strikestrut (no work related)...

crossingscrossings 946 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
so i just called work and told them i'm not going in today... even though i am a legal immigrant, i still felt the need to "stand up for my people"... my supervisor told me that the company probably wouldn't pay me for today, but whatever...anyone else skipping on work today??... i'm interested in watching the news later tonight to see what all went down...

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Don't forget to get ur "A Day Without Gringos" on.

• so i just called work and told them i'm not going in today... even though i am a legal immigrant, i still felt the need to "stand up for my people"... my supervisor told me that the company probably wouldn't pay me for today, but whatever...

anyone else skipping on work today??... i'm interested in watching the news later tonight to see what all went down...

I'm at work right now and I know that there is a big march coming through the main street outside the building (miricle mile district)

My little brother is planning to join the march and meet me over here later in the afternoon.

My brother-in-law came here illegally and we plan to support the fuck outta him

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have a softball game at 11 and I saw a Coyote last night at Balboa Park.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I'm working today but my bosses gave our entire field crew the day off since 80% of them are mexican.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    so i just called work and told them i'm not going in today... even though i am a legal immigrant, i still felt the need to "stand up for my people"... my supervisor told me that the company probably wouldn't pay me for today, but whatever...

anyone else skipping on work today??... i'm interested in watching the news later tonight to see what all went down...

I think most things are running just fine.

What is this 'strike' supposed to accomplish? Someone is selling a lot of US and Mexican flags as far as I can tell.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Happy May Day!

• What is this 'strike' supposed to accomplish? Someone is selling a lot of US and Mexican flags as far as I can tell.

one of its goals is to show the economic power immigrants have in this country, after so much talk of closing the boarder, making a fence, minutemen, etc. they are trying to show just how valuable they are to the economy and to America itself.

It also shows a united voice, IMO, something thats very rare nowadays as we've become a very passive culture

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    What is this 'strike' supposed to accomplish? Someone is selling a lot of US and Mexican flags as far as I can tell.

one of its goals is to show the economic power immigrants have in this country, after so much talk of closing the boarder, making a fence, minutemen, etc. they are trying to show just how valuable they are to the economy and to America itself.

It also shows a united voice, IMO, something thats very rare nowadays as we've become a very passive culture

True, but these protests ignore a central point: immigrants that refuse to learn English and assimilate also have a negative effect on the economy. The teachers hired to teach them English takes away from the resources that could be used for kids already here, food stamps, hospitals, general lack of car insurance, and so on.

Should we kick them out?
    Absolutely not.

But the immigrants protesting need to do a better job of identifying the strengths and weaknesses in their argument. They work hard, and deserve to be here. But respect the process, please.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    future five pager...

happy May Day to pretty much all the strutters on here that don't live in the US.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

True, but these protests ignore a central point: immigrants that refuse to learn English and assimilate also have a negative effect on the economy.

I want to meet some immigrants who "refuse" to learn English.

Sheesh.

• What is this 'strike' supposed to accomplish? Someone is selling a lot of US and Mexican flags as far as I can tell.

True, but these protests ignore a central point: immigrants that refuse to learn English and assimilate also have a negative effect on the economy.

Sheesh.

saying!

I had written a long ass response to theory's statement, but decided that by posting it I would only validate that type of small minded thinking.

Sheesh.

Refuse was probably the wrong word to use. Don't care to is probably better said. I'm sure in NYC there are plenty of people over the age of 40 (Even those who have been in the US over 10 years) that don't care to learn English. Nor should they have to either.

It gets more and more difficult to learn a second language as you increase in age - while I'm sure there are older folks coming over now and having a very tough time learning English there are certainly folks who have been here for a while and know enough to get by.

There is also a big difference between refusing to learn it and refusing to speak it.

Most immigrants I come into contact with want to learn more English, it can only help them.

Learning a language is not exactly an easy thing to do; and I'm also not sure what the objective should be... is it useful for a migrant worker, hired day laborer, etc to write elegant prose and read college-level text? I mean sure, if that's what they want to do, but isn't it enough for them to be able to conduct their business with Americans successfully? Why is there this idea that every immigrant needs to be fluent, moreso than even American citizens??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

There is also a big difference between refusing to learn it and refusing to speak it.

yes.

it can be scary/embarassing/uncomfortable/etc. to speak with an accent and practice a new language. it's not easy to get over the fear of how one thinks/knows others will react.

It gets more and more difficult to learn a second language as you increase in age - while I'm sure there are older folks coming over now and having a very tough time learning English there are certainly folks who have been here for a while and know enough to get by.

Most immigrants I come into contact with want to learn more English, it can only help them.

Learning a language is not exactly an easy thing to do; and I'm also not sure what the objective should be... is it useful for a migrant worker, hired day laborer, etc to write elegant prose and read college-level text? I mean sure, if that's what they want to do, but isn't it enough for them to be able to conduct their business with Americans successfully? Why is there this idea that every immigrant needs to be fluent, moreso than even American citizens??

I agree with what you said. Shit, I was made to take french from kindergarten to grade 10. I can understand it, but my french sucks. I'm amazed by people that can learn 6 or 7 languages. Shit ain't easy.

