Books on Religion Recommendations (NRR)

2»

Comments

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

Basic comparison of major monotheistic religions

This is what I was going to suggest. Have had nothing but reccomendations for this. Apparently really well written and easy to understand account of the major religions. It's on my to read pile, haven't got round to starting it yet.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A good general one is Be Here Now, by Richard Alpert. He was Timothy Leary's collaborator in the LSD experiments but whereas Leary became a media icon and counter-culture figurehead, Alpert was lower-key and explored personal consciousness and divinity. His spiritual journey was pretty freaky but it's a great book and very thought provoking on the subject of religion vs personal spirituality.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Book Description
    Dr. Stanley has written an easy-to-use companion to many aspects of the Christian journey, such as questions about church concerns, daily living, doctrine, end times, personal growth, relationships, and spiritual disciplines. This is a practical resource to living the Christian life - from one of America's most respected Bible teachers.

Check it out. Easy to read and he breaks things down into topics.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Any of Joseph Campbell's writings are good.

Armstrong has the knowledge, the research and the writing chops.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Co-sign on Mere Christianity. I'd recommend these two by Marcus Borg:

and

I read the first one in college and (suprisingly) really enjoyed it. Both were, and still are, eye-opening...

Co-sign on Borg. He is one of the more important Catholic authors in the liberal theological tradition to emerge for quite a while IMO.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    saw this guy on Charlie Rose...interesting perspective.

Daniel Dennett.