unexpected racism in the hood

coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
we decided/neeeded to sell our houseit went on the market sunday,a very nice hispanic couple with two elementary school age kidscame to the open house, made an offer the next day& accepted our counter offer the following dayperfectgreat & easycool to pass on our home that the family has loved for 6 yearsto another familynot a greedy builder who would knock it down & build 2 million $ mcmansions on the lot,etcbutwaitnext door's bleeding heart liberal, harvard educated nut jobis freaking"those people will play loud marachi music all the time &park pick up trucks in the driveway" ?!? *"now i'll have to sell my house & move" *this coming from someone who for years has said she volunteers to tutor for immigrants & knows the home country of each grocery store workeri guess that's all cool unless they want to move in next doorthenthe african american lady who moved in 2 doors down a few years backfound out & said "those people will lower the property values" *& "rent every square foot out to other illegals" *what the fuck !!!any mixed feelings about leaving the area are now gonewhat would they like us to do, break federal, state & local laws alongwith my own sense of fairness & rights i almost expect some people on the street would freak,but these dem-liberal-christians are revealing their true selfswhat would you do ?i'm at a loss as to how to react to these neighbors * - actual mofo quotesalso heard, "well, maybe i can hire them to do my yard work"like day laborers have the credit & coin to buy a house in our hoodpeople, they can be the worse !

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I would take a shit on all of your neighbor???s doorsteps and write a little note asking how much they estimate it lowered their property value. I hope you point out to them how hypocritical they are and that if you had your way you would sell the house to some white mild mannered serial killer.

My fianc?? and I just bought a house on a street where we are the only white people, and everyone has been very nice. Well a few people stair at us as they drive by, and the church lady next door looked like she saw a ghost when she found out we weren???t married yet. But all in all people have been really nice. I am sure if things had been reversed and we were black and moving into an all white neighborhood people would not be treating us nearly as well.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    welcome to your people (and by that I mean black & white folks). It's really amazing what you hear coming out of people's mouths when they think you're "like-minded." Being a black jew has made for some interesting obsevations from people who don't know I'm jewish in person and worse when they talk to me over the phone and don't realise I'm black (I tend to tuck my slanguage during my J.O.).

Congrats on selling your house though. You should introduce your buyers to their new neighbors and quote their words during the intros!!!!!

• Options
    I would take a shit on all of your neighbor???s doorsteps and write a little note asking how much they estimate it lowered their property value.

I would suggest doing so in a bucket - maybe add some piss and leave it leaned against their front door...maybe a knock or 2 might help. Heard it makes a great stain.

K.

welcome to your people (and by that I mean black & white folks). It's really amazing what you hear coming out of people's mouths when they think you're "like-minded." Being a black jew has made for some interesting obsevations from people who don't know I'm jewish in person and worse when they talk to me over the phone and don't realise I'm black (I tend to tuck my slanguage during my J.O.).

Congrats on selling your house though. You should introduce your buyers to their new neighbors and quote their words during the intros!!!!!

lol, "this is john and he is really hoping you can get his hedges under control" and this is his wife Nancy, "she hopes you keep the cars in the yard to a minimum."

• Options

lol, "this is john and he is really hoping you can get his hedges under control" and this is his wife Nancy, "she hopes you keep the cars and illegals[/b]in the yard to a minimum."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

do the neighbours have kids? that would be depressing...unless the kids are smarter than the parents.

kids are smarter than the parents.

Kids start out this way, but sadly the parents tend to run them down.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

lol, "this is john and he is really hoping you can get his hedges under control" and this is his wife Nancy, "she hopes you keep the cars and illegals[/b]in the yard to a minimum."

i'm saying,

with people shook about the market dropping out here,
    being able to sell the day it opens is
    selling to real people instead of some sleeze, even better

i know people think dumb shit like what john & nancy said (above)
    but i guess i thought they were smarter than to say it out loud
    for the record
    all of this was said to my wife (who was SHOCKED)
    i'm waiting for some dumbass to say something to me

thanx for the congrats !

kids are smarter than the parents.

Kids start out this way, but sadly the parents tend to run them down.

ain't that the truth, but there is always hope in the teen years...here's hoping.

do the neighbours have kids? that would be depressing...unless the kids are smarter than the parents.

same age as mine, 18 & off to college
    they went to different high schools, my daughter went to
    the local public, 50%+ minority, 60%+ on subsidized lunch,
    also an international baccalaureate program, small class size &
    chance to compete on varsity level sports all 4 years
    (the well to do west county highs have 200% more kids trying out for sports)
    the school is so kick ass it was featured with a cover story in National Geographic a few years back

but i think the kid next door is smarter than her mom
    so she'll be alright

same age as mine, 18 & off to college
    they went to different high schools, my daughter went to
    the local public, 50%+ minority, 60%+ on subsidized lunch,
    also an international baccalaureate program, small class size &
    chance to compete on varsity level sports all 4 years
    (the well to do west county highs have 200% more kids trying out for sports)
    the school is so kick ass it was featured with a cover story in National Geographic a few years back

but i think the kid next door is smarter than her mom
    so she'll be alright

nice - sounds/reads like a good place.

as i grow older, i realize how much i took going to diverse schools for granted and how valuable it was/is. i worked with someone in her 20s a few years ago who never met Jewish, Muslim and East Indian folks til she left home and went to university. that's quite a bubble!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude,

My mind is completely blown...not because people like the white and black homeowners would think what they think - I mean, that's nothing new - but that they'd be stupid enough to share those thoughts in mixed company. I guess they must really like you.

A question and a comment:

1) What neighborhood do you live in?

2) This isn't my business, but if these mofos are so fucking brazen as to say this shit in your face, try putting them in check. You don't have to shit on their doorstep, but merely point out that they're relying on incredibly racist and stereotypical assumptions and that you are shocked that you were living next to such intolerant people. Then you can watch them stammer, say, "I'm not being racist...but..." while you wave them off with a "whatever, motherfuckers" and be like, "man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this neighborhood with people like you around."

Whether you change their minds or not is besides the point: but at least making them think, for a split second, is at least a step in the right direction. Confronting racism, even on simple terms as naming it for what it is (as you've done here) is one crucial step to defeating it.

3) Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you should copy this post, put it on a flier, and then drop off copies on every doormat up and down your block. That would generate some interesting conversations, to say the least.

we decided/neeeded to sell our house
    it went on the market sunday,
    a very nice hispanic couple with two elementary school age kids
    came to the open house, made an offer the next day
    & accepted our counter offer the following day
    perfect
    great & easy
    cool to pass on our home that the family has loved for 6 years
    to another family
    not a greedy builder who would knock it down
    & build 2 million $ mcmansions on the lot,etc
    but
    wait
    next door's bleeding heart liberal, harvard educated nut job
    is freaking
    "those people will play loud marachi music all the time &
    park pick up trucks in the driveway" ?!? *
    "now i'll have to sell my house & move" *
    this coming from someone who for years has said
    she volunteers to tutor for immigrants
    & knows the home country of each grocery store worker
    i guess that's all cool unless they want to move in next door
    then
    the african american lady who moved in 2 doors down a few years back
    found out & said "those people will lower the property values" *
    & "rent every square foot out to other illegals" *

what the fuck !!!

any mixed feelings about leaving the area are now gone

what would they like us to do, break federal, state & local laws along
    with my own sense of fairness & rights
    i almost expect some people on the street would freak,
    but these dem-liberal-christians are revealing their true selfs

what would you do ?

i'm at a loss as to how to react to these neighbors

* - actual mofo quotes
    also heard, "well, maybe i can hire them to do my yard work"
    like day laborers have the credit & coin to buy a house in our hood
    people, they can be the worse !

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yo T*m that's totally lame but I guess it isn't a surprise. Yoigotbeats - you're right about the kind of things people will say if they think "you're one of them."

Partially related: When I lived in Salt Lake City, I mentioned to my Hispanic boss that I was from North Carolina. His dead-serious response:

"I don't like it there. Everyone has broken-down cars in their yard."

Race traitor!

We thought this small patch of our lawn with no grass was where the previous owners had a garden, but it turns out they had cars parked in the yard for years. I wonder if they were from NC too.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    3) Actually, now that I think about it, maybe you should copy this post, put it on a flier, and then drop off copies on every doormat up and down your block. That would generate some interesting conversations, to say the least.

And that conversation would begin with, "Who the hell is 'coffinjoe'? What are you into, man?"

