The Truth....

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I know you prolly heard this a bizzillion times.. but evryone should go see An Inconvenient Truth this week.. or when ever it comes out in your area. Just see it. that is all

Comments

• I know you prolly heard this a bizzillion times.. but evryone should go see An Inconvenient Truth this week.. or when ever it comes out in your area. Just see it. that is all

I take it you've seen it? what was youre first reaction leaving the theater? this film seems like a piece designed to scare the shit out of the viewer

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I know you prolly heard this a bizzillion times.. but evryone should go see An Inconvenient Truth this week.. or when ever it comes out in your area. Just see it. that is all

I take it you've seen it? what was youre first reaction leaving the theater? this film seems like a piece designed to scare the shit out of the viewer

If the trailer is any indication, you got that right.

Where's the "shitting in my pants" graemlin?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Did any of y'all read the three part article in the New Yorker last spring by Elizabeth Kolbert, or her follow up book, "Field Notes from a Catastrophe,"? Great basic overview of global warming, and our nation's "policies" on the subject. Great writing; you won't sleep for a while, though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey, whaddaya know? Fox News says he's exaggerating.

They even have a "senior fellow" from the Cato Institute* come on to talk about it.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200605170011

*Rupert Murdoch has served on the board of directors of Cato, and was at the time also on the board of tobacco company Phillip Morris.

It has been reported by critical sources that Cato has received substantial funding from Phillip Morris and other tobacco companies, though it was never more than 1 or 2 % of the institute's funding.

The Knight Ridder newspapers reported that the Institute had received backing from "the American International Group, an insurance and financial services company whose business includes managing U.S. retirement plans" as Social Security reform has become a more prominent issue.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    I've been doing a lot of research on the environment lately and this is a movie than tis disturbing, to say the least, to me.... I can't imagine what it will be like to the uniformed. Just

I've been doing a lot of research on the environment lately and this is a movie than tis disturbing, to say the least, to me.... I can't imagine what it will be like to the uniformed. Just

The problem is that people who don't want to believe this (and, as the title of the film says, it is an 'inconvenient' truth) will always find some "scientist," to say that Global Warming isn't happening. The E. Kolbert article was great in this sense; the first part was all about current climatologists; the 2nd was all about the history of humans and climate; and the third was all on current US policy on the subject.

Anyway, in the first article, one of the world's leading climatologists says that in a conference of about 400 scientists, (and here i paraphrase) "You could maybe find 5 scientists in this conference who will tell you it isn't happening. MAYBE 5." Which, if you've ever hung around with scientists, that sort of agreement is unheard of (they like debate more than Strutters; I feel qualified to say this, as my father is a scientist, and I grew up around a bunch of his Geology/Mineralogy geek friends).

But, to people who want to buy 5 Hummers for their company cars, they will always have those few contrarian scientists to support their consumption.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    i haven't seen the movie, but yeah it's just crazy to me that so many people still think global warming is just a theory, and that so many people are still in denial when it's been a fact for at least a decade. i think it's hard for people to deal with in a number of ways. for one it's difficult for people to recognize something that doesn't affect them directly or that they can't experience physically. and in this sense i think a lot of people are waiting for local indications--my parents for one tell me that the average summer temperature in their county last year is the same as it always has been, and it's all i can do to try and explain to them that the rise in global temperature isn't necessarily something that they can link to local warming or an abnormal string of above or below average days. it's something that's happening to the entire planet and it's so hard to convince people that some serious shit is going down. especially in america where fresh water supplies are generally still plentiful enough that they're taken for granted and abused.
    the other thing is it's just a really disturbing issue, especially because we don't know exactly what is going to happen and as far as i know there's nothing we can really do about it now anyway. (at least in the immediate future). it's scared me enough that i really wonder about bringing kids into the world. what kind of world is it going to be like for them? i'm guessing that 5 years from now it will still be the same, but 10 years? 20 years? fuck, it's really hard to say. i think that fresh water is going to be an issue for sure. and i really can't think of a more serious one. it depresses me to the point that i try to ignore it and just tell myself that i'll deal with it as it comes. unfortunately i think that's what we've all been doing. if anyone can drop science on some positive global warming shit i'd love to hear it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    to support their consumption.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Global warming aside. Doesn't anyone find it ironic that Gore flies all over the world (Sometimes on private jets) to promote this movie and to speak at many different lectures and speaking engagements.

I mean, the guy probably over a life time is responsible for the fuel consumption and gases emissions of a few thousand average americans himself.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Global warming aside. Doesn't anyone find it ironic that Gore flies all over the world (Sometimes on private jets) to promote this movie and to speak at many different lectures and speaking engagements.

