The Truth....

2»

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    First off, I'm not here saying there's no such thing as Global Warming or anything like that. I'm simply stating that Gore doesn't even need to get on a fucking plane. I'd be a million times more impressed if he made a statement saying something along the lines of "We all need to do our part, I will be cutting down my fuel consumption as much as possible and will speak any time, anywhere for free via video conferencing and web casting".

Carbon credits??? To me, thats sort of a joke...

No its not a joke.. more and more corporations are doing it.. and do you really think making a statement by sending out a video conference instead of making personal appearances and meeting with public officials in almost every country is the way to go.. I'm sorry man.. you don't have a fucking clue... but its more important to impress you, right?

I'm not talking if he's going to speak to the UN or to a head of state or some shit. I'm saying not every speech (or to promote a movie) needs to be done in person, flown to on a private jet.

But I'm serious here. What makes more sense? Trying to get people to lower their energy consumption and setting by example or promoting a band-aid solution with Carbon credits? I can see it now, rich people driving in their hummers and private jets saying it's ok cause they purchased their carbon credits...

Whatever dude... I paid to see The Day After Tomorrow and I'll probably pay to see this. Feel better???

i think industries already trade carbon credits. There is like a futures market in them on the chicago merc. seriously.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    First off, I'm not here saying there's no such thing as Global Warming or anything like that. I'm simply stating that Gore doesn't even need to get on a fucking plane. I'd be a million times more impressed if he made a statement saying something along the lines of "We all need to do our part, I will be cutting down my fuel consumption as much as possible and will speak any time, anywhere for free via video conferencing and web casting".

No its not a joke.. more and more corporations are doing it.. and do you really think making a statement by sending out a video conference instead of making personal appearances and meeting with public officials in almost every country is the way to go.. I'm sorry man.. you don't have a fucking clue... but its more important to impress you, right?

I'm not talking if he's going to speak to the UN or to a head of state or some shit. I'm saying not every speech (or to promote a movie) needs to be done in person, flown to on a private jet.

But I'm serious here. What makes more sense? Trying to get people to lower their energy consumption and setting by example or promoting a band-aid solution with Carbon credits? I can see it now, rich people driving in their hummers and private jets saying it's ok cause they purchased their carbon credits...

Whatever dude... I paid to see The Day After Tomorrow and I'll probably pay to see this. Feel better???

i think industries already trade carbon credits. There is like a futures market in them on the chicago merc. seriously.

Yeah, I've read that. A commodities market of sorts. I can see it now. Hey, our company has more than enough carbon credits. We can produce X Y & Z amount of greenhouse gasses now!

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

Yeah, I've read that. A commodities market of sorts. I can see it now. Hey, our company has more than enough carbon credits. We can produce X Y & Z amount of greenhouse gasses now!

I'm sorry I had no idea who I was dealing with.. Mr. Speculative.. "I can see it now.. they want me to buy things that can help the environment, Pfft... More money to cover up the problem" ....next.... "I can see it now... I think it is just disgusting that I should have to watch how much energy I use when those big corporations use more than I do" next..."I can see it now...(while i sit on my ass and complain about little nit picking things...others are doing what they can right now to make a difference.. That shit is wack son"

I can see it now.. I can see it now....

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This is an interesting topic, and one that should be discussed seriously. But, this particularly discussion is nigh on worthless.

We should finish this conversation later, during the designated break period. Sincerely, Homer Jay Simpson.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This is an interesting topic, and one that should be discussed seriously. But, this particularly discussion is nigh on worthless.

I've been trying to figure out what's going on here? Apparently nothing.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Apparently, what I've learned, is that global warming is Al Gore's fault, because he rides in a plane. It is just another of the amazing inventions he's developed.

Apparently, what I've learned, is that global warming is Al Gore's fault, because he rides in a plane. It is just another of the amazing inventions he's developed.

Thats not what I've been trying to debate here in any way shape or form. The thing is, I'm not even trying to debate that global warming or that, what this movie is about isn't an important issue, or even if it's all Al's fault or not. I will say that so called "Carbon Credits" IMO are bullshit and so is telling someone that something must be done now because the world is in danger and then jumping on a private jet to fly somewhere else, doesn't set a good example to anyone.

But whatever. God forbid I don't agree on Al's way of doing things.

I'll just continue to do my own thing...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...telling someone that something must be done now because the world is in danger and then jumping on a private jet to fly somewhere else, doesn't set a good example to anyone.

Your reasoning is pretty extreme.

How many places around the world are set up for live streaming video feeds to be screened for hundreds or thousands in real time? Not to mention, what about all those computers they're using? Those will eventually hurt the environment.
    See what I'm getting at here? There are certain necessarry evils that we ALL do every day. The difference is, most of us are not trying to reach every person we can to help stop it.
    Nit-picking him using an airplane is ridiculous at best, when comparing it to the possible good this message and film can do.

...telling someone that something must be done now because the world is in danger and then jumping on a private jet to fly somewhere else, doesn't set a good example to anyone.

Your reasoning is pretty extreme.

How many places around the world are set up for live streaming video feeds to be screened for hundreds or thousands in real time? Not to mention, what about all those computers they're using? Those will eventually hurt the environment.
    See what I'm getting at here? There are certain necessarry evils that we ALL do every day. The difference is, most of us are not trying to reach every person we can to help stop it.
    Nit-picking him using an airplane is ridiculous at best, when comparing it to the possible good this message and film can do.

If only jesus had an airplane.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Or a Soulstrut account.

Or a Soulstrut account.

EEEEHHHH YO!

• Humans are so goddamn self-centered.

What, really, is the problem? Sure, your DNA is programmed to replicate
    its information, so by worrying and hand-wringing you're basically doing
    what the "boss" tells you to do.

Worst case scenario - humans wiped off of the face of the earth.

So fucking what - the energy, matter and information contained
    in your body, your son's body, your great-great-great grandaughter's
    body, will STILL BE HERE in the universe, just not in human form.

RECOGNIZE : matter can neither be created nor destroyed.

Only transferred.

The earth was here before humans, and will be here long after humans
    are gone.

The energy contained in your body will be dispersed, and you have
    no say in the matter : nature always wins, nature always disperses.

And all the hot air y'all are blowing is only making the "problem" worse.

Jump into the fire, bitches.

Humans are so goddamn self-centered.

What, really, is the problem? Sure, your DNA is programmed to replicate
    its information, so by worrying and hand-wringing you're basically doing
    what the "boss" tells you to do.

Worse case scenario - humans wiped off of the face of the earth.

So fucking what - the energy, matter and information contained
    in your body, your son's body, your great-great-great grandaughter's
    body, will STILL BE HERE in the universe, just not in human form.

RECOGNIZE : matter can neither be created or destroyed.

Only transferred.

The earth was here before humans, and will be here long after humans
    are gone.

The energy contained in your body will be dispersed, and you have
    no say in the matter : nature always wins, nature always disperses.

And all the hot air y'all are blowing is only making the "problem" worse.

Jump into the fire, bitches.

By far the greatest thing written on this site.

• One thing I feel compelled to make clear is that global warming means quite simply global warming. To say you accept it means nothing more than saying you feel the earth is in the process of increasing in temperature. There is a very broad scientific consensus on the existence of global warming but this is not the case with its causation and potential future consequences.

There is a habit of citing the general consensus on its existence as both a defence and rebuke of matters which are themselves unrelated to the question of its existence.