Raekwon signs to Aftermath?

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

if rae updates his lingo, maybe he has a shot.

---

not to include raps about the mall i hope...unless he's there to buy a lady a gift and then get the hell out.

i'm relying on rae for some adult life rap (like i did with ghost). leave child's play for the youth to talk about.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    leave child's play for the youth to talk about.

"if you see me in the cafeteria - it's goin' dowwwwwwn"

"if you see me during recess - it's goin' dowwwwwwn"

---

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    maybe, but at the same time if Dre is on production it will most likely go platinum.

in all honesty, do you think teenagers today even know Raekwon though? much less care about his rapping?

No I don't think they are completely familiar with Raekwon, but he is not completely out of the limelight as was pointed out. My point was more that if Dre handles the production on all or some of the album it has a good chance of going platinum (especially if he is doing the singles). Dre knows the crossover audience as good as, if not better than most of the top producers out there. He's got the midas touch so to speak.

And as far as the Wu still having appeal, in LA they carry a ton of weight, all you had to do was be at the Wu-Tang headlined Rock The Bells show out here where cats actually over-ran the gates to get in to see a sold out show.

Granted Ghostface didn't do any astonishing numbers, and Rae's last albums were gutter balls so in reality I am not expecting platinum, he just increased his odds of doing that.

More than anything else I just find it interesting that he is joining the Aftermath roster.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    maybe, but at the same time if Dre is on production it will most likely go platinum.

If he couldn't make platinum when the Wu were at the height of their powers (and with an album that's considered by many to be one of the GOAT no less) I don't see how its possible now, even with Dre on board.

I don't think he has the kind of across-the-board appeal neccessary to go plat, even if this album is nice (which would be a huge shocker considering all his post-Cuban Linx output)

Yeah, this whole thread is really some only on SoulStrut/Okayplayer schitt.

I'd love for Rae to come with a credible follow-up to Cuban Linx, and for teenagers to embrace it and for the record to go platinum. Really, I would, but it's just not gonna happen.

Assuming this is true, what's going to happen is this: Rae will sit on Aftermath for eighteen months, eventually get tired of waiting, part ways with the label, start badmouthing Dre in interviews and release some terd of a record that might better be titled Immobilarity II. And in case dudes forgot: Buletproof Wallets was supposed to be the second installment of Cuban Linx, and that didn't work out so well.

Rae seems to be trying hard to distance himself from Ghost--who's reportedly not involved with the project--and that's the dumbest thing he can do. To the extent that anybody will check for dude still, it will be as a function of his association with Ghost. Ghost had the character, charisma and eccentricty to transcend the Wu and Rae really doesn't. Honestly, I wish he would leave the Cuban Linx legacy alone--do you, but do it with a different name.

And as far as kids checking for the Wu, let's take a moment to be serious. Today's 16 year old was 5 when Cuban Linx was released--Rae is a dude your uncle listened to, not a dude that you check for as a teenager in 2006. Ghost has the same problem--just doesn't really appeal to kids.

You may now all return to your regularly scheduled mindgarden session.

1. I don't give a shit what kids listen to these days.

2. I don't care if the album goes platinum.

3. I hope the album - if it indeed comes out - is dope.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'd love for Rae to come with a credible follow-up to Cuban Linx, and for teenagers to embrace it and for the record to go platinum. Really, I would, but it's just not gonna happen.

Assuming this is true, what's going to happen is this: Rae will sit on Aftermath for eighteen months, eventually get tired of waiting, part ways with the label, start badmouthing Dre in interviews and release some terd of a record that might better be titled Immobilarity II. And in case dudes forgot: Buletproof Wallets was supposed to be the second installment of Cuban Linx, and that didn't work out so well.

Rae seems to be trying hard to distance himself from Ghost--who's reportedly not involved with the project--and that's the dumbest thing he can do. To the extent that anybody will check for dude still, it will be as a function of his association with Ghost. Ghost had the character, charisma and eccentricty to transcend the Wu and Rae really doesn't. Honestly, I wish he would leave the Cuban Linx legacy alone--do you, but do it with a different name.

And as far as kids checking for the Wu, let's take a moment to be serious. Today's 16 year old was 5 when Cuban Linx was released--Rae is a dude your uncle listened to, not a dude that you check for as a teenager in 2006. Ghost has the same problem--just doesn't really appeal to kids.

I never thought I'd say this, but Mo_Grillz analysis unfortunately hits the nail on the head. Rae does not really have crossover potential and there's a big chance the Rakim-in-limbo effect will be in full effect. Anyways, for starters he should just drop the whole "Pt. 2" concept. Not a good idea, especially if Ghost is not involved in it. He should just do a solid album without looking back.

The funny thing is, my little brother (who is 17 years old) has been a complete Wu-fanatic since he was 14 and Cuban Linx is one of his favorite albums. I'm 30 years old, so in reality I'm that funky uncle, but I guess something rubbed off .

I will now return to the 3 steps of blissful optimism along with rootlesscosmo.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

in all honesty, do you think teenagers today even know Raekwon though? much less care about his rapping?

No I don't think they are completely familiar with Raekwon, but he is not completely out of the limelight as was pointed out. My point was more that if Dre handles the production on all or some of the album it has a good chance of going platinum (especially if he is doing the singles). Dre knows the crossover audience as good as, if not better than most of the top producers out there. He's got the midas touch so to speak.

Yes, Dre has an amazing track record--the records he puts out consistently do well--but he's also extremely selective in what he ultimately puts out. One reason why so many artists on his roster get shelved is that he eventually realizes they just don't have platinum potential. I'm not convinced that even Dre can get Rae to platinum in 2006--assuming this whole rumor has any truth to it--and I guarantee that Dre will eventually reach the same conclusion and shelve/drop him.

If he couldn't make platinum when the Wu were at the height of their powers (and with an album that's considered by many to be one of the GOAT no less) I don't see how its possible now, even with Dre on board.

I don't think he has the kind of across-the-board appeal neccessary to go plat, even if this album is nice (which would be a huge shocker considering all his post-Cuban Linx output)

Yeah, this whole thread is really some only on SoulStrut/Okayplayer schitt.

1. I don't give a shit what kids listen to these days.

2. I don't care if the album goes platinum.

Well don't get ass-hurt; those portions of the post were obviously intended for the people up in here talking "platinum" this and "kids still care about the Wu" that--neither of which is a concept I introduced to the thread.

XXL had posted a news item about the purported signing earlier today, which has now been removed... looks like it may just have been fanboy internet whispering, after all.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Maybe XXL didn't want to draw attention away from this big news: