Killa Season: The Album.

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Shit is all over the Internet. Am listening now. Sounds much like "Purple Haze: The Sequel".Discuss.

Comments

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    It's basic Dipset material. A lot of sped up vocal samples, string arrangements and crazy lyrics ("would you like a tissue/why/you gon need it for the c*m in your nose..."). I am partial to the 'Get'Em Daddy' remix("but I ate those/dem sh!ts is Scooby snacks") where Cam recounts his DC carjacking episode.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I saw this cd @ my local wreka sto'. I'm a little apprehensive. Last joint I copped was Purple City.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    link?... i'm having trouble tracking the whole thing down, although i've heard a bunch of it

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Sounds much like "Purple Haze: The Sequel".

That does not sound like such a bad thing.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    End of the Dip empire, what comes up must go down.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    It's basic Dipset material. A lot of sped up vocal samples

How does one song equate to "a lot"?
    Did you actually listen to the album?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

that sounds like a GREAT thing. though I'm skeptical that the Dips could come that fresh again.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

word up. Purple haze was one of my favorite hip-hop full lengths in recent years.

but this Jay-z feud really might backfire on him

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    Haven't listened to the whole thing yet. But from the things i've read die hard dipset fans are really bashing the album.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    die hard dipset fans [/b] are really bashing the album.

as if the opinions of said group could have anything to do with reality anyway.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Correction time: by "Purple Haze: The Sequel" is simply meant that Cam sounds like he's spinning his rims on this one but hasn't gone anywhere. The production is pretty anemic throughout the CD - it's like he found a groove with "Get Em Girls" and decided to clone that over and over again.

That said, while I thought Cam was an idiot in his anti-Jay campaign, he's a fun rapper to listen to. Even when his beats are weak, his lines are rather hot.

That said, very little on this album is asking for a rewind. "I.B.S." is kind of dope though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Correction time: by "Purple Haze: The Sequel" is simply meant that Cam sounds like he's spinning his rims on this one but hasn't gone anywhere. The production is pretty anemic throughout the CD - it's like he found a groove with "Get Em Girls" and decided to clone that over and over again.

Most disappointing album to come out this year.

Cam is seriously f**king up and not doing the things that he needs to do to take his career to the next level. Album just sounds like a bunch of odds and ends that were slapped together in order to avoid pushing the release date back further, and Cam can't afford to be that lazy; it's like he's forgotten that the adulation he receives in NY is not at all representative of the apathy the rest of the country feels towards him. Half the record's been out already and two of the best previously-released tracks ("Something New" and "Do Your Thing") are replaced by inferior remixes. A huge missed opportunity. He didn't do himself any favors with that ridiculous movie, either.

Kelefa Sannah's take:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/15/arts/music/15choi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Cam'ron
    "Killa Season"
    (Asylum/Warner)

If you've never heard "Purple Haze," the 2004 CD by the Harlem rapper Cam'ron, then consider yourself lucky: you've got something to look forward to. That album, his fourth, is an unlikely hip-hop classic, full of oddball mixtape favorites and ludicrous not-quite-pop songs.

Armed with an exquisite sense of timing (no one navigates a 6/8 beat more elegantly) and a brazen lack of decency (even by hip-hop standards, his pillow talk is pretty gruff), he delivered eccentric rhymes that expanded the possibilities of New York hip-hop. "Purple Haze" was only a modest success (it sold about half a million copies), but listeners ??? and, though they might not admit it, fellow rappers ??? will be studying it for years.

Since then Cam'ron has split with his former label, Def Jam; he has tried and failed to start a feud with its president, Jay-Z; he has survived a shooting in Washington last October. And now comes "Killa Season," a rough-and-tumble new album that brings him back down to earth; it has more hard beats and hard talk than its predecessor, fewer flights of fancy.

Last time the CD booklet found him wearing a purple fur coat with a matching hat; this time his most prominent accessory is a black sling for his bullet-riddled right arm.

Make no mistake: this is still an impressive album, although it often sounds cheap enough (there are fewer lush soul samples) to be an impressive mixtape. Though the beats are sometimes dull (and the melodies sometimes nonexistent), the rhymes are always reason enough to keep listening.

In the deliriously smutty lead single, "Touch It or Not," Cam'ron delicately inquires as to his date's intentions. He gets the brushoff but continues undeterred: "Said she don't like men, I just laughed: 'Ma, if we link, we link/You don't like men? Me neither. What a co-inky-dink."

The album, which includes a handful of songs from recent mixtapes, is full of snarled taunts, threats, and semitrue crime stories. Cam'ron never apologizes for his ruthlessness, but he's not above offering clues; in "Leave You Alone," he announces, "Mother still getting high, she so damn gifted/Like she got no legs, though, she can't kick it." And disclosure doesn't get much fuller than "I.B.S.," an earnest account of his battle with irritable bowel syndrome. (Sorry, were you saying you wanted rappers to rap about something different, for a change?)

Like many New York rappers, Cam'ron is a cult hero these days, not a chart-topping star. This album probably isn't going to change that, but it will give initiates more dazzling stanzas to decipher, like this one:

That's my word ??? word! (Word?)

I flip herb, birds, coke, crack,

dope, smack ??? oh, snap!

Heard? Heard.

I should talk in sign language; y'all don't deserve words.

In an album full of threats, this is the scariest one: a drunk-on-language rapper threatening to shut up. KELEFA SANNEH

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    And disclosure doesn't get much fuller than "I.B.S.," an earnest account of his battle with irritable bowel syndrome. (Sorry, were you saying you wanted rappers to rap about something different, for a change?)

And disclosure doesn't get much fuller than "I.B.S.," an earnest account of his battle with irritable bowel syndrome. (Sorry, were you saying you wanted rappers to rap about something different, for a change?)

I was sure "I.B.S" was going to be a metaphor for something when I heard the title but, no, that's really what it is.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    His parenthetical remark about had me bust out laughing in the cube

I still haven't heard this album...

His parenthetical remark about had me bust out laughing in the cube

I still haven't heard this album...

he's a black man who doesn't rap about selling crack and treating women like hoes. I've even heard him talk about some sell out shit like irritable bowel syndrome, how is a mostly white group of "rap" fans supposed to respect that?

Those caucasoids grew up, finished college and realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real". I mean how can you make good post-collegiate music? no one wants to hear a rapper talking about surviving without doing illegal shit. Can you imagine an actual black person being able to say something worth listening to about irritable bowel syndrome? Thats the kind of subject that it feels more comfortable coming out of the mouth of other white people.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    irritable bowel syndrome

JYEAH