Dj Shadow's new album complete

13»

Comments

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    I feel you, but just read that blurb from an outsiders view that has never met dude and that line seemed kinda of arrogant, and I have no idea what NYC-Mix-CD dudes say as they dont register in my head-piece.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I wouldn't mix the zombies with TI.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    Delay,

I'm just saying homie, regardless what how one might read his website comments, dude is mega-fucking-humble, thoughtful and in general, Dude in the most Dude way (I can't believe I just wrote that).

Maybe it's a Bay Area thing but I know a lot of cats like that - Cool Chris, Justin and Josh Bea all come to mind: they're very good at what they do, whether it's hustling records, DJing, whatever - and while they believe in their own abilities and might even talk shit occassionally (*cough cough* Jinx), at the end of the day, it's extraordinarily hard to come away thinking anything but nice thoughts about them. Josh, excuse me, Shadow's "arrogance" is so teensy-weensy tiny in comparison to the average fucking NY-style mix-CD. I've known him for over ten years now and he's never been anything but cordial, warm and polite to myself and other people I've seen him interact with. In comparison, I've seen other artists act like straight up dicks in public and private and could give a fuck about it.

I couldn't agree more. Back when I was a lowly intern at Hyde Street Studios, Shadow came in a couple times to rent gear and was always down to talk music. He hipped me to the BQ in Full Effect EP which I was able to score for a mere $20 a few weeks later on eBay. Just a stand up dude.

Souls of Mischief on the other hand, Hell, even the Wolf Pack were dicks, and they barely register on people's radars now, 7 years later. And don't get me started on the rock acts that walked through that place, some of those cats were the definition of hipster arrogance.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Delay,

I'm just saying homie, regardless what how one might read his website comments, dude is mega-fucking-humble, thoughtful and in general, Dude in the most Dude way (I can't believe I just wrote that).

Maybe it's a Bay Area thing but I know a lot of cats like that - Cool Chris, Justin and Josh Bea all come to mind: they're very good at what they do, whether it's hustling records, DJing, whatever - and while they believe in their own abilities and might even talk shit occassionally (*cough cough* Jinx), at the end of the day, it's extraordinarily hard to come away thinking anything but nice thoughts about them. Josh, excuse me, Shadow's "arrogance" is so teensy-weensy tiny in comparison to the average fucking NY-style mix-CD. I've known him for over ten years now and he's never been anything but cordial, warm and polite to myself and other people I've seen him interact with. In comparison, I've seen other artists act like straight up dicks in public and private and could give a fuck about it.

I couldn't agree more. Back when I was a lowly intern at Hyde Street Studios, Shadow came in a couple times to rent gear and was always down to talk music. He hipped me to the BQ in Full Effect EP which I was able to score for a mere $20 a few weeks later on eBay. Just a stand up dude.

Souls of Mischief on the other hand, Hell, even the Wolf Pack were dicks, and they barely register on people's radars now, 7 years later. And don't get me started on the rock acts that walked through that place, some of those cats were the definition of hipster arrogance.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i don't recall delay ever saying that shadow was an asshole.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Delay,

I don't know, man--there was this one time that I was going into a wig store right behind Shadow, and he was acting all like he was gonna hold the door, so I started walking quickly, but then he didn't hold it, and I ended up having to stop awkwardly and open it myself. Dude is clearly on some superstar-DJ bullshit.

Delay,

I don't know, man--there was this one time that I was going into a wig store right behind Shadow, and he was acting all like he was gonna hold the door, so I started walking quickly, but then he
    didn't hold it, and I ended up having to stop awkwardly and open it myself. Dude is clearly on some superstar-DJ bullshit.

The real question is, horse hair or human??

• I don't know, man--there was this one time that I was going into a wig store right behind Shadow, and he was acting all like he was gonna hold the door, so I started walking quickly, but then he didn't hold it, and I ended up having to stop awkwardly and open it myself. Dude is clearly on some superstar-DJ bullshit.

THE ONLY WAY this entire scenario is true or plausible, would
    be if you are talking about a CHEST WIG SHOP, like you both
    going to shop CHEST WIG. And your all cool about it, like, hey,
    "If we link, we link, I like chest hair, what a coinky-dink."

Misreading signs though. You were thinking he was all Pull & Hold,
    meanwhile he was actually more like PUSH PUSH and one of you ended
    up getting HERBIE MANNHANDLED and I don't have to say who.

Delay,

I don't know, man--there was this one time that I was going into a wig store right behind Shadow, and he was acting all like he was gonna hold the door, so I started walking quickly, but then he
    didn't hold it, and I ended up having to stop awkwardly and open it myself. Dude is clearly on some superstar-DJ bullshit.

The real question is, horse hair or human??
    Let's just say that imitation was not a concern.

I don't know, man--there was this one time that I was going into a wig store right behind Shadow, and he was acting all like he was gonna hold the door, so I started walking quickly, but then he didn't hold it, and I ended up having to stop awkwardly and open it myself. Dude is clearly on some superstar-DJ bullshit.

