Dj Shadow's new album complete

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ive always said how ive never been a fan of joshs music. its not a secret. ive never DUMPED on it but it really wasnt something i was ever able to get into. moments i liked but thats it.

i got to hear a track that blew me away! overall i was impressed... beyond impressed. he did some real justice to a soul acapella that i absoluetley love. the tracks on the album sound cool and im sure will bring in even a larger audience than he has currently.

anyway... thats my half-a-cent worth of talk on the subject.

is that the "joe mystrey reels" thing?

yes... if you ever came over to tell beverlie and i about your trip id let you hear it...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "it's going to make it very difficult for people to imitate my sound"

dude, you made music with other peoples records. GTFOHWTBS

He does note some of the songs contain no samples though

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    How is shadow considered arrogant for promoting his latest release as album of the year, when every other artist does similar of not the same thing with their own albums?

Aren't there 500 "Kings Of The South"? No one calls out those dudes for being "arrogant".

I won't be checking for the album because I think dude is over the hill, but I wouldn't say he's no more arrogant than any dude who has a record coming out. People here who rag on him sound like they got a taste of sour grapes.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Aren't there 500 "Kings Of The South"? No one calls out those dudes for being "arrogant".

no, Canadian. there is one.

"If you doubt me, dog, you better out me dog (no ayo)."

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    How is shadow considered arrogant for promoting his latest release as album of the year, when every other artist does similar of not the same thing with their own albums?

I won't be checking for the album because I think dude is over the hill, but I wouldn't say he's no more arrogant than any dude who has a record coming out. People here who rag on him sound like they got a taste of sour grapes.

The guys sounds arrogant to me. I still like him and I hope the new album is great....

• How is shadow considered arrogant for promoting his latest release as album of the year, when every other artist does similar of not the same thing with their own albums?

I'm sayin'
    hypocritical hattery

welcome to soulstrut where the music is secondary. Primarily we deal in ways to project feelings of ass hurt

for the record, the ever so modest TI is the king of the south, Slim Thug is the King of the trill, and Lil Jon is the king of crunk.

• for the record, the ever so modest TI is the king of the south, Slim Thug is the King of the trill, and Lil Jon is the king of crunk.

The Real King Of The Trill

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Dude's got a billboard ad on his own webpage. Whoa.

*kiss kiss* get em girls!

• for the record, the ever so modest TI is the king of the south, Slim Thug is the King of the trill, and Lil Jon is the king of crunk.

doh, I got my kings all fucked up.

Is Slim Thug claiming any monarchy or is he just an emaciated brute?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well it's only a 5/10 minute tube ride from my work so I might pop along on Friday and check out the music.

I'm just afraid of what the hipsters will do to me when they see me coming down the street in office attire.

Don't forget he is also the king of the underground(no shoulder straps)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "it's going to make it very difficult for people to imitate my sound"

dude, you made music with other peoples records. GTFOHWTBS

So Delay, if I understand what you're saying correctly, you're not actually doing anything that might be considered artistic or original here:

If that's the case, why do you bother?

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    Apples and Oranges

Apples and Oranges

Hardly. Dude, DJ Shadow has a sound. There's nothing outrageous about that statement, regardless if he uses samples or a Triton. I just don't get why Delay - who produces - is clowning another producer.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I'm slim thug.........THE BOSS! (always cracks me up)

I'm slim thug.........THE BOSS! (always cracks me up)

Pronounced 'Bouse'... don't tet

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Apples and Oranges

Hardly. Dude, DJ Shadow has a sound. There's nothing outrageous about that statement, regardless if he uses samples or a Triton. I just don't get why Delay - who produces - is clowning another producer.

I know. That statement confused me as well. By that logic Shadow and Primo have the same sound because they both use samples.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Apples and Oranges

I don't read Delay's statement as clowning Shadow. It seems like a "get over yourself, dude" jibe aimed at Shadow's attempt to tout his new style as "untouchable" by bedroom or other producers. A slick response to apparent arrogance.

• I know I may be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the the new DJ Shadow record.

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    I think the most underlying thing in this post is that people refer to Shadow as Josh.....

