fusion jazz recommendations?

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Just looking for some new listening. I really dig the keyboard sounds on "Live-Evil" by Miles Davis.. I really dig that electric sound.. anyone want to put me up on any of that please? By whoever..

Comments

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Other people will be able to toss out the raers like it ain't no thing--but heres some commons to start you off:
    (BTW, keith jarrett plays keys on Live-Evil)

Miles Davis--
    Filles De Killamanjaro, Miles in the Sky, Bitches Brew, IN a silent way, live @filmore, black beauty, jack johnson, dark magus, agharta, pangea, a lot more...

Larry Coryell--
    Spaces, eleventh house

Gary Burton--
    Lofty Fake Anagram, Duster, gary burton & keith jarett (just got this, it's pretty nice)

Joe Henderson--
    Black is the color, in pursuit of blackness

Freddie Hubbard--
    Red Clay, Straight Life

Herbie Hancock--
    Mwandishi, crossings, headhunters, thrust, sextant

George Duke--
    The Aura Will prevail, Faces in reflection

John Abercrombie--
    Gateway, Timeless

STARK REALITY

Joe Zawinul--
    Zawinul, Weather Report, I sing the body electric, mysterious traveller, sweetnighter

Well, I may come back to this thread later, but those are a bunch of obvious ones off the top of the head.

PEACE
    GNZ

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Bitches Brew...

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Oh shit, just remembered. You should check out the kozmigroov site.

http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov.html

great resource.

Let's hear it for fender rhodes w/ring modulator!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    ill. thank you! got a lot of that covered, except for a few.. this site is pretty interesting. looks like I know more than I though ha..

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    There are a lot of nasty nuggets out there.

Just from Miles' players... The two eddie henderson LPs on capricorn are slam dunks. Julian Priester "love, love" on ECM (trust me). Wayne shorter "odyssey of iskra" on blue note, Donald Byrd "ethiopian knights", "electric bird" and "kofi". These are all cheapish. Frank Foster "loud minority". Sun-ra "lanquidity" (just get the re-ish). You'd probably like richard landry on chatham square, all the steve reid LPs on mustivec, charles tyler on ak-ba. Charles Rouse "two is one" on strata-east.

Then go overseas. There's so much out there. Really ... always learning.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Eddie Henderson - Realization on Capricorn

Agreed with the George Duke's on MPS

Funk Factory Lp - main dude is Michael Urbaniak (sp?)

Weather Report - Sweetnighter

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Co-Sign on the Eleventh House, I just picked up the first couple and they are super rugged.

Let me add another common burner:

Atmospheres - Voyage to Uranus - Capitol 1974 [/b]

sick rhythm section, "out there" soloing.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Let's hear it for fender rhodes w/ring modulator!

+ add the crazy wahwah and echoplex. Stand up tall, Hancock and Zawinul. RAH!

Speaking of keyboard players and getting back on topic - I really dig these two:

Bayet?? - Worlds Around The Sun [Prestige, 1972]
    Bayet?? - Seeking Other Beauty [Prestige, 1973]

Original and soulful psych-jazz-rock perfect for puffing on a cloud or jumping around like a spastic.

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts

Then go overseas. There's so much out there. Really ... always learning.

Fusion Jazz = Mid 70s EURO private pressings/small label pressings

it really means the same !!

But start with the classics mentioned above, just so good music ...

Seb

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Herbie Hancock--

You'll find Bennie Maupin on a lot of these LPs, as well as the Eddie Henderson LPs from the time. He has several solo LPs(Traffic to the Right/Moonscapes/and something about a Lotus on ECM I believe)well worth tracking down.

Also, add to Herbie's list: Secrets, Man-Child, Flood(Japan only Columbia 2LP live release with the Headhunters band) and the Headhunters group LPs

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Herbie Hancock--

You'll find Bennie Maupin on a lot of these LPs, as well as the Eddie Henderson LPs from the time. He has several solo LPs(Traffic to the Right/Moonscapes/and something about a Lotus on ECM I believe)well worth tracking down.

Also, add to Herbie's list: Secrets, Man-Child, Flood(Japan only Columbia 2LP live release with the Headhunters band) and the Headhunters group LPs

yes the sextant was pretty much all on the eddie henderson albums and that bennie album jewel in the lotus (which i have one to trade if anyone is interested)

also add herbie's lp dedication to that list, japanese only, half is solo piano, the otherside is herbie alone with just crazy synths, kinda early techno

might want to also look for paul jackson's black octopus as well i remember that having a lot of the same line up as well, japanese only

• That is one dope Moondog pic u've got there.

might want to also look for paul jackson's black octopus as well i remember that having a lot of the same line up as well, japanese only

Yeah, I love that LP, but i't more club/dance oriented than some of the above mentioned stuff. Did that ever get a reish on vinyl? I found a used CD of it a few years back.

Yeah, I love that LP, but i't more club/dance oriented than some of the above mentioned stuff. Did that ever get a reish on vinyl? I found a used CD of it a few years back.

i don't think it ever did get the reish treatment, but i have one to trade if anyone has some jazz heat

i don't think it ever did get the reish treatment, but i have one to trade if anyone has some jazz heat

Will you take a quad copy of Herbie's "Thrust" for it?

