2 more record stores opening in Wburg WTF?

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Actually my clients are pretty thankful. The willingness of *most* collectors to pay the going rate for serious items is plenty proof of that. You are just not going to find clean copies of a lot of the records sold here (or at TSL, or A1, or Academy...) for 10c at a record fair.

I won't even get into listing all the awesome shit that's been here in under a year alone but trust, these records are not popping up anywhere and the reason they are pricey is because they are not cheap to get in the first place.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    God forbid a store should want real money for their records...

Reminds me of the euro and japanese dudes who appear genuinely shocked that you want $30 for a 12"

Don't get me started on the "I don't pay more than $10 for anything" crowd.

At this point in my life, the time that would be spent digging is at more of a premium than the money. Give me a boutique store anyday.

TRUTH.

But it does occur to me the ">$10 digger" might be doing it as a challenge. Like playing "Resident Evil 4" but only using your knife.

my limit is 25-30 these days... which occasionally i break... it's like having a 10 dollar ceiling on lunch in nyc... you should have ALOT of choices... but, i'll just say, copping something on the cheap that you found from digging is a genuine adreneline rush, laying down 40 bucks for something (unless it's a 200 dollar record!) is not...

Oh I definitely hear you on that! and truthfully I would love to sell records for less.... but it is impossible to keep good stock if you are not willing to pay... and of course you have the international dealers to contend with.

I had a lot of seriously underpriced stock when I opened....and it was eaten alive by a few foreign dealers.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    where are the two new stores opening?

also jared gets a shout out in the liner notes of the new mobb deep album

also i tried to go to good on sunday and it was CLOOOOOOOOOZED

also i tried to go to good on sunday and it was CLOOOOOOOOOZED

I GOTSTA WATCH BASKETBALL SOMETIME FOLL!

b/w

mental health day

b/w

Who knew I would get a celeb visit on a rainy day??

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    copping something on the cheap that you found from digging is a genuine adreneline rush

Yeah - I'm seriously saying: it's about the challenge. Believe me, I understand that. We'd all prefer to find a box of stock Salts in someone's basement or what not but for me, I also get an adrenaline rush listening to a great record (that I may have to spend $200 on to acquire).

There's the chase and then there's the music. Both are powerful drugs. The latter just costs more.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    I likewise wish you the best in your quest to spend as little as possible on records but what I do here is a lot more than just mark up the price. Plaese to stop disrespecfellating.

I was in town from boston last weekend....totally forgot to stop by the shop. I'll make it soon. Made it to that williamsburg record fair thing.....caught a few 45s. But I definately dropped money on them. I don't mind it really, I agree with the time element. Sure, sometimes I get lucky and get a cheap collection. However, when I pay more I just figure I am paying for the work it took to get that record, the contacts needed, the big collections bought etcetc.

More on topic, when I go to nyc now I usually am saying in Williamsburg with my girl at her brothers place. I have only been there twice now tho...can someone hip me to some of these spots? Doesn't sound like they are secret squirrel type places. Academy? I assume I can find address online or something?

-pj

PJ, yeah K*m told me you were in town - no worries though, we'll connect soon.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I likewise wish you the best in your quest to spend as little as possible on records but what I do here is a lot more than just mark up the price. Plaese to stop disrespecfellating.

I was in town from boston last weekend....totally forgot to stop by the shop. I'll make it soon. Made it to that williamsburg record fair thing.....caught a few 45s. But I definately dropped money on them. I don't mind it really, I agree with the time element. Sure, sometimes I get lucky and get a cheap collection. However, when I pay more I just figure I am paying for the work it took to get that record, the contacts needed, the big collections bought etcetc.

More on topic, when I go to nyc now I usually am saying in Williamsburg with my girl at her brothers place. I have only been there twice now tho...can someone hip me to some of these spots? Doesn't sound like they are secret squirrel type places. Academy? I assume I can find address online or something?

-pj

re: money vs time...

i guess it depends on how much money and time you have... i've got more of the latter... (and, again, it's fun!)

acadamy and junk are both in the phone book (and within a 5 block area of the bedford ave. L train station)

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Its a good thing there are enough records in this town for all of us.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Or what?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Or what?

or you'll be forced to open your own shop in Williamsburg!

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    First we had the restaurant bubble, then the bars, then the yoga studios, followed by the beauty spas. Now it seems like it's record store fever round here. Of course, being NYC, or even the USA, 5 open and 4 will close within 18 months. I just feel like these people should be told about the pain and suffering they are in for. That's gonna be at least 10 stores in less than a one mile radius. Apparently some are established shops saying no more to Manhattan rents. But the business dynamic here is more like the Hamptons than Manhattan. I see many bitter record store dudes in my future. Not like Academy aren't getting moody enough.

I only have notice one of these two you speak of and it appears to be one that moved, although I can't recall where from. Depending on where it is coming from, I don't see its location on R**... as being an place where reduced rent will cover reduced sales. (If anyone actually feels this location clue gives too much away, let me know)

I wish this influx could have waited til I had a job.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    There's another new one. Another new one on Grand St, no less.

• There's another new one. Another new one on Grand St, no less.

Damn, you all are getting silly with this.

The new one on grand is a punk store that, from what I saw on opening day, sells only new vinyl. They had like 4 soul records in there. So, if you want to pay $14 for a new issue of a Booker T & The MGs record, this is the spot. The store is two blocks from Bedford. Two blocks from Bedford in the other direction is another relatively new spot that sells a fair amount of experimental records. Hcrink would love it.

I'm not sure where this other new spot people are talking about is, but I certainly don't see what is so secret about it.