know what I hate?

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
when a show that otherwise works to create some illusion of reality (Lost) shows a guy drinking a big coffee and the paper cup is OBVIOUSLY EMPTY.how hard is it to fill a cup w/ coffee? or water??????what do you hate/.

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Post a spoiler and I ban your ass.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Split Seams. On a record jacket, they're unseemly, but on a PAPER COFFEE CUP...

It's true dear readers, there I was, sitting in by videoconference with folls from around the country, when the able assistant brings the coffee in with lunch from COSI. Having flown in on the red-eye that morning, the coffee was

I started to drink it with the quickness, without my usual removal of the lid --too many times those lids dribble coffee down your shirt, which is definitely

Damn if the fucker wasn't dripping.

I removed the lid, and assumed that would resolve the problem. Took another drink. Still dripping, slightly worse this time. I go to investigate the issue and when I pick the cup up from the table, the seam fully splits, sending nigh-scalding coffee sluicing over my hand onto the conference room table, while others (pretended to) ignore the debacle in the videoconference. Mute the microphone and cuss a blue streak, the cup split at the seam.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    mayonaise

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    mayonaise

I dry heave just thinking about eating that grease

• I dry heave just thinking about eating that grease

Hope you don't have asthma.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    when a show that otherwise works to create some illusion of reality (Lost) shows a guy drinking a big coffee and the paper cup is OBVIOUSLY EMPTY.

how hard is it to fill a cup w/ coffee? or water??????

what do you hate/.

On a similar TV drink illusion tip, I hate it when they drink red wine that, is clearly not the colour of red wine, but probably some sort of fruit juice. Minor thing, just bugs me though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I watched the Fugitive the other night, and I really hate long fight scenes between two guys who shouldn't really be able to fight, like two doctors. Maybe they had a military background or something, but there's countless examples in other movies. Hollywood has gotten slightly better at skipping the mandatory half hour fight at the end lately (unless it's called for, like when superpowers are in effect).

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    i hate it that villians with machine guns are in no way dangerous.

(like in trasporter 2: PLEASE! how hard can it be to hit with two MGs?)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I hate when most on TV dial a phone number. The shit looks like bullshit most of the time. Like you really could know everyone's number and dial it in under 3 seconds and they pick it up in under 2 seconds...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When I get coffee from the shop and the glued/seamline lines up w/ the place im suppossed to crack the plastic mouththingy.

Ginger ale instead of champange on tv/films

Broadway plays

How country radio is "whitelisting" the Dixie Chicks

Ernie Jonhson's funny new tumour-like jawline on Inside The NBA. Someone call the Men In Black on this cat. Shit is nasty to look @.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    mayonaise

dirty fingernails

my boss

when switching off sets, the next DJ cuts off the previous song (unless it's a case of "go ahead, it's a long one" or they do a brilliant mix)

backpacks on crowded transit

those baggy flimsy inner sleeves that bunch up and hang out of the outer sleeve

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Oh yes these are horrible.

Whats everyones beef with Mayo? That shit is great?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Ha ha yes.

Also, people with umbrellas. Considering how much it rains over here you'd think people could learn to use an umbrella without nearly taking my eye out everytime i walk past them.

Technology glitches. The more advanced computers, phones etc get the harder and harder it becomes to just sort them out in 5 minutes yourself. Plus i seem to radiate magnetic waves which kill any piece of machinery within a year of owning it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    the snail-like pace in which mail travels. I've been waiting on some mail for a little over a week and I'm about to lose it.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I hate when most on TV dial a phone number. The shit looks like bullshit most of the time. Like you really could know everyone's number and dial it in under 3 seconds and they pick it up in under 2 seconds...

Ha ha, yes. I also hate on TV when the "computer expert" sits down and starts typing furiously and things just start popping up on the screen. It's always like some sophisticated gene code analysis or matching a serial killer to his dental imprint, and the person is OBVIOUSLY typing total nonsense while pictures fly by on the screen. It makes me laugh every time.

My other pet peeve is when they show someone play a musical instrument who obviously has no idea what they are doing. They always seem to think playing a sax or a horn requires bending back and forth at the waist. How hard is it to hire a real musician?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    when a show that otherwise works to create some illusion of reality (Lost) shows a guy drinking a big coffee and the paper cup is OBVIOUSLY EMPTY.

what do you hate/.

i agree with you, that is so stupid. on a similiar tip, i kinda get annoyed when i see people smoking in the movies, take a drag and no smoke comes out. i know they're trying to save their lives and shit, but they're not fooling me with that smoking fakery

i also can't stand waiting behind somebody buying lottery tickets at the corner store. not only does it kinda make me sad but they're usually taking forever with the transaction whether it's the big lotto or they want really specific scratch tickets (lemme get 2 of the giraffes, 5 of the carousel, 3 of the blah blah). i am always behind someone buying lottery everytime i walk into a corner store in my neighborhood

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

what do you hate/.

i agree with you, that is so stupid. on a similiar tip, i kinda get annoyed when i see people smoking in the movies, take a drag and no smoke comes out. i know they're trying to save their lives and shit, but their not fooling me with that smoking fakery

At the same time I really hate to see an actor actually chainsmoking for a role and I HOPE they really do in real life

Sex scenes where the dude humps her stomach.

