Books on Religion Recommendations (NRR)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Before i get back to work, i wanted to ask if anyone can recommend good books for me to read that are religion based? maybe a wide topic i know this but ive been more and more interested in christianity and catholicism since i got married. though i guess ive always been interested but never did much about it until recently.okay dont laugh, but the wife got me a somewhat idiots guide to religions called the Handy Religion Answer Book. its a PAGE TURNER! haha... no really ive quite enjoyed it so far. small bits of info on what scriptures are? what is theology? what is fundamentalism? what does the term zionism mean? just everything. its a big ass book. shit will take me a year to read im sure. though what its doing is giving me a way to learn about religion. something that ive never had in my life and something i pretty much figured id never be a part of. neither of my parents are religious (moms a lutheran dads a catholic but the only time they go to church is for weddings and funeral. sometimes not even then. so religion was never a big part of my life though ive always been curious about it. it wasnt until the history channel and the rest of those type stations that i really got into it (besides for a few years in the late 80s/early 90s i immersed myself into the new world order/order of the light/illuminati stuff). religion, all religions facinate me. i dont know why but most likely because its based on beliefs that i dont share and i dont quite understand.... but i really want to. ive even been looking into going back to college to study religion for fun. hahaha... fun. really though, im trying to convince myself to go back (im not very "school"ish. great grades but was bored cause classes moved to slow). so ive been learning a lot about catholics, jesus, john the baptist, etc. still so much to learn but thats whats always on the tube so thats what ive been watching and what ive been reading about. what i learned about the jewish religion ive read on soulstrut (dont be scared) and what ive asked homies who are. other than that i dont know anything.to make a long story short (too late), im interested in taking suggestions on books i can check out that you have read or have heard good things about. i wont be buying them all but i would like to get a better idea of what others are reading before i just read recommendations from people who, well, arent really like me. not saying that strutters have anything in common whatsoever but i know yall and i know what a lot of you are like personally and on the board so i trust yall. thanks.(this is what happens when you smoke a lot... holler at my sidehustle when in need... )

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not exactly about Christianity, but highly recommended:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Justin,

It looks like you are focusing on Christianity, but these are excellent books on Zen Buddhism in Japan.

"Zen and Japanese Culture" by D.T. Suzuki:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0691017...glance&n=283155

Suzuki's "An Introduction to Zen Buddhism" is also very well written and informative:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802130550/ref=pd_bxgy_text_b/104-5634912-2758351?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I read Suzuki's Zen and Japanese Culture in a Zen Buddhism course in college and critiqued a lot of Suzuki's arguments in my senior thesis paper on Zen Buddhism in Japanese history. I could recommend many other books dealing with Japanese religion if you are interested.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Not exactly about Christianity, but highly recommended:

Great book Faux.

• takotako 50 Posts
    Mishkat al Anwar
    (the niche for the light)
    by al-Ghazali

its kinda difficult to read but i recommend anything al-ghazali has written
    also:
    Alchemy for happiness

qoute:
    the mere physicist is like an ant who, crawling on a sheet of paper and observing black letters spreading over it, should refer the cause to the pen alone.

Man has been truly termed a microcosm or little world in himself and the structure of his body should be studied not only by those who wish to become doctors, but by those who wish to attain to a more intimate knowledge of god just as close study of the niceties and shades of language in a great poem reveals to us more and more of the genius of the author.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Any of Allan Watt's or Joseph Campbell's writings on religion are good.

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts

Co-sign on Mere Christianity. I'd recommend these two by Marcus Borg:

and

I read the first one in college and (suprisingly) really enjoyed it. Both were, and still are, eye-opening...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    cool! i was doing a quick check in before starting dinner. thanks for the posts yall....

i saw that mere christianity too but havent bought anything yet. like i said i like recommendations.

and yes i have focused on christianity but its mostly because thats what i always saw on tv and in the books here at our house. id like to start bouncing around some other religions so i can get a good understanding of those faiths and the comparisons/differences to what ive learned so far about those crazy christians.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    what's up hommie? man, this is a geek of mines. religions. i learn most my knowledge by talking to folks cuz i really dont like books and for some reason it seems more personal when someone's telling me some shit and i like it when religion is a personal thing. with that said, id recommend looking into biblical hermeneutics. its somewhat interesting to hear the varying ways what people think the bible says. its basically a bunch of old nerdy dudes arguing about the interpretation. i never got too far except to marvel at the fact that folks actually write really big books on the subject.

paradise lost by milton is interesting. again, i never got throught the whole thing, but milton's book is really the source of lucifer or satan or the devil. nowhere in the bible does it mention anything about satan. people just kinda accepted that there's a devil even though a dude that hasnt been dead that long created the story.