THE ONLY WAY this entire scenario is true or plausible, would
    be if you are talking about a CHEST WIG SHOP, like you both
    going to shop CHEST WIG. And your all cool about it, like, hey,
    "If we link, we link, I like chest hair, what a coinky-dink."

Misreading signs though. You were thinking he was all Pull & Hold,
    meanwhile he was actually more like PUSH PUSH and one of you ended
    up getting HERBIE MANNHANDLED and I don't have to say who.
    Actually, it was the merkin spot.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Back when I was a lowly intern at Hyde Street Studios (...)

Chuck, when were you at Hyde Street? Did you intern with R*ss, (aka R*hsaan, aka Capt. Smokey)?

I don't find Shadow's comments any more arrogant than the majority of the posts on this site? Humility has never been hip-hop's strong suit, right?

Like Josh (ours, not the dude hisself) and James, I'm looking forward to hearing this thing.

Back when I was a lowly intern at Hyde Street Studios (...)

Chuck, when were you at Hyde Street? Did you intern with R*ss, (aka R*hsaan, aka Capt. Smokey)?

I don't find Shadow's comments any more arrogant than the majority of the posts on this site? Humility has never been hip-hop's strong suit, right?

Like Josh (ours, not the dude hisself) and James, I'm looking forward to hearing this thing.

I was there in late '99, early '00. It was a short lived experience, but fun while I was still able to stomach fetching coffee, scrubbing toilets, coiling XLR cords and zeroing out the Neve board for the umpteenth time. The names you mentioned don't ring a bell unfortunately, but then again, my recollection of that time is hazy at best and thus limited to *Josh* sightings and the like. I missed the landing of Parliament's Mothership that January in studio D; no doubt that session, and the copious amounts of second hand crack smoke, would have truly cleansed my memory of that place.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I was there in late '99, early '00. It was a short lived experience, but fun while I was still able to stomach fetching coffee, scrubbing toilets, coiling XLR cords and zeroing out the Neve board for the umpteenth time. The names you mentioned don't ring a bell unfortunately, but then again, my recollection of that time is hazy at best and thus limited to *Josh* sightings and the like. I missed the landing of Parliament's Mothership that January in studio D; no doubt that session, and the copious amounts of second hand crack smoke, would have truly cleansed my memory of that place.

I think Smokey's time was late '00 on. We should compare notes sometime, though. And, that Studio D Mothership hooker-fetching-second-hand-crack-smoking session earned the trade time needed for our next release. THANK YOU GEORGE!

[color:pink]
    GC: What's up with the Asian vibe, can you hook it up?
    Smokey: Ugh, you mean...
    GC: Oh yea.
    [/color]

• "it's going to make it very difficult for people to imitate my sound"

dude, you made music with other peoples records. GTFOHWTBS

Are you trying to say (good) sampling is lesser a musical art form than playing a guitar?

It'll be interestng to see where "Shadow" (I don't know him personally although I tried emailing him through his ebay ID with no response) takes his sound now. And as for the larging himself up, well if I had a quid every time a recording artist said "my/our new album is our best work yet"....... I want someone to come out and say "well actually I'm not too fond of our next release check the old gear out instead"

• I don't know him personally although I tried emailing him through his ebay ID with no response

SPILL IT

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    "it's going to make it very difficult for people to imitate my sound"

He does note some of the songs contain no samples though

as time has proven...Jermaine Dupri can easily imitate dj shadows sound, no problem.
    for that matter any skilled producer can do so....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

as time has proven...Jermaine Dupri can easily imitate dj shadows sound, no problem.

Which song(s) specifically are you referring to?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

Which song(s) specifically are you referring to?

not saying jermaine HAS imitated shadow...but look at his track record, im sure if he wanted to he could.
    dude is the king of imitation

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR = San Quinn's The Rock: Pressure Makes Diamonds

That "so young so grown" joint is my ish though.

I want to like this album. I really do. I just think it's sort of garbage. "Do That for Me" is tight and so's the opener with Ya Boy. But there's a whole lotta snoozers on there.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Shadow Listening Party Update: According to a friend of mine who works for Universal Records in London, Shadow was as good as his word, and sat in the lobby with a portable boombox previewing his new shit for around 50 or 60 fans in the ground floor lobby of the Universal offices last Friday afternoon. Security were going nuts, apparently, and not because there were a few tracks that didn't use samples...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I know I may be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the the new DJ Shadow record.
    Me too.

And please make no mistake: As with matters of Rawkus Records or ex-girlfriends, what people have to say about Shadow almost always says more about them than it does about him.

Finally someone said it.

and

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    I know I may be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the the new DJ Shadow record.
    Me too.

And please make no mistake: As with matters of Rawkus Records or ex-girlfriends, what people have to say about Shadow almost always says more about them than it does about him.

Finally someone said it.

and

yeah, but what people have to say about what people have to say about Shadow almost always says more about them than the people who have simply said something about Shadow.

don't even try to deny it

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Me too.

Finally someone said it.

and

yeah, but what people have to say about what people have to say about Shadow almost always says more about them than the people who have simply said something about Shadow.

don't even try to deny it

yeah, but what people have to say about what people have to say about what people said about Shadow almost always says more about the people that said something about the people than the people who have simply said something about Shadow.