Dame lost!

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Damon Dash Music Group Partners with Koch Entertainment[/b]http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=1968After months of public speculation about the future of Damon Dash???s ventures in the recording industry, the former Roc-A-Fella co-CEO has inked an agreement establishing his own Damon Dash Music Group and Koch Records as label partners. Dash created the label along with longtime partner Kareem ???Biggs??? Burke after a public falling out with Jay-Z left the Brooklyn MC in control of Roc-A-Fella Records, the highly successful label the three partners built from the ground up. According to Koch, the first project to be released through the new partnership will be Dancehall artist Sizzla???s latest, titled The Overstanding. Other artists on the DDMG roster include Southside Queens rapper Grafh and R&B crooner Rell. Koch Records reportedly is the largest and fastest growing independent record label in the U.S.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Sizzla, Grafh and R&B crooner Rell.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Koch Records reportedly is the largest and fastest growing independent record label in the U.S.

Parent company - Records on Wheels; yes, that Records on Wheels for Southern Ontario residents - now rebranded as Entertainment One Income Fund...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    poor dame.

KOch is doing their thing though. you cant really front on them.

Still, how pissed would you be if you signed to rocafella and suddenly found yourself on a koch subsidary. SHit, i bet even Graph could get a little distro deal over ther on his own.

What the hell is jay-z's problem anyway? Hova is nothing without dame pouring champagne on girls beside him in the video.

I guess when his new album drops we will finally see if he can do it without their guidance. If his verse on the hustlin remix is any indication, it doesnt look too good.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Still, how pissed would you be if you signed to rocafella and suddenly found yourself on a koch subsidary. SHit, i bet even Graph could get a little distro deal over ther on his own.

Basically--bad enough that you wake up and find yourself on Koch; even worse that you have to give up a portion of your Koch money to Dame when you could be keeping it for yourself.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    case in point: the onyx "comeback" was financed by Koch and Haystack got a deal outta them and was later dropped!!!!

case in point: the onyx "comeback" was financed by Koch and Haystack got a deal outta them and was later dropped!!!!

I believe there's a provision in the standard Koch contract that you have to use the phrase "eight dollars per album!!!" at least fifty times per recording and that you have to record at least one song solely devoted to the theme of "eight dollars per album!!!"... I can't wait to see Dame braying about that.

Sosmalltimerightnow

it's a case of jumping the shark....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I believe there's a provision in the standard Koch contract that you have to use the phrase "eight dollars per album!!!" at least fifty times per recording and that you have to record at least one song solely devoted to the theme of "eight dollars per album!!!"... I can't wait to see Dame braying about that.

Sosmalltimerightnow

I thought it was really like five dollars per album or something like that? They can't possibly be getting eight dollars per unit.

Sosmalltimerightnow

I thought it was really like five dollars per album or something like that? They can't possibly be getting eight dollars per unit.

Of course they can't--it's just that dudes feel the need to compensate for the fact that they're on a graveyard label by claiming at any and every opportunity that they're getting "eight dollars per album!!!"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Sosmalltimerightnow

Of course they can't--it's just that dudes feel the need to compensate for the fact that they're on a graveyard label by claiming at any and every opportunity that they're getting "eight dollars per album!!!"

I see. Rappers are exaggerating and stretching the truth, that's crazy. They should rock Escada if they want to look successful.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Sosmalltimerightnow

Yup pretty much. Nobody is gettin that kind of money. Most likely they won't pay you unless they're scared of you. A friend of mine sold over 100K on Koch last year and hasn't seen naan royalty check. They are however the best alternative for artists who can't get a major deal but don't want to go Indie. Koch is kinda taking the place of the mid major labels of the mid 90's. Unfortunately they are not finding the talent that Relativity and Loud were.

Unfortunately they are not finding the talent that Relativity and Loud were.

EXACTLY!!!!!

but that might be because there isn't the talent out there now.

Unfortunately they are not finding the talent that Relativity and Loud were.

EXACTLY!!!!!

but that might be because there isn't the talent out there now.