T, I'm sorry to hear that you and your wife had to put up with that, but I'm much more sorry for the nice family who bought your home. Fortunately for them, your chickenshit neighbors won't say a thing to them, but still.

[cup half-full]Congrats on selling your home so quickly! Did you buy another place? [/cup half-full]

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

"those people will lower the property values" *

I am at a loss for words in front of such horribly stupid comments

Very blatant..like you hear this in jokes but peeps actually think that..'oh shit of course the broken down car on the lawn..their name is Hernandez'

seeing from who it comes from makes it even worse

wow at least your bouncing from there

T, I'm sorry to hear that you and your wife had to put up with that, but I'm much more sorry for the nice family who bought your home. Fortunately for them, your chickenshit neighbors won't say a thing to them, but still.

Naw man - they won't have anything to say but they'll be too busy selling of their own homes so they can white/black flight to some other 'hood.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yo T*m that's totally lame but I guess it isn't a surprise. Yoigotbeats - you're right about the kind of things people will say if they think "you're one of them."

Partially related: When I lived in Salt Lake City, I mentioned to my Hispanic boss that I was from North Carolina. His dead-serious response:

Race traitor!

I have left a broken down car in the yard of the past two houses I've lived in

Dude,

My mind is completely blown...not because people like the white and black homeowners would think what they think - I mean, that's nothing new - but that they'd be stupid enough to share those thoughts in mixed company. I guess they must really like you.

i am saying

nuff pentagon, republican, out of towners, conservatives in the area that
    i might sadly expect such comments,
    but from uber liberals who act all nicey
    very surprised

A question and a comment:

1) What neighborhood do you live in?

2) This isn't my business, but if these mofos are so fucking brazen as to say this shit in your face, try putting them in check. You don't have to shit on their doorstep, but merely point out that they're relying on incredibly racist and stereotypical assumptions and that you are shocked that you were living next to such intolerant people. Then you can watch them stammer, say, "I'm not being racist...but..." while you wave them off with a "whatever, motherfuckers" and be like, "man, I'm glad I'm getting out of this neighborhood with people like you around."

Whether you change their minds or not is besides the point: but at least making them think, for a split second, is at least a step in the right direction. Confronting racism, even on simple terms as naming it for what it is (as you've done here) is one crucial step to defeating it.

1) east side of falls church virginia

2) no one has said shit to me yet & i would/will school them when they do
    otherwise, just don't want to see the flakes
    & most def don't want to leave the buyers in a bad shituation

3) this thread is helping me for sure

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Race traitor!

You lived in SLC too? Hahahaha. That place is 90 % white so most the racism comes from ignorance and TV stereotyping. Not to mention past policies of one church.

Here's my SLC story. I lived in an apartment and some crackheads (read:white) moved in next door. Before them were some methed out rednecks (is that racist?), with a hoopdee, lived in there. Anyway, we were getting sick of it so I started calling around for a new apt. I spoke with one lady about a place. I asked her if they do background checks because I was sick of all the problems in my last building, she said, "Don't worry, this is a nice complex. Only 1 non-white family." Don't know why she mentioned that so I told her, "That is good to know since I'm not white" She said, "I really stuck my foot in my mouth, didn't I?" I said yes and wished her good day.

What bothers me even more is the racism between blacks and latinos. It's like we are being pitted agains each other. Here are a few crumbs, now fight over them.

What bothers me even more is the racism between blacks and latinos. It's like we are being pitted agains each other. Here are a few crumbs, now fight over them.

You think that's bad now...wait as the Latino middle class grows at a faster pace than African Americans. What we're seeing in America right now is a potentially profound restacking of racial chips that will (once again) leave Blacks on the margins, with racialized immigrant groups (Latinos and Asians) becoming more of a demographic (and thus economic/political) force and cultural influence. All the latent racism between racial groups is just waiting to bubble on up, not to mention White people freaking out that they're soon to not be the majority anymore.

Good times!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    we decided/neeeded to sell our house
    it went on the market sunday,
    a very nice hispanic couple with two elementary school age kids
    came to the open house, made an offer the next day
    & accepted our counter offer the following day
    perfect
    great & easy
    cool to pass on our home that the family has loved for 6 years
    to another family
    not a greedy builder who would knock it down
    & build 2 million $ mcmansions on the lot,etc
    but
    wait
    next door's bleeding heart liberal, harvard educated nut job
    is freaking
    this coming from someone who for years has said
    she volunteers to tutor for immigrants
    & knows the home country of each grocery store worker
    i guess that's all cool unless they want to move in next door
    then
    the african american lady who moved in 2 doors down a few years back
    found out & said "those people will lower the property values" *

what the fuck !!!

any mixed feelings about leaving the area are now gone

what would they like us to do, break federal, state & local laws along
    with my own sense of fairness & rights
    i almost expect some people on the street would freak,
    but these dem-liberal-christians are revealing their true selfs

what would you do ?

i'm at a loss as to how to react to these neighbors

* - actual mofo quotes
    also heard, "well, maybe i can hire them to do my yard work"
    like day laborers have the credit & coin to buy a house in our hood
    people, they can be the worse !

if that isn't racism, i don't know what is.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

You think that's bad now...wait as the Latino middle class grows at a faster pace than African Americans. What we're seeing in America right now is a potentially profound restacking of racial chips that will (once again) leave Blacks on the margins, with racialized immigrant groups (Latinos and Asians) becoming more of a demographic (and thus economic/political) force and cultural influence. All the latent racism between racial groups is just waiting to bubble on up, not to mention White people freaking out that they're soon to not be the majority anymore.

Good times!

quite true and a damn shame..if you think about it groups like the greek and italian community or even jewish comm all followed a similar path and evolved.

here in montreal you can see it on how politically mobilized certain communities have grown.

• What bothers me even more is the racism between blacks and latinos. It's like we are being pitted agains each other. Here are a few crumbs, now fight over them.

Good times!

That's real talk.
    The Price of The Ticket

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Good times!

It's okay--we're all gonna move to Benettonia, where everyone gets along just fine.

Good times!

That's real talk.
    The Price of The Ticket

I actually posted that same piece a few weeks ago on Strut. I think Andre has some good points to make but I think he's being far too idealistic when he says:

"Today's immigrants will find that without Blacks, and a commitment to challenge racism beyond the reach of immigration policy alone, their movement will lose both its moral authority and the practical victory it hopes to achieve."

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I think the immigration movement can bypass the African American community entirely and still achieve "practical victory" if by that it means legislation friendly to both more open immigration standards and easier naturalization policies.

• staylestayle 21 Posts

Good times!

Is this convo morphing into immigration talk?

African-Americans got the shaft during the first wave of immigration of Europeans. In the Chicago Sun-times, Jesse Jackson, an illegal immigration advocate, wrote a piece about, well, advocating illegal immigrantion. I am posting a letter written in response, published in the Sun-times:

"During the period of mass immigration 100 years ago many black leaders, most notably Booker T. Washington, pleaded with white employers to hire native-born blacks instead of people just off the boat. Didn't happen. Employers hired immigrants instead and the immigrants gained a foot on the economic ladder while blacks were denied. Immigrants got the jobs "Americans didn't want": mining, construction, and factory work. These jobs paid little and were very dangerous. Over time, however, they were organized. Pay increased and working conditions improved. The children of the immigrants who were originally employed in such jobs got the benefits. Even today Poles, Irish and Italians are overrepresented in these fields, while blacks remain underrepresented. Blacks, instead of getting their foot in the door, were forced to stay in the segregated South. Instead of getting jobs, they were lynched, oppressed and treated like animals.

History is repeating itself. Immigrants are getting the lion's share of jobs being created. They, in Jackson's own words, "are at the center of drives to increase the minimum wage and to organize low-paid workers." They are getting their foot on the ladder to success. Blacks? We are increasingly unemployed or jailed, our children in schools that don't educate.

Jackson doesn't seem to care that the policy of open immigration he advocates harms blacks. It harmed blacks 100 years ago, and it's harming us today."

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the original post, but here are some other things to consider:

Bill permits 193 million more aliens by 2026
    By Charles Hurt
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    May 16, 2006

The Senate immigration reform bill would allow for up to 193 million new legal immigrants -- a number greater than 60 percent of the current U.S. population -- in the next 20 years, according to a study released yesterday.

"The magnitude of changes that are entailed in this bill -- and are largely unknown -- rival the impact of the creation of Social Security or the creation of the Medicare program," said Robert Rector, senior policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation who conducted the study.