Bad hollywood kissing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Sex scenes where the dude humps her stomach.

Bad hollywood kissing.

or the girl gives oral to his belly button (cinemax)

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

i also can't stand waiting behind somebody buying lottery tickets at the corner store. not only does it kinda make me sad but they're usually taking forever with the transaction whether it's the big lotto or they want really specific scratch tickets (lemme get 2 of the giraffes, 5 of the carousel, 3 of the blah blah). i am always behind someone buying lottery everytime i walk into a corner store in my neighborhood

I used to work at a counter selling these and I hate it to. I called it paper crack, because people would just come and spend over $100 a day and every couple of weeks they would win $200 or $300 and be all excited. Do the math, you are losing tons of money. Put that shit in the bank and make interest. Most of the heavy addicts were really poor which is just sad. I tried on many occasions to convince people to stop playing, but no one stopped.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the preview voice

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    tv/film hates:

using special effects for a few scenes (usually at the start) and then abandoning it for the rest of the film ie. Ray, Sympathy for Lady Vengence

switching film stock/lighting/focus from cut to cut. you have to be a really good editor and art director to pull this off and have more than "it looks cool" and "look at our equipment" for a reason ie. Hard Candy

music cues. enter sad music...sad scene coming up everyone! ie. 98% of movies

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    wasting a perfectly good song you probably spent half your budget on. Ie., Layer Cake- if you are going to use, "Gimme Shelter," it better have a great scene to go along with it. Not some shoehorned in Sex scene/plot device that gets dropped halfway through.

premature ejaculation all over the stones.

I used to work at a counter selling these and I hate it to. I called it paper crack, because people would just come and spend over $100 a day and every couple of weeks they would win $200 or $300 and be all excited. Do the math, you are losing tons of money. Put that shit in the bank and make interest. Most of the heavy addicts were really poor which is just sad. I tried on many occasions to convince people to stop playing, but no one stopped.

Lottery lines in my hood are ridiculous. I argued w/ a friend of mine about this shit.
    Str8 Bamboozled cats............

Fake -ass mixed race/culture street gangs. Stop tryin to be PC.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I hate record dealers that keep your picks when you go to pay for the records you spent 2 hours digging through tons of unwanted junk for. They say" oh, I want to keep that one" and pick out the goods.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

Great article about scratch-off addiction.

• Ernie Jonhson's funny new tumour-like jawline on Inside The NBA. Someone call the Men In Black on this cat. Shit is nasty to look @.

Finally someone else mentions Ernie Johnson's fucking head. My friend and I noticed it like a month ago. You can tell they shoot around it because he's always facing to the left or he's in the faraway shot. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this. Last night he had a headset on and the microphone was over the weird part. My bet is its a goiter of some kind. In any case,

• Ernie Jonhson's funny new tumour-like jawline on Inside The NBA. Someone call the Men In Black on this cat. Shit is nasty to look @.

Finally someone else mentions Ernie Johnson's fucking head. My friend and I noticed it like a month ago. You can tell they shoot around it because he's always facing to the left or he's in the faraway shot. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this. Last night he had a headset on and the microphone was over the weird part. My bet is its a goiter of some kind. In any case,

Dude, he has cancer.

http://www.insidehoops.com/ernie-johnson-022206.shtml

???Two and a half years ago, in August of 2003, I was diagnosed with "follicular" Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is a low-grade and treatable cancer--not as aggressive as some other forms. The approach that my oncologist recommended was what is called "watchful waiting"--that is, monitoring my condition with checkups every 4 months with the option to begin treatment if and when I began showing symptoms of illness. Through all this time I have had no symptoms...have felt great... and still do to this day.

The only reason I'm bringing my condition to your attention now is because the swelling of a lymph node near my left ear has become noticeable to viewers of TNT and there have been questions asked. My plan is to work the rest of the NBA season and playoffs, go to the beach with my wife, Cheryl, and our 4 kids, and start a treatment regimen in late June, which will likely include chemotherapy. And then I'll go back to work.

• Wow, now I feel really bad. I had just noticed they were shooting around it. I thought lymph nodes maybe because it was on the one side but I figured it was nothing serious because he was still on tv and he seemed otherwise unafflicted. He says he feels fine, though. If that was me I still might want it taken care of. None of that watchful waiting business. Thank you for letting me know I was making an ass of myself.