ive read bits and pieces of the tanakh which is like the jewish bible. i think. i had no idea what was going on.

ive read a buttload on shingon buddhism.

its all relatively dry reading, this religious stuff. like i said, it really brings it to life when an actual person is telling you this stuff cuz a lot of the books are old and they talk all funny and its hard to understand.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Mahabharata translated into novel form (Hindu epic, )

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh yeah! rasta. i read a lil about that too. its pretty interesting cuz its what they call a syncretic religion because it kinda fuses a few different belief systems into one. youll find this a lot among cultures that were enslaved and forced into christianity. although it kinda sucks to have a belief system forced on you, it did create quite a few interesting belief systems. i mean, most denominations in america are more or less syncretic christianity. catholicism and orthodox "fill in the blank" try and adhere to the old traditional ways. theyre interesting as well.

anyways, i could go on, but im boring myself. wussup on idol? i mean, what the fuck? i love karaoke but that yamo b there michael mcdonalds mofo is a finalist? i dont get it

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    paging breakself...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Mahabharata translated into novel form (Hindu epic, )

The whole Mahabharata? That's quite an endeavor, it being the third longest epic poem in the world! I'd recommend starting with the Bhagavad Gita and a companion guide, and then assessing how much you resonate with the message.

I'd also like to co-sign Big Chan. D.T. Suzuki's work on Japanese Zen is some of the best. I would, however, suggest reading a general introduction to Buddhist thought and practice before checking out Suzuki.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I read an AMAZING translation where the dude formed a novel out of it, instead of the verses. It was not only well done, but a great read and he did a GREAT job of forming a book out of it, instead of an epic poem. But I don't know the author.

paging breakself...

Whoa, that was weird. I was considering writing a really lengthy reply to jinx's question, but it just involves too many different angles, you know? People come to religion for such incredibly diverse reasons that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving advice on the subject without fully understanding what jinx is looking for. So, I'm left to comment on other people's recommendations...which is even less effectual.

Jinx- if you ever want to build on the matter once I come out to S.F., just let me know. It's one of my favorite things to do.

I read an AMAZING translation where the dude formed a novel out of it, instead of the verses. It was not only well done, but a great read and he did a GREAT job of forming a book out of it, instead of an epic poem. But I don't know the author.

That sounds pretty incredible. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that, as I've never ventured an attempt at the original.

On a side note, the longest poem ever written is the Tibetan epic of King Gesar, which is well over a thousand VOLUMES!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've read a few. I highly recommend a book who's name I can't remember. Fortunately I am sure someone here will come up with the author and title.

The author is an ex-nun. The book is a history of the there monotheistic religions. It is mostly about modernity. You will learn about all the major branches of Christianity and where, how and why the developed. Likewise for Islam, and Judaism. Thick book but well written, authoritative and readable.

I read a book called "The Jews Gift To The World". The same guy wrote a book called How The Irish Saved The World and other religious books. Avoid them.

I have the Koran which I am looking forward to reading soon. You can get a copy free from the Islam version of the Gideons.

I also want to read the Gnostic Bibles.

I have heard an ex-monk talk named John Dominic Crossan. He writes biblical histories. I am looking forward to reading some of his books.

I just read a great book about religion called Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

I am currently struggling with The Fabric Of The Universe. Not exactly religious, though it covers some of the same questions. The next book I read will be very light.

If you have not read the Old and New Testaments I suggest starting there. They are poorly written, but the stories are great.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Haven't read it, but I like this guy's other books and heard that this is very good as well: What Jesus Meant - Garry Wills

Here's a short review:

From Booklist
    From the foreword's critique of the initials WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?) and politicians who claim to be guided by the slogan, Wills' explication of the canonical expressions of Jesus may seem to merit the publicity pitch that the book is a pre-midterm-elections volley in the politico-religious theater of the culture wars. It is much better than such touting suggests. For instance, instead of co-opting the Christian Right-associated WWJD for liberals, Wills directs us to such things as 12-year-old Jesus sneaking off to palaver at the temple without telling his parents, and grown-up Jesus telling others to hate their parents and asserting "I am the truth." This is scandalous behavior in a person, comprehensible only of "a divine mystery walking among men," Wills says. Looking more closely at Jesus' words and deeds, Wills says we find God with us in them, and an inescapably egalitarian message of love. Jesus establishes no institutions and endorses no political structure or leader. Indeed, he rails against religious hierarchy in the harshest terms, and he utterly divorces religion from politics. Yes, he preaches justice, but beyond justice, he preaches the personal acceptance and security of love. Wills' dissent from certain pro-clerical and exclusivist statements Benedict XVI has made assure him the continued opprobrium of institutional church hardliners, but his portrayal of Jesus the radical is so profoundly familiar as to be irrefutable. Ray Olson

I've also heard this woman interviewed and it's very interesting on the works that were not included in the Bible and why.

