Raekwon signs to Aftermath?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
so I hear it's true...If it is..what do yall think about this move?

Comments

• taken from the official Wu site...

"The Wu-Tang Corp.- 2006-05-28

According to Raekwons people we can officially confirm that Chef Raekwon has inked a deal with Dr. Dres Aftermath Entertainment. While details are still sketchy, we can confirm that the papers were signed last week.

It was already known that Dr. Dre and Raekwon had worked together on the highly anticipated "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" project, an initiative of Busta Rhymes who is also an Executive Producer of the record with RZA.

"Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II" will be a co-production between Aftermath and Wu-Tang. Whether this is the Wu Music Group or Wu-Tang Productions is not known yet.

RZA has yet to confirm the rest of the details.

This is truly history in the making..."

• http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=80B34D2B75F9AA44

a recently leaked track supposedly produced by Dre for the new Cuban Linx

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=80B34D2B75F9AA44

this is a great sounding tune, some sunday afternoon sheit

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this will be huge. and that rae track posted up is retarded

• taken from the official Wu site...

"The Wu-Tang Corp.- 2006-05-28

According to Raekwons people we can officially confirm that Chef Raekwon has inked a deal with Dr. Dreas[/b] ' Aftermath Entertainment. While details are still sketchy, we can confirm that the papers were signed last week.

It was already known that Dr. Dre and Raekwon had worked together on the highly anticipated "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" project, an initiative of Busta Rhymes who is also an Executive Producer of the record with RZA.

"Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II" will be a co-production between Aftermath and Wu-Tang. Whether this is the Wu Music Group or Wu-Tang Productions is not known yet.

RZA has yet to confirm the rest of the details.

This is truly history in the making..."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

if the rest of the album is anywhere decent like this track, it should be dope. i'm looking forward to it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

if the rest of the album is anywhere decent like this track, it should be dope. i'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, my first reaction to Dre+Rae was "meeh", but this actually sounds promising.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Yeah, my first reaction to Dre+Rae was "meeh"

Really? Mines was more like "Redare" or something...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Yeah, my first reaction to Dre+Rae was "meeh"

Really? Mines was more like "Redare" or something...

"redare"? its swedish for shipowner but what does in mean in english? anyways, "meeh" was my reaction aswell. that rakim track with dre must be one of the worst tracks ive heard, so i expected this to be just as horrible.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Alls I'm saying is I really hope [/b] this album is dope.

I am sick of just plain settling for albums these days. Sure there's a lot of dope stuff out, but it has been a MINUTE since something as dope as Linx has dropeed.

On the other hand, why does it need to be even near as dope? After all if Linx II brings me even 10% of the joy that Linx I has brought me over the years, man....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This was never coming out anyway, but now (if true) it's really never coming out.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    This was never coming out anyway, but now (if true) it's really never coming out.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    maybe, but at the same time if Dre is on production it will most likely go platinum.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i thought rza had pretty much handled all the production.
    throw a few dre joints in the mix, wow.

• This was never coming out anyway, but now (if true) it's really never coming out.

exactly what I thought. Shades of Rakim

pity too I'd love to hear dre make a full collab with someone from the Wu

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    maybe, but at the same time if Dre is on production it will most likely go platinum.

in all honesty, do you think teenagers today even know Raekwon though? much less care about his rapping?

• maybe, but at the same time if Dre is on production it will most likely go platinum.

in all honesty, do you think teenagers today even know Raekwon though? much less care about his rapping?

this makes me feel old.

But I think the Wu-tang clan still have the respect of the youth, after all their name has been kept alive through various solo releases and TV appearences (Dave Chappelle, etc.). [faux_rillz] what was the soundscan on Ghostface like?[/faux_rillz]

yes, maybe not white teenagers.

yes, maybe not white teenagers.

Yahmean? You need that non-white teenage perspective? Holler at TheMack!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

If he couldn't make platinum when the Wu were at the height of their powers (and with an album that's considered by many to be one of the GOAT no less) I don't see how its possible now, even with Dre on board.

