Floss your DGA finds

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Over the years I've pulled a lot of goopd stuff out of Dusty Groove, some expensive, some reasonable, and some dirt sheap.Today I got a copy of Pete Rock and CL Smooth's 'The Creator' promo 12" with the surfboard mix on it for US$25. I thought that was pretty good. They graded it VG- but honestly its more like VG+ and it plays really nicely.What's your best DGA score?

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Copy of Good+ "People...Hold On" for $18 that plays VG+. Their grading is so weird...

I do love how people complain about them, and then post their "THIS IS OVERPRICED AND OVERGRADED" Not a Good Look emails 15 minutes after something has appeared in the New Arrivals section, ie., they're checking every damn day.

• I got the Big Daddy Kane Ain't No Half Steppin Remix for 40 bucks about a year ago. It was mint, I forget what they graded it at though.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Motherfucker!

I remmeber when that popped up in there and me along with about 400 other people probably tried buying it that day. You lucky bastard!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Greg Perry Still Smokin' LP for $12 and in respectable shape.

They tend to underprice Chicago stuff--you can get Ruby Andrews LPs from them for cheap, provided you can beat all the other little dudes pressing "add to cart".

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    still their descriptions suck ass

They also seem to have their favorites that they overprice... RAMP or any other Roy Ayers, Sir Joe Quartermain, George Semper. They've had a BW Souls "Marvin's Groove" 45 there for a few weeks priced at a laughable $40.

But, plenty of other stuff is oddly underpriced, so it all comes out in the wash.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Some of the best lousy grading we've seen in a long time!

still their descriptions suck ass

Yeah, I much prefer, "Ill-private label-psych-breakz-horn stabz".

Sure, they use too many exclamation points, but this is not the sort of writing that is ever going to win a pulitzer.

Am I the only one who thinks they suck at describing the music they are selling?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I do love how people complain about them, and then post their "THIS IS OVERPRICED AND OVERGRADED" Not a Good Look emails 15 minutes after something has appeared in the New Arrivals section, ie., they're checking every damn day.

Heh... guilty as charged!

It's an addiction...

SG

Take a look at this one....really cool record by the way but "Baroque modes filtered through a German postwar ideal.."?? get a grip!

Orchester Pete Jacques -- Round Trip To Rio (reissue) . . . LP . . . $15.99 (Item: 403539)
    Sonorama (Germany), 1970 Condition: New Copy View Cart
    Breezy bossa from 60s Germany -- a classic sound library session by pianist Pete Jacques, filled with lightly dancing rhythms, crackling acoustic percussion, and lots of cool wordless vocal bits next to the instruments! The sound is very much in the best MPS Snowflakes mode -- a mixture of jazz and easy with just the right influences from Brazil -- all crafted together with magnificent sound and a timeless groove that's far less cheesy than some of the American albums of this type from the time! There's a really dynamic feel to Jacques orchestrations on the set -- an interweaving of the understated and baroque modes going down in Brazil at the time -- filtered through a German postwar ideal that imagines the sound with an even cleaner vision than the original! Titles include "Round Trip To Rio", "Sandwichman", "Blue Water", "Bossa Da Bahia", "Pretty Belinda", "Bright Shining Stars", "Fruit Vendor", and "Bacana". Reissue adds 3 bonus tracks too -- "Fata Morgana", "Easy Motion", and "Avenida Copacabana".

Am I the only one who thinks they suck at describing the music they are selling?

Everyone thinks that, but at this point it's like complaining about the presence of sand at the beach or of little dudes on Soulstrut.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On a positive note, I bought some reissues on CD one time and the parcel got lost in the mail. They sent my order again at no charge with no questions asked.. I :heart: Dusty Groove.

Always with the DGA hate! Man, you'd think you were all hippies and DGA was the McDonalds of the internet record selling worls... maybe they are?

But man, being in Australia and being relatively isolated from the record collecting world (and before my exposure to ebay and soulstrut), DGA was like this way to read about a lot of mainstream funk and also to buy rare stuff in reasonable quanitity. Sure their grading can be a bit off, and their prices are oftena bit high, but they're also really low sometimes. And once you're used top the hyperbole (and it is obviously hyperbole), you get to udnerstand the language and then you can translate it!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Everyone thinks that, but at this point it's like complaining about the presence of sand at the beach or of little dudes on Soulstrut.

"Like sand in the hourglass, these are the Little Dudes of our lives"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

...it's like complaining about the presence of sand at the beach or of little dudes on Soulstrut.

Which of these do you think is more abundant?

I'm with you man, the stuff they sell is great...and especially when you're in an area with no too many recordstores close at hand they are absolutely great for finding out about new stuff.
    I don't hate on DGA at all.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

You need little dudes in your life as a point of reference, in other words, there wouldn't be bigger dudes in the absence of little dudes.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Everyone should buy the Swamp Dogg CDs they're selling!

yep, so true

...it's like complaining about the presence of sand at the beach or of little dudes on Soulstrut.

Strictly speaking, the former--it's just that the little dudes on Soulstrut are annoying in a way that is out of proportion with their numbers.

Much like how Reynaldo feels when some of the sands of Cancun find their way inside his Speedos.

You need little dudes in your life as a point of reference, in other words, there wouldn't be bigger dudes in the absence of little dudes.

It's all about perspective.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    it's like complaining about the presence of sand at the beach or of little dudes on Soulstrut.

Hey! i resemble that remark.

Strictly speaking, the former--it's just that the little dudes on Soulstrut are annoying in a way that is out of proportion with their numbers.

Much like how Reynaldo feels when some of the sands of Cancun find their way inside his Speedos.

Yeah, or like how Reynaldo feels when Faux finds his way inside his speedos....

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I often lie in bed at night contemplating Reynaldo's ability to cope with the grim realities of his existence.

Yeah, or like how Reynaldo feels when Faux finds his way inside his speedos....

Tepid.

And might I add that you reside in a country that matters from neither a hip-hop perspective nor a humor one.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Cancun

no-one has yet mentioned 'my white chick who sometimes acts black & sometimes doesn't know how to act'???

that was the real jewel right thur.

---

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Everyone should buy the Swamp Dogg CDs they're selling!

Is this the first time "TDoYM" has been available on cd? I'd really like to find that album. Let one get by me on Ebay not too long ago....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Tepid.

And might I add that you reside in a country that matters from neither a hip-hop perspective nor a humor one.

HIP HOP XENPHOBIA REVEALED

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

LOL