Movies that should be on DVD

Comments

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Wow. That looks good.

I've never seen this but the book was outstanding!

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Mezz Mezzrow's autobiography Really the blues - don't know if it was made into a movie?

Another really great book!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    not a movie, but DVD related... i wish they'd release all the WELCOME BACK KOTTER episodes on DVD already!

EDIT: oh shit... they have finally come out! woohoo!!!

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Fatso
    The Jazz Singer
    The African Queen
    Cruising
    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
    American Hot Wax
    Tales of Ordinary Madness

I just joined Netflix and actually I'm more surprised by how many films have made it to DVD.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Rubin and Ed, Box of Moonlight and Freaked.

• Freaked.

The VHS is on some grail status

Freaked.

got a dub somewhere...

Mr T as the bearded lady =

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Fatso
    The Jazz Singer - OUT
    The African Queen - OUT
    Cruising
    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! - OUT
    American Hot Wax
    Tales of Ordinary Madness - OUT Soon

I just joined Netflix and actually I'm more surprised by how many films have made it to DVD.

You're not looking hard enough some of the above are already out there. The last ones, a twofer with Touche Pas La Femme Blanche, out the end of the month in the UK at least

As for the new Star Wars, it's a cash cow that's ready for another milking, Lucas is a bastard but I'll buy 'em anyway.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The Jerk.

• The Jerk.

been issued and reissued for its 21st anniversary

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    this is on dvd. anyone know if there was ever an ost? or where to find the tunes?

What about Medium Cool?

Was that ever issued on DVD? The movie contains the best footage of the Chicago 1968 riots that exist, and there are many, many hours of footage that wasn't used. A deluxe bonus DVD of this material would be enthralling.

I couldn't find it on Amazon.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The Jerk.

been issued and reissued for its 21st anniversary

Just got

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Fatso
    The Jazz Singer - OUT
    The African Queen - OUT
    Cruising
    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! - OUT
    American Hot Wax
    Tales of Ordinary Madness - OUT Soon

You're not looking hard enough some of the above are already out there. The last ones, a twofer with Touche Pas La Femme Blanche, out the end of the month in the UK at least

None of the above are available on Netflix, so that's what I was basing my assumption on. My local indie video spot closed down this winter and I don't want to purchase any more DVDs. Where else should I be looking?

As for the new Star Wars, it's a cash cow that's ready for another milking, Lucas is a bastard but I'll buy 'em anyway.

George Lucas's lasting genius seems to be his ability to get people to purchase the same item many, many times.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Soldier starring Ken Wahl
    Terminal Island starring Tom Selleck.(there's a edited version out but who would want that).

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

None of the above are available on Netflix, so that's what I was basing my assumption on. My local indie video spot closed down this winter and I don't want to purchase any more DVDs. Where else should I be looking?

Ahhh you're trying not to buy, that limits the help I can give then, as I'm from the UK. If you do relent and end up buying I'd recommend DVD Pacific.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

SERIOUS CO-SIGN

sadly the weekend it showed was the weekend the HBO got turned off so i couldn't tape it. I am seriously pissed...

NUMBAH FOAH, BOBBY OAH!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the original Star Wars trilogy without the new effects
    Taking of Pelham 123

Hardcore

Death race 3000

all on DVD, no?

• it's been brought up on here before but has anyone seen Shorty the Pimp?

the OST CD liner notes said the only "known" print of it is held by Tarantino

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Freaked.

got a dub somewhere...

Great movie, and Keanu's finest role to date - A 2 Disc special edition came out last summer.

Also, some mentioned in the thread (like the Jodorowsky flicks) have been released, but not in R1 (North America) yet. Gotta get that all-region, PAL->NTSC converting player, man.

• Freaked.

got a dub somewhere...

Great movie, and Keanu's finest role to date - A 2 Disc special edition came out last summer.

Also, some mentioned in the thread (like the Jodorowsky flicks) have been released, but not in R1 (North America) yet. Gotta get that all-region, PAL->NTSC converting player, man.

who did Keanu play in the movie? All I remember is the big brother from Blossom, Brooke Sheilds and Mr. T...oh and Bill from Bill & Ted

a great way to get an all region DVD player is to look at the bargai basement Crazy Gideon type spots. Many of the cheaper DVD playes I see aren't subject to region 1. most of 'em seem to be able to play discs from all over

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    who did Keanu play in the movie? All I remember is the big brother from Blossom, Brooke Sheilds and Mr. T...oh and Bill from Bill & Ted

a great way to get an all region DVD player is to look at the bargai basement Crazy Gideon type spots. Many of the cheaper DVD playes I see aren't subject to region 1. most of 'em seem to be able to play discs from all over

He played Ortiz The Dog Boy (uncredited).

And yeah, a lot of el-cheapo players (Cyberhome, old Apex, etc.) are well-known for just needing a remote control code or something like that to bypass region locks. Even more reputable companies like Philips and Pioneer are getting into it. http://www.vcdhelp.com is a great resource to search players with these types of capabilities.

Since I actually plopped money down for a projector, I decided to go with an OPPO -- all-region/converting + quality output that rivals all players w/o going into crazy videophile $1000+ player territory.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Monte Hellman - Cockfighter / Iguana

You just gotta dig deeper:

Has dope radio spots and a trailer with the
    original title "Born to Kill" that's hilarious.
    Supposedly it's only theatrical release was a couple
    of drive-ins somewhere in Florida

Somebody else asked about Point Blank -
    it's commonly available, cheap, and

I'll throw "Rancho Notorious" by Fritz Lang out there, it's a personal
    fave that deserves a nice reissue. I have an OOP VHS I bought off
    eBay like 5 years ago for over $20 that plays like garbage.
    It shows on TCM tho, so I'll eventually dub it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Somebody else asked about Point Blank -
    it's commonly available, cheap, and

me! damn, my video store is slacking!

thanks!

He played Ortiz The Dog Boy (uncredited).

I thought Rivers Edge came out a few years earlier than Freaked...

• Actually I just found out this is coming while I was looking for the image...Criterion Collection too!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Luc Besson's Taxi.

I had to watch a Chinese DVD, translated from French into English subtitles.