Gabor Szabo's illest lp

gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
I say its this amplified acoustic guitar gypiefied cover tunes some may not agree.

Comments

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I don't even like the dude, but his "Small World" on the Swedish Four Leaf Clover label is pretty fucking listenable.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'd have to agree. It's the only studio record done with his best group. Same lineup as the two live lp's on Impulse if I'm not mistaken. Gabor is "that dude". for sure.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
     Jazz Raga is cool.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I don't even like the dude, but his eponymous release on the Swedish Four Leaf Clover label is pretty fucking listenable.

What's up with this? I think it's probably the only one I've never seen/heard. No US release?

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    To my opinion, he never made any "ill" LP... Just clean jazz, very close to easy listening. According to my tastes, JAZZ RAGA is his best US album. I didn't knew neither about the swedish LP... Is it different from what we use to hear from him ?

• I don't even like the dude, but his eponymous release on the Swedish Four Leaf Clover label is pretty fucking listenable.

Also issued as Belsta River with the pink snowy cover.

24 Karat is That Hott Schitt.

Here's all the info you would need on it:

http://www.dougpayne.com/belsta.htm

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    "Dreams" is my fave.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    "Dreams" is my fave.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I celebrate the last song on 1969 and Jazz Raga. Haven't put on Bacchanal in forever.

Skye-Fi

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• Actually, here's an earlier Lp on Four Leaf Clover:

info:

http://www.dougpayne.com/smalwrld.htm

• "Dreams" is my fave.

yessir

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    "Small World" on the Swedish Four Leaf Clover label is pretty fucking listenable.

Cosign. Put it on right now, I like the "for my people" track!

• gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
    Szabo's chops are ill and I personally would not label his earlier recordings as "easy listening". His sound, technique and approach to playing the guitar are very unique. He has a sound of his own.

Easy listening is not an offence! I mean his music is great, very clean and technical but according to me, not really transcendent. I just miss a spiritual reach when listening to Szabo's music... I find it a bit wise. But hey, I like it...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

"Keep Smiling" on "Nightflight" always does a little something for me. I just ignore that there are any other tracks on the album.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My personal fav is

Still want to check out

never heard that one

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There used to be piles Impulse shit, including his records, at the shop where I worked. I spent all my money on the Coltranes, Archie Shepps, Yusef Lateefs, Albert Aylers, etc. before I got to Szabo. Oh well.

There used to be piles Impulse shit, including his records, at the shop where I worked. I spent all my money on the Coltranes, Archie Shepps, Yusef Lateefs, Albert Aylers, etc. before I got to Szabo. Oh well.

And I just did the same without working in a record store, begining like you did with Coltrane: first things first...

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i have a 12" of it on uk mercury shared 12" w/ jones sugar pie guy og mix on the flip, cant remember the title they used, but its a take on be thankful for what youve got...nice.
    he got plenty of sample-able moments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    listen little dudes!!!

the Repulsion OST by Hamilton/Szabo!!! ya dig?!?!

i like most of szabo's records. each one has great moments. magical connection, higher contrast and the impulse ones are best IMO, but the belsta river is nice too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

co sign

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    the only gabor szabo LP i own is 'Wind Sky & Diamonds' and i like it... san franciscan nights is a great tune.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    "Dreams" is my fave.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I celebrate the last song on 1969 and Jazz Raga. Haven't put on Bacchanal in forever.

Skye-Fi
    Double cosign on both posts! Love Jazz Raga and Dreams.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    the only gabor szabo LP i own is 'Wind Sky & Diamonds' and i like it... san franciscan nights is a great tune.

Yup. Me too.

• Personal fave:

yea that one's cool.

thirded.

Fourthed. His "Bang Bang" is almost Gainsbourgish in its deadpan.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Personal fave:

and Jazz Raga (which I couldn't find a picture of) is also cool.

yea that one's cool.

thirded.

Fourthed. His "Bang Bang" is almost Gainsbourgish in its deadpan.

Fifthed? Fifffed?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    btw
    whats the correct pronunciation of his name?

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    Gabor was an amazing tragic player (does anyone know more about his scientolgist related demise?).

My favorite LP of his for the last few years has been Dreams on Skye. That is some high quality shit and Gabor always had the mellow sadness to his tone. I beleive that his guitar playing is somehow perfect but super rough and choppy. His emotion in playing is authentic on Dreams.

Our last copy of Dreams sold for $50+ and I was not surprised to see that people finally caught on to how desirable that record is... It is the best record on Skye in my opinion.

ap

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's also IMO one of the more elusive records he's done. I saw that auction and kept an eye out for it when I was in CA and did not see one copy (although I saw multiple copies of every other record on Impulse and Skye)

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    My fave? Yeah, another hot CTI grail!

Thirteen is my shit.