I don't think he has the kind of across-the-board appeal neccessary to go plat, even if this album is nice (which would be a huge shocker considering all his post-Cuban Linx output)

If he couldn't make platinum when the Wu were at the height of their powers (and with an album that's considered by many to be one of the GOAT no less) I don't see how its possible now, even with Dre on board.

I don't think he has the kind of across-the-board appeal neccessary to go plat, even if this album is nice (which would be a huge shocker considering all his post-Cuban Linx output)

Yeah, this whole thread is really some only on SoulStrut/Okayplayer schitt.

I'd love for Rae to come with a credible follow-up to Cuban Linx, and for teenagers to embrace it and for the record to go platinum. Really, I would, but it's just not gonna happen.

Assuming this is true, what's going to happen is this: Rae will sit on Aftermath for eighteen months, eventually get tired of waiting, part ways with the label, start badmouthing Dre in interviews and release some terd of a record that might better be titled Immobilarity II. And in case dudes forgot: Buletproof Wallets was supposed to be the second installment of Cuban Linx, and that didn't work out so well.

Rae seems to be trying hard to distance himself from Ghost--who's reportedly not involved with the project--and that's the dumbest thing he can do. To the extent that anybody will check for dude still, it will be as a function of his association with Ghost. Ghost had the character, charisma and eccentricty to transcend the Wu and Rae really doesn't. Honestly, I wish he would leave the Cuban Linx legacy alone--do you, but do it with a different name.

And as far as kids checking for the Wu, let's take a moment to be serious. Today's 16 year old was 5 when Cuban Linx was released--Rae is a dude your uncle listened to, not a dude that you check for as a teenager in 2006. Ghost has the same problem--just doesn't really appeal to kids.

You may now all return to your regularly scheduled mindgarden session.

i think rae could definitely do numbers. his flow is just so hot right now, i think the youngins will flock to him

i think rae could definitely do numbers. his flow is just so hot right now, i think the youngins will flock to him

TheMack, may I point out that as the sort of teenager who posts on SoulStrut, your perspective may not exactly be representative of that of most eighteen year olds?

Rae is making zero noise in the mixtape game right now and these days that's a pretty reliable indicator of sales potential. He definitely needs to hit the mixtapes a lot harder if he wants people to check for this record.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the kids love crack raps!!!

how can he fail???

how can he fail???

While it is enough for me personally simply to hear the word "crack" repeated over and over, I gather the kids are more demanding in their expectations.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

how can he fail???

While it is enough for me personally simply to hear the word "crack" repeated over and over, I gather the kids are more demanding in their expectations.

hmm, you may be correct.

the kids seem to prefer those who mention 'the trap' & 'the mall'.

if rae updates his lingo, maybe he has a shot.

---

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    echoing what faux was saying, what made cuban I classic was ghost was on it. rae and ghost contrast so nice against eachother, its like rae is the straight man, and ghost is pouring his heart out. plus i can't remember where i read a pretty good article on the "making of" cuban linx, and the way rza, ghost and rae were quoted,and the stories behind the tunes, it was like recording that album was life for them at the time. as long as the production is nice though i dont care if it catches on, but "part 2s" never a good thing, you can't mimic the spirit you had when you were first hungry as phuck about somethign....at the moment i can't think of many part 2 albums, but there are a shit load of part 2 singles that just wrecked the memories of the first.

"new york new york..."

that said, that blue eagles song is phuckn sick, i've been listening to it over and over

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    While it is enough for me personally simply to hear the word "crack" repeated over and over

Faux Rillz repping hard for Joey Cartagena?? Not even Pee-Wee Kirkland could have imagined this!

"See you at the pier my n*gga. Owwwwwwooo!"

but "part 2s" never a good thing, you can't mimic the spirit you had when you were first hungry as phuck about somethign....at the moment i can't think of many part 2 albums....