B.W. Souls - Marvin's Groove

ddownddown 65 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
I just found a small box full of these. It's obviously not hard to find, but I actually like the track. I'm thinking about picking up a couple extras. How much do you think I should pay for them?Thanks for any info/opinions you can offer.

Comments

• great track but not as rare as once thought.

I'd say anywhere between $10-$20

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hi Adam.

Late to bed or early to rise on Cali time?

• Hi Adam.

Late to bed or early to rise on Cali time?

neither I'm drunk and lifted as fuck trying to sober up before Buena Park.

stumbling to car 2 hours form now is most def

coffee is holding me down right now.

How you livin?

BTW 2-1 !!!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Living good, mayne.

As long as we get it in next game, we're still in good!

I'm about to start looking at the Guzzo e-catalogue and writing down some titles.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'd be shocked to see it higher than $10-15

Great track, though

If you're planning on deejaying with them, buy the whole box... its on styrene

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Thanks for the info, people.

I'm going to pick up a couple for myself. Let me know if anyone needs any.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    i reckon 10 would be a bit expensive even... has it ever been re issued? i picked up a shiny copy few weeks back. figured its new enough but never really looked into it. great record.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    i have sold over 800 copies of this record. i have sold hundreds in the past year. wilbert scott had and has thousands of these. it continues to sell. i am out of copies now for the first time in 5 years, but naturally can get more, but naturally will not. im done. it is a great record. i kept a couple for myself.

ap

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Damn, I didn't know this was so common. No wonder I found a box full of them in unplayed condition.

Maybe just a couple extra for myself.

well i figure if you got them from wilbert in ontario ca. you are getting them from the source. if you found them in the south somewhere you may be getting another part of same stuff wilbert got but this is unlikely.

i was selling them for the past 6 months 2 for $15.

ap

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Why did they print up that many copies to begin with? Was it even a regional hit?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    well i figure if you got them from wilbert in ontario ca. you are getting them from the source.
    Is this 45 Canadian?

ps - Great 45 and if I had extra copies I'd just give them to friends. Glad I got the one from ap

Why did they print up that many copies to begin with? Was it even a regional hit?

i dont really know. wilbert got what i think was 6000 or so of them. before he got them it was a 125 pound record and was pretty scarce. the label is from long beach ca. he got them in northern louisaina in a huge storage locker deal along with some other good ones... zip codes, chris jones, and some other stuff.

the first 100 copies he gave me i sold to jazzman gerald short for $15 each. this was like 5 years ago. gerald was pissed when he found out that quantity was going around but at that point it was out of control how many had leaked. i kept my word and only sent them to london through gerald but it did not matter... tons got out. soon wilbert was selling them to every international dealer in the world through the big show at austin texas.

but the thing was the record kept selling and i am sure gerald along with everyone else got rid of the copies. it sells and sells and sells because it is a great record.

a few years ago he sold me several hundred more. they are all gone now with the fellow from groundlift buying me out.

i think wilbert had like 90% of the copies or more. that record is a seller bottom line.

ap

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i have a question, is it just me or is that opening bassline out of tune?

still, an awesome record though.

• in an earlier thread someone said it came out on vinyl as well as sytrene

interesting story though

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Everyone seemed to be selling these in the last year or so, and people are still trying to charge silly money for it. A seller on eBay, I'm sure he may well post on here was selling This, Chris Jones I'm The Man & The Zip Codes Sweet Meat in seriously large quantities for anywhere between $18 - $25 dollars for the three. I got a pack at $18.

Everyone seemed to be selling these in the last year or so, and people are still trying to charge silly money for it. A seller on eBay, I'm sure he may well post on here was selling This, Chris Jones I'm The Man & The Zip Codes Sweet Meat in seriously large quantities for anywhere between $18 - $25 dollars for the three. I got a pack at $18.

that was me... i sold dozens of those lots. they are all gone now. i sold the remainder to groundlift.

maybe these are dried up... i have not talked to wilbert for awhile.

and the bassline is out of tune... that makes it more raw and funky. what a cool record. i have been able to sell that thing to any kind of collector... people who do not even have a 45 collection. people who do not have a funk collection. it is a real nugget.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

The question remains: Who was B.W. and who was the band?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

The question remains: Who was B.W. and who was the band?

can sumeone up this track por fav

curiosity rising

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    and the bassline is out of tune... that makes it more raw and funky. what a cool record. i have been able to sell that thing to any kind of collector... people who do not even have a 45 collection. people who do not have a funk collection. it is a real nugget.

yes, and yes.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    great track but not as rare as once thought.

The fact that even I own this 45 tells you how rare this one is (I must confess that I don't collect 45s at all). Nevertheless it's a nice track...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Theres one on the bay right now for 40$

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I just found a small box full of these.

Get the whole box man... keep quiet about it... trade some, sell some, keep some... but now everybody knows you got 'em so now they will haggle with you, you showing your hand man...

If you ever find a whole box of something that hot just buy 'em all man!

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

that was me... i sold dozens of those lots. they are all gone now. i sold the remainder to groundlift.

maybe these are dried up... i have not talked to wilbert for awhile.

I suspected it might have been you, But was sure it was something else I;d bought off of you, I guess not. Nice one though. They were spotless.

keep quiet about it... trade some, sell some, keep some... but now everybody knows you got 'em so now they will haggle with you, you showing your hand man...

oh yea man... dont show your hand when dealing on the most common readily available record in the world. wouldnt want anyone to know you have quantity of BW SOULS...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    keep quiet about it... trade some, sell some, keep some... but now everybody knows you got 'em so now they will haggle with you, you showing your hand man...

oh yea man... dont show your hand when dealing on the most common readily available record in the world. wouldnt want anyone to know you have quantity of BW SOULS...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

yeah that was kinda funny but i agree somewhat. definitely if you come across a box of a good funky title and you can grab copies for $5 or under just cop it. youre not going to lose your money in the long run but its probably something youll never fully get rid of either. buy it and then holler at a dealer like myself or ap or paycheck etc. get yourself some $ or trade. always keep a dealer # handy just in case you got questions.

not that i want anymore of those HAHAHA... sooo many copies of that. the bw, the cherries, the zipcodes, virgil griffin, johnny talbot, etc. dude had mass amounts of these.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i thought that whole BW explosion went down at least 4 years ago? chris jones, too. don pierce was everywhere then too. same haul?
    i aint mad either, marvins groove is

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Marvin's Groove" is on THIS award winning CD, which you may check out HERE.

i thought that whole BW explosion went down at least 4 years ago? chris jones, too. don pierce was everywhere then too. same haul?
    i aint mad either, marvins groove is

yea dude, wilbert scott. dudes a legend. ontario ca. dude looks like the rapper THE B.O.X. (beyond ordinary existance).

he has family in northern louisiana and was out there when he stubled upon like tens of thousands of 45's in a storage locker. like mustapha he threw down the famous line... " dont make a big deal about it... i'll take it alllll ".

he got thousands of bw souls plus the others mentioned... zip codes, talbot, and all the rest.

the most classic example of a "rare" funk 45 becoming as common as a gordon lightfoot record.

funk 45's: in the record world this is the genre that by far has the most " false scarcity ".

ap

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "Marvin's Groove" is on THIS award winning CD, which you may check out HERE.

Unsolicited endorsement: end-to-end