Well, Koch just seems to have a completely different model than those earlier labels for recruting and developing talent, though.

Basically, they sign rappers who are on the downside of their career or rappers that are the hangers-on of more successful artists. Dudes with proven ability to sell 50K to 100K, but who just as certainly are not going to go far beyond that number.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i liked inspectah decks album on kock, i mean koch

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    B.G. sold ridiculous numbers on Koch, went top ten.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I don't know how you could see this as a loss. Dame is simply expanding his listener base, trying to break out of that no-money mixtape game, and hit the cul-de-sac youth with all he's got. Being a former rap buyer at a suburban tower records I can assure you Koch pushes their shit hard. Rent a car, you'll see.

"Koch money" has been added to my vocabulary. Thanks.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    somebody needs to make a "koch money", or "eight dollars" graemlin.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I don't know how you could see this as a loss.

It's a loss in relation to Jay-Z's winnings(label,roc-a-wear,etc)remember Dame owns none of these now.

B.G. sold ridiculous numbers on Koch, went top ten.

Well, not quite.

I think Heart of the Streets v. 2 has sold a little over 150K so far.

Those are "ridiculous" numbers for Koch, but not ridiculous numbers in an absolute sense--I know B.G. ultimately regretted signing a four album deal with them because he felt that it stifled his sales.

It's a loss in relation to Jay-Z's winnings(label,roc-a-wear,etc)remember Dame owns none of these now.

I think perhaps z_illa was joking?

No way could he be for real.

Dame is dead in the game right about now--nobody with real money is giving him any more of it.

Such a bad look for one of the founders of Roc-a-fella/Roc-a-wear. He should've either just chilled until something better came along or else deaded the music thing entirely and focused on clothes or some schitt.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Dame is dead in the game right about now--nobody with real money is giving him any more of it.

Such a bad look for one of the founders of Roc-a-fella/Roc-a-wear. He should've either just chilled until something better came along or else deaded the music thing entirely and focused on clothes or some schitt.

You should send an application his way. I'm sure he could use another lawyer.

All this valuable advice you have for him could be used to advance your status as a hip-hop tastemaker.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

LIKE ULTIMATE HUSTLER SEASON 2!

I loved that show. Wasn't that dude making his weekly appearances via "holograms and shit"? Maybe he should get in the "hologram" buisness or something...TRON 3 "IN THE HOOD" featuring a gang of Roc-a-fella benchwarmers like Cristion and Oshino and Sparks.

and yo! not to hi-jack this thread but the second season of RUN'S HOUSE STARTS THIS WEEK!?!?!??!?!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

He's still got Tiret and Armadale. Hatteurs betta reckonize.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    and yo! not to hi-jack this thread but the second season of RUN'S HOUSE STARTS THIS WEEK!?!?!??!?!

??

??

word drew dollars:

It's part of MTV's new "thursday line-up" or something. My favourite dude is Jo-Jo. He's a brat but still damn likeable...kind of like Faux_Rillz. I was also feeling that episode where Mrs. Reverend Run is trying to lose weight and in the middle of her work-out runs into the house and eats some ice cream (wtf?!?!).

and the daughter who won that modeling contract is damn fucking fine.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

??

word drew dollars:

It's part of MTV's new "thursday line-up" or something. My favourite dude is Jo-Jo. He's a brat but still damn likeable...kind of like Faux_Rillz. I was also feeling that episode where Mrs. Reverend Run is trying to lose weight and in the middle of her work-out runs into the house and eats some ice cream (wtf?!?!).

and the daughter who won that modeling contract is damn fucking fine.

The whole crew is hilarous to me.

[Reynaldo]It's also a interesting study in what this modern day rich celebrity Black family does (or doesn't do) with money and power.[/Reynaldo]

A winner, all the way through.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

doesn't he also own these gems?

doesn't he also own these gems?

Does Ronald McDonald get royalties or did he just get an advance?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    With B.G.'s face maybe.

With B.G.'s face maybe.

Nah, Sheek's face--that should've been the title of dude's album.