Albums like "black octopus" don't sound like late 60s / early 70s Miles... it's very straight-up late 70s funk. If we're talking about Miles' arrangements around that time, there's not a whole lot out there with that evil sound. His organization and arrangements were unusual for the time. But if we're talking about a lot of electric instruments that's kind of funky, there's a lot more, and kosmigroove is a good site to start at. But it's a pet peeve of mine when people create genre names to describe music they like. What does stark reality have to do with idris muhammad? In sound, history, etc.... just about nothing.

Will you take a quad copy of Herbie's "Thrust" for it?

what do i look like

Albums like "black octopus" don't sound like late 60s / early 70s Miles...

yo i just said it had the same line up, sorry

Albums like "black octopus" don't sound like late 60s / early 70s Miles...

yo i just said it had the same line up, sorry

Naw I didn't mean it like that. doud might really like it. I just think it's an over-hyped & pretty slick fusion.

Naw I didn't mean it like that. doud might really like it. I just think it's an over-hyped & pretty slick fusion.

"Dude I am trying to get my trade on."[/b]

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Awesome, really digging Julian Priester's "Love, Love." And speaking of Michael Urbaniak, I don't know how extensive his catalogue is, but Ive got his three "Fusion" releases that I really dig.

All the recommendations have been kick ass so far

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Speaking of keyboard players and getting back on topic - I really dig these two:

Bayet?? - Worlds Around The Sun [Prestige, 1972]
    Bayet?? - Seeking Other Beauty [Prestige, 1973]

Original and soulful psych-jazz-rock perfect for puffing on a cloud or jumping around like a spastic.

CO-SIGN[/b]

Recently heard these, rillll nice.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Steve Kuhn - Live in New York
    Steve Kuhn - Trance
    Hysear Don Walker
    Ahmad Jamal - Jamal Plays Jamal, '74, Jamalca, etc.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Just to add on:

-"Water Babies"-Miles Davis.

-"Turn it Over"-Tony Williams and Lifetime.

-"The Leprechaun"-Chick Corea.

-"School Days"-Stanley Clarke.

-cosign on Eddie Henderson, Herbie Hancock, George Duke, and Gary Burton.

-"Venusian Summer"-Lenny White.

-"Romantic Warrior"-Return to Forever.

-that David Sancious LP with the song "About You" on it (I'm serious blanking on the title, but I enjoy this one) recorded on an indie label out of VA (I think).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-"School Days"-Stanley Clarke.

Actually, I would like to add on Stanley Clarke's "Children of Forever" to this list...Andy Bey, Dee Dee Bridgewater and other fusion jazz luminaries get spiritual on this debut LP. Highly recommended and usually cheap.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Recommended: Ian Carr's NUCLEUS !!!
    I really like most of the stuff they did from 1970- 77... They have this funk groove that kind of comes back and at some point runs through (nearly) every album...

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Apologies if someone already mentioned him and I missed it, but I really like some Gary Bartz albums.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

-that David Sancious LP with the song "About You" on it (I'm serious blanking on the title, but I enjoy this one) recorded on an indie label out of VA (I think).

Actually, that David Sancious LP is self-titled. It is not on an indie label from VA (Chelsea, 1976) but was recorded in Richmond, VA. Oh yeah, cosign on the Larry Coryell (I really like "Spaces"), Weather Report mentions (childhood fan), Freddie Hubbard, and John Abercrombie mentions. I'd like to add on "Total Eclipse" and "Magic" by Billy Cobham.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I really dig the keyboard sounds on "Live-Evil" by Miles Davis.. I really dig that electric sound.

Hey, I just remembered, if you like Live-Evil period Miles, you should definetely check this one out:

It's a killer album from 98, where bass legend Bill Laswell (respect!) took selected Miles session tapes from 69-74 and gave them a new mixdown. It's done extremely well and Laswell has emphasized the groove and minimized the chaotic elements, while staying true to the feel of the original mixes. There are two unreleased tracks on it as well, and both are grade A electric Miles.

The above image is from the CD-version. I have the double vinyl and it has a different cover. It might be harder to track down the vinyl, 'cause I think it was only pressed in a limited amount of copies.

Highly recommended.

NB: I think there's another "Panthalassa" which is more of a traditional remix concept, with people like DJ Krush re-interpreting Miles. Haven't heard that one though.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Just looking for some new listening. I really dig the keyboard sounds on "Live-Evil" by Miles Davis.. I really dig that electric sound.. anyone want to put me up on any of that please? By whoever..

You might wanna plug into the SOFT MACHINE, english progressive instrumental... really dig their stuff too, their keyboard sound is real dope, heavy on rhodes, and they have this fuzzy/acid sounding organ also, funkybassline grooves and very off-beat-ish tracks... dodudodudodudodudope!
    If you want, I can post additional info on the NUCLEUS or SOFTMACHINE albums...
    peace-