I think some of the reasons one would need to learn tho, is to get a drivers licence. Also, if your ever going to sign/bind urself (tho, I guess you can always get someone to read it for you) into any type of contract or document, you might wanna know what time it is. But then I guess alot of the time English is my first language and I even have no clue as to what the fuck I'm really signing.

The only thing that weirds me out tho.. Is watching two people that speak two different languages (And both don't speak any english) try to talk to eachother. It seems mad frustrating.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Santa Fe has a huge Spanish-speaking population that are regularly offered classes in English. I work at a restaurant where people refuse to learn English. They're offered promotions based on their desire to learn English, so they can communicate with the waitstaff. This isn't small-mindedness--I see it every day.

Bare in mind, Americans are not required to learn ANY second language (and usually don't).

Immigrants from all over, by contrast, tend to speak more languages not to mention dialects.

Santa Fe has a huge Spanish-speaking population that are regularly offered classes in English. I work at a restaurant where people refuse to learn English. They're offered promotions based on their desire to learn English, so they can communicate with the waitstaff. This isn't small-mindedness--I see it every day.

Is their refusal based on not wanting to or not being able to? Classes cost money and take time, usually two things immigrants (particularly illegal ones) have very little of.

• Santa Fe has a huge Spanish-speaking population that are regularly offered classes in English. I work at a restaurant where people refuse to learn English. They're offered promotions based on their desire to learn English, so they can communicate with the waitstaff. This isn't small-mindedness--I see it every day.

out of curiousity do you know spanish?
    and if you do have you spoke with any of these spanish restaurant employees about the situation?

The only thing that weirds me out tho.. Is watching two people that speak two different languages (And both don't speak any english) try to talk to eachother. It seems mad frustrating.

Dude...when I worked as busboy back in high school, watching the Cuban prep cook & the Haitian dishwasher try to communicate was

Bare in mind, Americans are not required to learn ANY second language (and usually don't).

But then, is anyone required to speak English to Americans when they visit or work in other countries? I would think anywhere, they would want you to learn some of the language of the country they are in.

It's not like people that speak only english have got the "speak my language when you come to my country" thing on lock.

But then, is anyone required to speak English to Americans when they visit or work in other countries? I would think anywhere, they would want you to learn some of the language of the country they are in.

It's not like people that speak only english have got the "speak my language when you come to my country" thing on lock.

I think you misunderstand my point - all I'm saying is that it's a bit hypocritical considering that Americans never learn other languages despite their usefulness.

I think it's important for immigrants to this country to learn English, but I think that the whole "refusal to learn" thing is a bit of a strawman.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The marches are right outside my office in Oakland--there's a shitload of people out there walking, carrying both American and Mexican flags. It's a pretty dope thing to see, and good for them for speaking up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I played "Chicano Power" by Thee Midniters on my show today,
    and gave a shout out to all those taking to the streets...

...just doing my part, I'm sure all 27 of my listeners were moved

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

True, but these protests ignore a central point: immigrants that refuse to learn English and assimilate also have a negative effect on the economy. The teachers hired to teach them English takes away from the resources that could be used for kids already here, food stamps, hospitals, general lack of car insurance, and so on.

My wife teaches ESL (English as a second language), and your assumptions about non-English speakers are off base. Many of the non-English speaking immigrants (and their families) in this country are working in tech and medical (and other) industries as professionals. They're not just day laborers.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    The marches are right outside my office in Oakland--there's a shitload of people out there walking, carrying both American and Mexican flags. It's a pretty dope thing to see, and good for them for speaking up.

ME TOO!!!

except in LA.

there's palattes of bottled water on like every other corner in the miracle mile section of wilshire. looks like a stage or some shit on labrea. and dudes in mint green tshirts kinda overseeing the whole thing. nobody's down wilshire. yet

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Funny, when I think of wasted resources, the first thing that comes to mind is actually the cost of rebuildling a country that we probably shouldn't have invaded in the first place. Not to mention all the pork barrel spending that folks in Congress - on BOTH sides of the aisle - attach to all the emergency spending bills to pay for said Iraq War costs.

I'm not saying that immigration doesn't pose a burden on society - but MANY things do. From most of the economic analyses I've seen, the benefits of immigration to the U.S. - even illegal - outweighs the costs incurred.

And bottomline, if you're looking for wasteful spending, immigration is the least of your issues compare to more egregious examples of gov't mismanagement of our tax dollars. I mean, what's cost schools more? Educating immigrant children? Or trying to actually enforce Bush's ridiculously flawed "No Child Left Behind" policy?

Where's the Freakanomics dudes when you need them?

So, is amnesty what people are hoping the final outcome will be?

Maybe I should have stayed in Arizona. I really didn't enjoy all the hoops I had to jump through and fees I had to pay just to go to school there. And the things the lawyer said I would have to do and money I would have to come up with to get a green card just wasn't cuttin' it. But if amnesty could be the final outcome...

Maybe I can retire one day in AZ!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

They just walked past my office near Downtown Berkeley BART. Pretty cool thing to see. You always see small protests around Berkeley but this is the largest one I've ever seen.

I'm curious to see what the outcome of this will be. Like, what effects there were (if any). I know they were doing a 'day without a gringo' in Mexico, but I also heard that today is a holiday in Mexico, so everything was gonna be closed anyways.