Yes, it's common knowledge is that his real name is Josh Davis, but it's funny some ppl refer to him by his real name like they were homies or something. i.e. "Yeah, Josh's first record was dope... but like Private Press was so-so"

Qouting Delay, that needs to GTFOHWTBS.

I think the most underlying thing in this post is that people refer to Shadow as Josh.....

Yes, it's common knowledge is that his real name is Josh Davis, but it's funny some ppl refer to him by his real name like they were homies or something. i.e. "Yeah, Josh's first record was dope... but like Private Press was so-so"

Thats an inside joke from back in the day (which I personally don't engage in)

I wouldn't say I'm excited about this album but I'm always curious what he's gonna bring to the table

In fact there's been so little new music of note lately it'd be a good time for him to drop something crazy

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

The only person who referred to dude as "Josh" in this thread was Jinx74, who knows dude personally...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I know I may be in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to hearing the the new DJ Shadow record.
    Me too.

And please make no mistake: As with matters of Rawkus Records or ex-girlfriends, what people have to say about Shadow almost always says more about them than it does about him.

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts

JesusJosh is my homeboy; he speaks to me through .

• korekore 3 Posts
    This seems like a timely story:

Lil Jon Wants To Double His Gold By Becoming King Of Rock[/b]

Could we soon be calling the King of Crunk[/b] the King of Rock[/b]? We just might be, once Lil Jon gets done with his new record, Crunk Rock.

"I'mma take it back to the first Run-DMC [album]," Lil Jon said Wednesday afternoon from Los Angeles, "[when] n---as was like, 'I'm the King of Rock.' Not the King of Rap, the King of Rock. It was hard hip-hop beats, but hard guitars [too]. I'mma take [Crunk Rock] to that."

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    This seems like a timely story:

Lil Jon Wants To Double His Gold By Becoming King Of Rock[/b]

Could we soon be calling the King of Crunk[/b] the King of Rock[/b]? We just might be, once Lil Jon gets done with his new record, Crunk Rock.

"I'mma take it back to the first Run-DMC [album]," Lil Jon said Wednesday afternoon from Los Angeles, "[when] n---as was like, 'I'm the King of Rock.' Not the King of Rap, the King of Rock. It was hard hip-hop beats, but hard guitars [too]. I'mma take [Crunk Rock] to that."

umm..."king of rock" was not the first run-dmc record.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Oliver,

I am actually really excited about this release. And yes, i make shit with samples... it's a medium. My frustration is more with how this dude is lost in his own head. What was with that DVD he produced of himself? What are you, pink floyd? That interview in "Scratch" sounds really premeditated, like he practiced it over and over in the mirror. Just make your little records and stop trying to be so damn prophetic. That's all I'm sayin. I really enjoy dudes music, And yes, he defitely has a sound that numerous people have tryed to emlulate, but that's better left known and not heard, yahmean.

I imagine with all the attention, it's probably hard to stay on the same wavelength as your peers that arent as successfull.

that's about all the thought i want to put into this.

Delay,

I'm just saying homie, regardless what how one might read his website comments, dude is mega-fucking-humble, thoughtful and in general, Dude in the most Dude way (I can't believe I just wrote that).

Maybe it's a Bay Area thing but I know a lot of cats like that - Cool Chris, Justin and Josh Bea all come to mind: they're very good at what they do, whether it's hustling records, DJing, whatever - and while they believe in their own abilities and might even talk shit occassionally (*cough cough* Jinx), at the end of the day, it's extraordinarily hard to come away thinking anything but nice thoughts about them. Josh, excuse me, Shadow's "arrogance" is so teensy-weensy tiny in comparison to the average fucking NY-style mix-CD. I've known him for over ten years now and he's never been anything but cordial, warm and polite to myself and other people I've seen him interact with. In comparison, I've seen other artists act like straight up dicks in public and private and could give a fuck about it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So Delay, if I understand what you're saying correctly, you're not actually doing anything that might be considered artistic or original here:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    it's OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC. imitation can't really be a concern. unless you put your name on my mix, i could'nt really be pissed. If you mixed the Zombies with T.I. could I say you were biting?? hell no.

Jesus. Once again, I air an opinion, and get rained on. My Bad! Sorry! Back into my little World! Can we end this conversation?