Although the legislation would permit 193 million new immigrants in the next two decades, Mr. Rector estimated that it is more likely that about 103 million new immigrants actually would arrive in the next 20 years.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican who conducted a separate analysis that reached similar results, said Congress is "blissfully ignorant of the scope and impact" of the bill, which has bipartisan support in the Senate and has been praised by President Bush.

"This Senate is not ready to pass legislation that so significantly changes our future immigration policy," he said yesterday. "The impact this bill will have over the next 20 years is monumental and has not been thought through."

The 614-page "compromise" bill -- hastily cobbled together last month by Republican Sens. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Mel Martinez of Florida -- would give illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. two years or longer a right to citizenship. Illegals who have been here less than two years would have to return to their home countries to apply for citizenship.

Although that "amnesty" would be granted to about 10 million illegals, the real growth in the immigrant population would come later.

As part of the bill, the annual flow of legal immigrants allowed into the U.S. would more than double to more than 2 million annually. In addition, the guest-worker program in the bill would bring in 325,000 new workers annually who could later apply for citizenship.

That population would grow exponentially from there because the millions of new citizens would be permitted to bring along their extended families. Also, Mr. Sessions said, the bill includes "escalating caps," which would raise the number of immigrants allowed in as more people seek to enter the U.S.

"The impact of this increase in legal immigration dwarfs the magnitude of the amnesty provisions," said Mr. Rector, who has followed Congress for 25 years. He called the bill "the most dramatic piece of legislation in my experience."

Mr. Rector based his numerical projection on the number of family members that past immigrants have sponsored.

Immigration into the U.S. would become an "entitlement," Mr. Sessions said. "The decision as to who may come will almost totally be controlled by the desire of the individuals who wish to immigrate to the United States rather than by the United States government."

Although most opposition has come from conservatives, liberals are growing increasingly uneasy about increasing the competition for American jobs -- especially the low-paying ones.

Sen. Byron L. Dorgan, North Dakota Democrat, said yesterday that he would introduce an amendment to strip out the guest-worker program, warning that the legislation would "pull apart the middle class in this country."

One of the most alarming aspects of the bill, opponents say, is that it eliminates a long-standing policy of U.S. immigration law that prohibits anyone from gaining permanent status here who is considered "likely to become a public charge," meaning welfare or other government subsidy.

This change is particularly troublesome because the bill also slants legal immigration away from highly skilled and highly educated workers to the unskilled and uneducated, who are far more likely to require public assistance. In addition, adult immigrants will be permitted to bring along their parents, who would eventually be eligible for Social Security even though they had never paid into it.

Mr. Rector estimated that the eventual cost of the bill to the American taxpayer would be about $50 billion per year. Mr. Sessions said he hopes to educate his colleagues about what's in the bill before they vote on it, but there's little evidence that they're interested.

Last month, he asked the Senate Judiciary Committee to conduct an in-depth study and hold hearings into the fiscal impact of the bill as well as the impact the bill would have on future immigration. The committee produced no study and held one hearing strictly on the fiscal aspects of the bill. Only three of his fellow panel members showed up, he said.

My man - right now, immigration talk = race talk. Nothing's bigger...unless you want to argue Three 6 and Oscar talk again

• What bothers me even more is the racism between blacks and latinos. It's like we are being pitted agains each other. Here are a few crumbs, now fight over them.

Good times!

That's real talk.
    The Price of The Ticket

I actually posted that same piece a few weeks ago on Strut. I think Andre has some good points to make but I think he's being far too idealistic when he says:

"Today's immigrants will find that without Blacks, and a commitment to challenge racism beyond the reach of immigration policy alone, their movement will lose both its moral authority and the practical victory it hopes to achieve."

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I think the immigration movement can bypass the African American community entirely and still achieve "practical victory" if by that it means legislation friendly to both more open immigration standards and easier naturalization policies.

You sir, are correct. That has typically been the way it's gone down here.

• staylestayle 21 Posts

My man - right now, immigration talk = race talk. Nothing's bigger...unless you want to argue Three 6 and Oscar talk again

heh, I must have missed the Three-6 talk, wasn't me.

So, would you agree that illegal immigration > Irag war?