Desmond Dekker - RIP

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Bad news courtesy Blackcrack list: Desmond Dekker Dead at 64 This is sad. The man was only 64. Still, he made music until the end - and celebrated life, so let's celebrate his.One of the Greatest of All Time.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn. R.I.P. We just lost another one of the greats.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Horrible news... R.I.P. to one of the most soulful voices ever.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Oh my god....

RIP to the Jamaican Otis Redding and one of my very favorite artists.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    RIP

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    RIP

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I got "It Is Not Easy" on repeat.

Sad, sad news.

RIP

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I got "It Is Not Easy" on repeat.

me too.

sad news.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Jah music lives

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Wow. That's a real loss. I almost saw him in the 90s. Wish I had.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Wow. That's a real loss. I almost saw him on many occassions. Wish I had.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Probably my favorite reggae artist of all time. It will be certainly be harder to listen to his music without getting a little emotional from now on.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Wow. That's a real loss. I almost saw him in the 90s. Wish I had.

I seen him at Bob Marley Day Long Beach sometime in the mid-90's along with bunny.
    Got the chance to meet him when him and his boys were hangin in the audience after performing. Very sweet gracious man. Tiny too. Im pretty tall and I remember him being a lot shoter than me. Dressed in a head to tow black leather suit. Smiling from ear to ear. One of the best moments with one of my all time favorite performers. Rest Well.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn. R.I.P. We just lost another one of the greats.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just saw him last year, still in fine form. Looked good and sounded great. RIP...

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    I actually got a chance to DJ desmond's final NYC show last year. Paolo @ Knitting Factory (worlds illest booker) asked me to do it so the show wouldnt just be SKA SKA SKA. i figured a bunch of new and old roots 45s would keep the skinheads mellow until Dekker went on, and it did. A really fun set. Dekker hit the stage in these insane leather pants and a beret and just slayed that shit, his band was all old-head dudes with funny equipment (headless bass guitars, etc) no one was trying to be cool at all but they were SO FUCKING COOL. I feel really proud to have been a part of that show.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Just heard about this - a real shame.

When I was at college in Middlesbrough in the North East of England during the late 80's, I managed to catch a Desmond Dekker show at the Student Union. He came on all done up like Huey Newton Jr - black beret, black leather bomber, leather strides - and he performed a storming set featuring all the hits and more. The band was hot, the crowd were going berserk, and Des straight tore shit up. His arrival on stage had been somewhat tardy, though. While I was waiting, I saw a mate of mine who was working on the stage crew that evening and asked him what was taking so long, thinking he'd sigh in exasperation and regale me with stories of irrational, prima donna-ish behaviour backstage. "He's still in the pub across the road" my mate said, "He must have had about twenty pints already." Turns out that the late Mr. Dacres had suffered with appalling stagefright throughout his entire career, and that the method he'd devised for coping with it was to neck industrial quantities of lager before each performance. Not that you'd ever be able to tell, though. The man was a true pro. RIP.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    RIP

The first Jamaican singer I ever knew about....

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts
    RIP DESMOND

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    what a bummer ! R.I.P.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    damn. RIP to a great artist.

• Options
    Gorgeous voice with a seemingly infinite catalogue (and so much more than the Isrealites Lp that everyone knows him for). An icon.

Desmond's sung Logic

K in Canada.