Here's a review from Amazon.com

Amazon.com
    Gnosticism's Christian form grew to prominence in the 2nd century A.D. Ultimately denounced as heretical by the early church, Gnosticism proposed a revealed knowledge of God ("gnosis" meaning "knowledge" in Greek), held as a secret tradition of the apostles. In The Gnostic Gospels, author Elaine Pagels suggests that Christianity could have developed quite differently if Gnostic texts had become part of the Christian canon. Without a doubt: Gnosticism celebrates God as both Mother and Father, shows a very human Jesus's relationship to Mary Magdalene, suggests the Resurrection is better understood symbolically, and speaks to self-knowledge as the route to union with God. Pagels argues that Christian orthodoxy grew out of the political considerations of the day, serving to legitimize and consolidate early church leadership. Her contrast of that developing orthodoxy with Gnostic teachings presents an intriguing trajectory on a world faith as it "might have become." The Gnostic Gospels provides engaging reading for those seeking a broader perspective on the early development of Christianity. --F. Hall

Also Justin, if you want to just listen to some authors here's a really interesting one I heard on NPR last week. It's by two archeologists who have looked into moments in the Bible. Many people use to and still do take the Bible as historical fact. From their investigation they've found that most events can't not be proved historically, and that the Bible is more important as symbolism. Some things they discuss is that there is no historical proof/record for the following: a plague hitting Egypt as portrayed in the story of Moses, the Jews under Moses fleeing Egypt, a huge and vast Jewish state run by David after Moses died and the Jews finally made it to Israel, etc.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5401536

Here's another good interview with a Theologian who goes over some of those early Gospels and gnostic texts:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1551896

Here's the inteview with Elaine Pagels:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1286543

This book on the newly translated Gospel of Judas is also suppose to be good:

Also Justin, if you want to just listen to some authors here's a really interesting one I heard on NPR last week. It's by two archeologists who have looked into moments in the Bible. Many people use to and still do take the Bible as historical fact. From their investigation they've found that most events can't not be proved historically, and that the Bible is more important as symbolism. Some things they discuss is that there is no historical proof/record for the following: a plague hitting Egypt as portrayed in the story of Moses, the Jews under Moses fleeing Egypt, a huge and vast Jewish state run by David after Moses died and the Jews finally made it to Israel, etc.

I think people trying to disprove the Bible through archeology are as foolish as those who try to prove the Bible through archeology.

I think historians like John Dominic Crossan who try to understand the Bible through archeology is far more interesting.

I think people trying to disprove the Bible through archeology are as foolish as those who try to prove the Bible through archeology.

I think historians like John Dominic Crossan who try to understand the Bible through archeology is far more interesting.

From their interview they weren't trying to disprove the Bible. They were looking to see what could be proved and what couldn't.

In the end, you can listen to the interview and see what you think.

From their interview they weren't trying to disprove the Bible. They were looking to see what could be proved and what couldn't.

In the end, you can listen to the interview and see what you think.

Larry,

Here's a review of their book:

From Booklist
    As Finkelstein and Silberman cite, the figure of David (shepherd, warrior, and divinely protected king) and of his son, Solomon (a great builder, wise judge, and serene ruler of a vast empire) have become timeless models of righteous leadership and God's sanction. They contend that the archaeological discoveries of recent decades have shown "how far from the glamorous scriptural portraits the actual world of David and Solomon was." They also posit that many of the famous episodes in the biblical story are highly exaggerated. Although it seems possible that David and Solomon were actual historical characters, they were very different from their scriptural portraits. Finkelstein and Silberman offer evidence that it is unlikely that David ever conquered land more than two days' march from the heartland of Judah and that Solomon's Jerusalem was "neither extensive nor impressive." Their point is to show how the legends of David and Solomon developed and how they came to guide Western thinking and shape Western religious and political traditions in important ways. George Cohen

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

Basic comparison of major monotheistic religions

Selection of sacred writings from several religions

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James is the classic survey of spirituality and religion. I still have my copy from college, I can send it to you.

I've read a few. I highly recommend a book who's name I can't remember. Fortunately I am sure someone here will come up with the author and title.

Thank you ladyday.

The Battle For God by Karen Armstrong. Can't recommend her enough. If you want to understand the 3 monotheistic religions and fundamentalism from a historic perspective this book has all you need to know. Armstrong has the knowledge, the research and the writing chops.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    all three totally essential