2 more record stores opening in Wburg WTF?

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
First we had the restaurant bubble, then the bars, then the yoga studios, followed by the beauty spas. Now it seems like it's record store fever round here. Of course, being NYC, or even the USA, 5 open and 4 will close within 18 months. I just feel like these people should be told about the pain and suffering they are in for. That's gonna be at least 10 stores in less than a one mile radius. Apparently some are established shops saying no more to Manhattan rents. But the business dynamic here is more like the Hamptons than Manhattan. I see many bitter record store dudes in my future. Not like Academy aren't getting moody enough.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    where they at?

i haven't even seen the one on Grand yet...

the only place in w'burg i ever buy records is Junk, and i go there like once every 6 months... oh and Academy occasionally...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    At today's rates Williamsburg rent is not substantially less than Manhattan rent

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's the deal with Rob from TSL opening a new store?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think one of them is also gonna be on Grand.

At today's rates Williamsburg rent is not substantially less than Manhattan rent

Very true, I know folks who have moved to the LES because they can't afford Wburg anymore. But I think businesses can still get 5-10 year leases round here (away from Bedford strip) which I think is pretty impossible in Manhattan these days. If you can lock in something like that it makes sense on paper... but shit like clouds and a slight breeze keeps the hipsters away round these parts! This must be factored into your weekly take. Brunch is the biggest money earner round here zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz GTFOHWTBS

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Axe Delay

There you are!

Are you the real head who knows the deal?

But yo - is this that hush-hush a question? I thought everyone knew that Rob split..it's logical to ask, "where's all that vinyl going?"

Considering that Rob, Steve, and Jared all probably lurk on here I think the appropriate thing would be to allow them to deal with it as they see fit, when they see fit... and not to engage in a record digging rumor fest.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Considering that Rob, Steve, and Jared all probably lurk on here I think the appropriate thing would be to allow them to deal with it as they see fit.

Considering that Rob, Steve, and Jared all probably lurk on here I think the appropriate thing would be to allow them to deal with it as they see fit, when they see fit... and not to engage in a record digging rumor fest.

I have no problem with that but since when has the potential for lurkers ever stopped anyone on the Strut from "engaging in record digging rumors"? Sheet, isn't that like Strut 101?

That said, I'm not trying to pursue this or anything. COnsider case closed.

yeah, with big ray

lol

I'll bet $100 that Jared does not know or care how to find this forum.

Dude, I'll take that hunnid, at least in terms ofthe "does not know" portion. I wouldn't want to wager on whether he cares about it or not.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Doesn't Miss Shingaling lurk on his behalf???

Doesn't Miss Shingaling lurk on his behalf???

You can hire a SS proxy? Damn, I need one of those.

I'll bet $100 that Jared may be the only one mentioned who knows how to find this forum.

I think one of them is also gonna be on Grand.

Very true, I know folks who have moved to the LES because they can't afford Wburg anymore. But I think businesses can still get 5-10 year leases round here (away from Bedford strip) which I think is pretty impossible in Manhattan these days. If you can lock in something like that it makes sense on paper... but shit like clouds and a slight breeze keeps the hipsters away round these parts! This must be factored into your weekly take. Brunch is the biggest money earner round here zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz GTFOHWTBS

Getting back to the original issue, is it really worth a 10-year commitment off bedford to save maybe a few hundred on rent? And I want to know who these established dealers are! ok enough gossip...

I always recommend people to Academy Brooklyn, but with the exception of city dwellers and folks in for a long stay most folks say they don't have time to go to Brooklyn. Given the state of the business tourism plays such a large part I am personally very glad I decided to set up in Manhattan... although I did kind of luck out with my space. Other comparable rents in the area were

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Seems to be a big trend in Philly too. Old record stores are dying off and a new breed is emerging where they know that Breakwater LPs are worth a damn.

Seems to be a big trend in Philly too. Old record stores are dying off and a new breed is emerging where they know that Breakwater LPs are worth a damn.

i call these "stores i never shop at"...

I hear you but I am glad to see that record stores aren't all dead in the water as a concept. This said, I heard there's been a few closings in the East Bay: Saturn, dead? DBA Brown, dead?

God forbid a store should want real money for their records...

Reminds me of the euro and japanese dudes who appear genuinely shocked that you want $30 for a 12"

Reminds me of the euro and japanese dudes who appear genuinely shocked that you want $30 for a 12"

Don't get me started on the "I don't pay more than $10 for anything" crowd.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I hear you but I am glad to see that record stores aren't all dead in the water as a concept. This said, I heard there's been a few closings in the East Bay: Saturn, dead? DBA Brown, dead?

Saturn is dead? If it's true it's news to me. I stopped shopping there when clerks started giving me the bitter record dude attitude. That, plus I no longer live around the corner from it.

hey, you've got your game and i've got mine... yours is selling records for more money then i'd pay, that's fine... i respect that other people will pay and i wish you the best (just as when i sell a record on ebay, i hope for a high price...)

mine is buying records on the cheap... (like the copy of Stand! by Harvey Averne i bought for 10 cents at the W'Burg record fair thingy on saturday... along with some dope canadian garage, and some nice glam rock (i love the "UK" label...) at the same price). Nothing like cutting out the middleman...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

At this point in my life, the time that would be spent digging is at more of a premium than the money. Give me a boutique store anyday.

hey, you've got your game and i've got mine... yours is selling records for more money then i'd pay, that's fine... i respect that other people will pay and i wish you the best (just as when i sell a record on ebay, i hope for a high price...)

mine is buying records on the cheap... (like the copy of Stand! by Harvey Averne i bought for 10 cents at the W'Burg record fair thingy on saturday... along with some dope canadian garage, and some nice glam rock (i love the "UK" label...) at the same price). Nothing like cutting out the middleman...

If by middleman you mean me... well shit.

I likewise wish you the best in your quest to spend as little as possible on records but what I do here is a lot more than just mark up the price. Plaese to stop disrespecfellating.

If by middleman you mean me... well shit.

I likewise wish you the best in your quest to spend as little as possible on records but what I do here is a lot more than just mark up the price. Plaese to stop disrespecfellating.

fair enough. running a record store is indeed a shitload of often thankless work...

which begs the question why people are opening so many in w'burg presently?

At this point in my life, the time that would be spent digging is at more of a premium than the money. Give me a boutique store anyday.

TRUTH.

But it does occur to me the ">$10 digger" might be doing it as a challenge. Like playing "Resident Evil 4" but only using your knife.