I mean, the guy probably over a life time is responsible for the fuel consumption and gases emissions of a few thousand average americans himself.

No. I don't find it ironic at all. How do you get overseas? Swim? Rowboat?

Dude... Why do you have to go over seas?

On my campus we have major video conferences all the time. Which are fully integrated with people from all over the planet.

I'm 100% sure that he doesn't have to be at most of these and could just speak from his office if he truly believed in what he's preaching. But then again... Do as I say, not as I do I guess.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I recently saw a short doc about Gore made by Spike Jones. It was made around the time of the 2000 election and it shows him to be a very warm and human dude. It gets across exactly what he was never able to get across when he ran for president. I want to see this movie and probably will if it comes to Richmond.

I have been more and more concerned with this stuff as I have started thinking long term about my life. I am getting married soon and will probably have some kids in the next 5 years. I don't want them to have to deal with the shit I didn't take care of.

On my campus we have major video conferences all the time. Which are fully integrated with people from all over the planet.

I'm 100% sure that he doesn't have to be at most of these and could just speak from his office if he truly believed in what he's preaching. But then again... Do as I say, not as I do I guess.

Yeah, that Al Gore is a real hypocritical bastard (or so says Drudge, from whence this new right wing meme comes).
    So, from now on we're all going to sit in our individual, solar-powered cubicles and relate to the rest of the world via digital transmission. Welcome to the 21st century.

I guess this is why it took so long for Bush to visit New Orleans. He was protecting the ozone layer from Airforce One.

I guess this is why it took so long for Bush to visit New Orleans. He was protecting the ozone layer from Airforce One.

LOL

Arguing about Al Gore flying around is like saying that I'm not doing enough for starving Africans because I haven't sent them the contents of my pantry. If his flying around makes people wake up to the reality of this situation, and start (because we are behind the starting line...At this point, we can't talk about fixing a problem of this enormity; we need to talk about accepting the enormity of the problem, and then work on fixing it. And yes, all of this should have happened about 3 decades ago.) making the necessary lifestyle changes, then let him fly around in the plane equivalent of a Hummer for all I care. I'm not Gore's biggest fan, but he is doing SOMETHING, which is a lot more than the guy who "BEAT" him in the 2000 election.

Yeah, that Al Gore is a real hypocritical bastard (or so says Drudge, from whence this new right wing meme comes).
    So, from now on we're all going to sit in our individual, solar-powered cubicles and relate to the rest of the world via digital transmission. Welcome to the 21st century.

How do you except average people to stop driving their SUV's when you give a speech somewhere and then jump on ur private jet to fly off for a holiday?

Also, video and web casts are becoming a major part for many corporate and intellectual conferences. I don't think it's less of a "human experience" to have one. I've been to a major event where there were 5 different people from around the world debating. It was pretty interesting and was just as good as having them sit on a stage.

I'm just saying Al should be trying to set by example.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

They even have a "senior fellow" from the Cato Institute* come on to talk about it.

*Rupert Murdoch has served on the board of directors of Cato, and was at the time also on the board of tobacco company Phillip Morris.

It has been reported by critical sources that Cato has received substantial funding from Phillip Morris and other tobacco companies, though it was never more than 1 or 2 % of the institute's funding.

The Knight Ridder newspapers reported that the Institute had received backing from "the American International Group, an insurance and financial services company whose business includes managing U.S. retirement plans" as Social Security reform has become a more prominent issue.

These so called "think tanks" destroy the possibility of true public policy debate based in empirical evidence. In fact these "think tanks," while pawned to public as academic, the opposite. They already have conclusions and collect evidence support them. Evidence should guide you to a conclusion.

Also, video and web casts are becoming a major part for many corporate and intellectual conferences. I don't think it's less of a "human experience" to have one. I've been to a major event where there were 5 different people from around the world debating. It was pretty interesting and was just as good as having them sit on a stage.

It's better public relations to show up in person, kiss babies, and hang at the local diner.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

These so called "think tanks" destroy the possibility of true public policy debate based in empirical evidence. In fact these "think tanks," while pawned to public as academic, the opposite. They already have conclusions and collect evidence support them. Evidence should guide you to a conclusion.

Haven't you heard science is as dead as god.

How do you except average people to stop driving their SUV's when you give a speech somewhere and then jump on ur private jet to fly off for a holiday?

