Kelefa Sanneh: Soulstrut Lurker?

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/arts/music/01choi.html?_r=1&oref=sloginMobb Deep"Blood Money"(G Unit/Interscope)[/b]"I'm only 19, but my mind is old/ And when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold." More than a decade ago, the Queens rap duo Mobb Deep recorded "Shook Ones, Part II," which included that classic couplet. The two rappers, Prodigy (who delivered those lines) and Havoc, perfected an eerie, claustrophobic form of hip-hop. In their world, the clubs were as dangerous as the streets, and the streets were as airless as the clubs. Firmly established as New York legends, the two veterans became potential pop stars last year, when 50 Cent (a fellow Queens-bred rapper and a longtime fan) signed them to his G Unit label. On the 2005 club hits "Outta Control (Remix)" and "Have a Party," the two sounded great riding sleek beats and spitting sullen lyrics alongside their new boss.Both songs are bonus tracks on "Blood Money," Mobb Deep's debut album for G Unit Records, which is likely to thrill neither old fans nor new ones. Like most G Unit releases, this one (with 50 Cent as executive producer) is streamlined: no skits, few guests, barebones beats. That works well on a few songs, including "Put Em in Their Place," which adds scowling threats to a menacing track. But most of this album is startlingly uninspired; no-frills rhymes were once this duo's main weapon; now they are its main liability. The old paranoia is in short supply, and the new swagger never quite arrives: two warm hearts turned cold turned tepid[/b].--KELEFA SANNEH

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    he's pretty much on point. The album is mediocre at best.

Exile killed it for "Pearly Gates" though and the track with Young Buck is fire. Though Prodigy's rhymes are ehhhh...

VSOP... ASAP

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Exile killed it for "Pearly Gates" though and the track with Young Buck is fire. Though Prodigy's rhymes are ehhhh...

VSOP... ASAP

I'm not interested in any of that--I am interested only in his use of the word "tepid" as the stake through the hearts of the M-O-B-B.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The streets are indeed watching. The strut is the CNN equivalent now. Didn't you get the memo? I heard just the other day here on campus.

I'm curious if Kelefa has ever listened to Juvenile Hell.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

VSOP... ASAP

I'm not interested in any of that--I am interested only in his use of the word "tepid" as the stake through the hearts of the M-O-B-B.

But should royalties or respect be paid?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

VSOP... ASAP

are you personally laying claim to the 'coinage' of this term?

---

VSOP... ASAP

are you personally laying claim to the 'coinage' of this term?

---

No, not really--I just think it's a funny coincidence.

you do deserve credit as a 'popularizer' of the term though.

I saw the title 'faux reals' given to an article about fake LV logo shite in some glossy fashion rag I was perusing at Borders. check for it.

I saw the title 'faux reals' given to an article about fake LV logo shite in some glossy fashion rag I was perusing at Borders. check for it.

Thanks for the tip--I will proceed to Borders on my lunch break, wherein I will peruse all available glossy fashion rags.

Thanks for the tip--I will proceed to Borders on my lunch break, wherein I will peruse all available glossy fashion rags.

And just to be clear: I think both Jonny and Reynaldo were throwing "tepid" around on here before me.

that 'tepid funk turds' thread was what really pushed it over the top tho.

you won't be able to miss the mag, it has a louis v hatt on the cover or something. it's one of those, 'never seen it before, probably will fold in 4 issues' type titles.

sorry, I meant 'terds'...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm pretty sure "tepid" is some acta_donkey shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Indeed, and the possibility that Kelefa Sanneh is yet another pen name for Robby Railing is very real.

Indeed, and the possibility that Kelefa Sanneh is yet another pen name for Robby Railing is very real.

Are you sure that the man pictured is, in fact, Kalefa Senneh?

or is it....

the possibility that Kelefa Sanneh is yet another pen name for Robby Railing is very real.

...classic couplet...
    ...riding sleek beats...
    ...spitting sullen lyrics...
    ...adds scowling threats to a menacing track...
    ...startlingly uninspired...

I'm thinking "no."

If you don't think our own Mule_Molester adds scowling threats to menacing tracks, think again.

If you don't think our own Mule_Molester adds scowling threats to menacing tracks, think again.

Oh, I don't doubt it--I just have a hard time believing that he'd commit some Rickety-Rocket clunk-clunk like that to the printed page.

(Word I receive, though, is that he's collaborating with Yoko Ono and Peter Brown on "It's Hard Out Here For A Frimpong." If all goes according to plan, he will, quote, "never have to listen to any music ever again.")

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

gay house party? im also not hip to whats current... are these people we should know?

(Word I receive, though, is that he's collaborating with Yoko Ono and Peter Brown on "It's Hard Out Here For A Frimp(ong)." If all goes according to plan, he will, quote, "never have to listen to any music ever again.")

That is, without question, the realest shit you ever wrote.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think it is time for a ?

2k6: ss's kalefa thraed count reaching critical mass

I think it is time for a ?

2k6: ss's kalefa thraed count reaching critical mass

no doubt.

I wanna see how faux reacts to the internet presence of his 'mang crush'...

---

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    he'll pop his frosted tart?

seriously though, I enjoy reading his articles, so he's more than welcome to show up. I'm sure we can inspire him w/ more fodder for print.

• tepid

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I also just saw FAUX REALS somewhere, Mass Appeal?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    In all seriousness, there is little doubt in my mind that Kelefa Sanneh is a lurker.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/arts/music/01choi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Mobb Deep
    "Blood Money"
    (G Unit/Interscope)[/b]

"I'm only 19, but my mind is old/ And when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold." More than a decade ago, the Queens rap duo Mobb Deep recorded "Shook Ones, Part II," which included that classic couplet. The two rappers, Prodigy (who delivered those lines) and Havoc, perfected an eerie, claustrophobic form of hip-hop.

In their world, the clubs were as dangerous as the streets, and the streets were as airless as the clubs.

Firmly established as New York legends, the two veterans became potential pop stars last year, when 50 Cent (a fellow Queens-bred rapper and a longtime fan) signed them to his G Unit label.

On the 2005 club hits "Outta Control (Remix)" and "Have a Party," the two sounded great riding sleek beats and spitting sullen lyrics alongside their new boss.

Both songs are bonus tracks on "Blood Money," Mobb Deep's debut album for G Unit Records, which is likely to thrill neither old fans nor new ones. Like most G Unit releases, this one (with 50 Cent as executive producer) is streamlined: no skits, few guests, barebones beats. That works well on a few songs, including "Put Em in Their Place," which adds scowling threats to a menacing track.

But most of this album is startlingly uninspired; no-frills rhymes were once this duo's main weapon; now they are its main liability. The old paranoia is in short supply, and the new swagger never quite arrives: two warm hearts turned cold turned
    tepid[/b].

--KELEFA SANNEH

i hope i don't break your heart when i say this....

the universe does not revolve around "the 'strut".

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

the universe does not revolve around "the 'strut".

• the strut > universe