally live for the opportunity to bless us with a dose of melisma.

the track is no doubt destined to inspire millions of B&T Melissa-Melisma types the world over.
    i would like to hear it with another vocalist.

Christina irregular looks funny.

• sounds Rich Harrison influnced....in a good way (im sure RH was primo influnced)

reason #231142 why i love serato, thanks for the track

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    melisma

I learned a new word today, one which I unknowingly have been looking for in years. Thank you, Odub. I'll be replacing the layman's term
    vocal diarrhoea
    with this in future discussions on this particular breed of female songsters.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    sounds Rich Harrison influnced....in a good way (im sure RH was primo influnced)

reason #231142 why i love serato, thanks for the track

Funny - when i listened to it a second time, I was thinking, "this is very Rich Harrison" but as noted, that'd kind of bring it full circle. Except that, if Rich Harrison had produced this, it'd probably actually be hot.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The problem with Xtina is that she has a technically talented voice but she insists on using way too much fucking melisma (i.e. those vocal runs which have totally plagued "American Idol" contestants). Of course, she's just following in the lines of earlier singers like Whitney Houston who was the first "modern" R&B singer to really use melisma as a highlight of her vocal abilities...then Mariah Carey took that shit to the next level and Xtina has been the latest incarnation.

Sure, Aretha and Etta used melisma as well but they didn't sound like they were trying to do fucking be-bop with their vocals. If you have a great voice - with tone and clarity - you don't need all that ornamentation.

This whole "mo' melisma = mo' soul" shit has got to be stopped. A great voice should be able to stand on its own without all the cat-strangling histrionics.

At any rate, I like the production and arrangement of this song, but to me, the vocals--while not nearly as bad as Chrissy Aggie's past offerings--lean a bit more to the "detriment" side than to the "positive addition" side.

Funny - when i listened to it a second time, I was thinking, "this is very Rich Harrison" but as noted, that'd kind of bring it full circle. Except that, if Rich Harrison had produced this, it'd probably sample a Meters loop that sounded like someone throwing half a ton of scaffolding down an elevator shaft.[/b]

Just kidding - I love me some Rich Harrison. That Toni Braxton joint he did for her last album has been the most bootlegged r&b joint of the year in London.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Genie in a bottle" is still the jam though, listen to it again.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Jessica Alba Plans a Fantastic Summer

Q: What's going to be the hot sound of summer?

A:I want to see Christina Aguilera's concert so bad. She's performing at the awards. Her new album is absolute fire. I went to her house and got a sneak peak. It's hot and modern and has dance tracks, but then she also has a throwback to Billie Holiday.[/b]

Q: You always look awesome. How do you keep those Alba abs?

A: I have a trainer I work out with four days a week to get my body stronger for Fantastic Four 2. And I try to not to eat too much dessert. I like whipped cream a lot. I'll put whipped cream on anything.