Cart before the horse. When we start making real strides as a society, and leadership starts to ACKNOWLEDGE that there MAY be a problem, we can worry about Al Gore's flight plan. Until then, this is so far down the list I can't even see it. And debating the merits of this in the midst of a global warming discussion is a waste of time, not to mention a classic Fox News-esque distraction tactic.

By the way, here are links to that 3 part Elizabeth Kolbert New Yorker article from last spring. The mag website took it down, but some guy posted it in conjunction with an interview. Links to the interview are at the bottom of the page.

Required Reading. Test on Tuesday.

http://www.wesjones.com/climate1.htm

http://www.wesjones.com/climate2.htm

http://www.wesjones.com/climate3.htm

Cart before the horse. When we start making real strides as a society, and leadership starts to ACKNOWLEDGE that there MAY be a problem, we can worry about Al Gore's flight plan. Until then, this is so far down the list I can't even see it. And debating the merits of this in the midst of a global warming discussion is a waste of time, not to mention a classic Fox News-esque distraction tactic.

It's so hypicritical. But whatever...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

YOU SHOULD DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SAY SHIT.... THE MOVIE IS CARBON NEUTRAL MENAING THEY HAVE CALCULATED ALL TRAVEL AND PRODUCTION (THEIR CARBON FOOTPRINT). THEN THEY OFF-SET THIS BUY BUYING CARBON CREDITS... I was at the premeir at Archlight last night and it says this at the end.....

YOU SHOULD DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU SAY SHIT.... THE MOVIE IS CARBON NEUTRAL MENAING THEY HAVE CALCULATED ALL TRAVEL AND PRODUCTION (THEIR CARBON FOOTPRINT). THEN THEY OFF-SET THIS BUY BUYING CARBON CREDITS... I was at the premeir at Archlight last night and it says this at the end.....

Cool!

I did not know that![/b]

First off, I'm not here saying there's no such thing as Global Warming or anything like that. I'm simply stating that Gore doesn't even need to get on a fucking plane. I'd be a million times more impressed if he made a statement saying something along the lines of "We all need to do our part, I will be cutting down my fuel consumption as much as possible and will speak any time, anywhere for free via video conferencing and web casting".

Carbon credits??? To me, thats sort of a joke... All that says to me is instead of making some sort of lifestyle adjustments or an alternate way to lecture to a group, you can "buy" your way, instead of really do whats needed to cut down. Your not really giving the average person an incentive to cut down on their energy usage. Just a way for them to "buy" their conscience off. IMO

It's kinda like how Canada shit talked the US for backing out of the Kyoto accord. When stats show the US is doing a way better job of cutting greenhouse gas emissions than Canada has been doing. The Canadian government has finally realized that it can't hit their goals promised, so has now looked into buy carbon credits...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I recently saw a short doc about Gore made by Spike Jones. It was made around the time of the 2000 election and it shows him to be a very warm and human dude. It gets across exactly what he was never able to get across when he ran for president. I want to see this movie and probably will if it comes to Richmond.

I met him and he's short, fleshy, his hair is thinning, and he doesnt come across very well.

On the other hand - Mario Cuomo - that guy has a presence, and is also a sharp dresser in a very classical style. Overcoat and beautiful grey hamburg hat when I met him.

First off, I'm not here saying there's no such thing as Global Warming or anything like that. I'm simply stating that Gore doesn't even need to get on a fucking plane. I'd be a million times more impressed if he made a statement saying something along the lines of "We all need to do our part, I will be cutting down my fuel consumption as much as possible and will speak any time, anywhere for free via video conferencing and web casting".

Carbon credits??? To me, thats sort of a joke...

No its not a joke.. more and more corporations are doing it.. and do you really think making a statement by sending out a video conference instead of making personal appearances and meeting with public officials in almost every country is the way to go.. I'm sorry man.. you don't have a fucking clue... but its more important to impress you, right?

Carbon credits??? To me, thats sort of a joke...

No its not a joke.. more and more corporations are doing it.. and do you really think making a statement by sending out a video conference instead of making personal appearances and meeting with public officials in almost every country is the way to go.. I'm sorry man.. you don't have a fucking clue... but its more important to impress you, right?

I'm not talking if he's going to speak to the UN or to a head of state or some shit. I'm saying not every speech (or to promote a movie) needs to be done in person, flown to on a private jet.

But I'm serious here. What makes more sense? Trying to get people to lower their energy consumption and setting by example or promoting a band-aid solution with Carbon credits? I can see it now, rich people driving in their hummers and private jets saying it's ok cause they purchased their carbon credits...

Whatever dude... I paid to see The Day After Tomorrow and I'll probably pay to see this. Feel better???