Kelefa Sanneh: Soulstrut Lurker?

2»

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    man, you guys are some really misinformed individuals! or wait...am i the one that's confused here...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the strut > universe

SMH, the universe lost.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/arts/music/01choi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Mobb Deep
    "Blood Money"
    (G Unit/Interscope)[/b]

"I'm only 19, but my mind is old/ And when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold." More than a decade ago, the Queens rap duo Mobb Deep recorded "Shook Ones, Part II," which included that classic couplet. The two rappers, Prodigy (who delivered those lines) and Havoc, perfected an eerie, claustrophobic form of hip-hop.

In their world, the clubs were as dangerous as the streets, and the streets were as airless as the clubs.

Firmly established as New York legends, the two veterans became potential pop stars last year, when 50 Cent (a fellow Queens-bred rapper and a longtime fan) signed them to his G Unit label.

On the 2005 club hits "Outta Control (Remix)" and "Have a Party," the two sounded great riding sleek beats and spitting sullen lyrics alongside their new boss.

Both songs are bonus tracks on "Blood Money," Mobb Deep's debut album for G Unit Records, which is likely to thrill neither old fans nor new ones. Like most G Unit releases, this one (with 50 Cent as executive producer) is streamlined: no skits, few guests, barebones beats. That works well on a few songs, including "Put Em in Their Place," which adds scowling threats to a menacing track.

But most of this album is startlingly uninspired; no-frills rhymes were once this duo's main weapon; now they are its main liability. The old paranoia is in short supply, and the new swagger never quite arrives: two warm hearts turned cold turned
    tepid[/b].

--KELEFA SANNEH

i hope i don't break your heart when i say this....

the universe does not revolve around "the 'strut".

This dude must get BAN.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Mobb Deep
    "Blood Money"
    (G Unit/Interscope)[/b]

"I'm only 19, but my mind is old/ And when the things get for real my warm heart turns cold." More than a decade ago, the Queens rap duo Mobb Deep recorded "Shook Ones, Part II," which included that classic couplet. The two rappers, Prodigy (who delivered those lines) and Havoc, perfected an eerie, claustrophobic form of hip-hop.

In their world, the clubs were as dangerous as the streets, and the streets were as airless as the clubs.

Firmly established as New York legends, the two veterans became potential pop stars last year, when 50 Cent (a fellow Queens-bred rapper and a longtime fan) signed them to his G Unit label.

On the 2005 club hits "Outta Control (Remix)" and "Have a Party," the two sounded great riding sleek beats and spitting sullen lyrics alongside their new boss.

Both songs are bonus tracks on "Blood Money," Mobb Deep's debut album for G Unit Records, which is likely to thrill neither old fans nor new ones. Like most G Unit releases, this one (with 50 Cent as executive producer) is streamlined: no skits, few guests, barebones beats. That works well on a few songs, including "Put Em in Their Place," which adds scowling threats to a menacing track.

But most of this album is startlingly uninspired; no-frills rhymes were once this duo's main weapon; now they are its main liability. The old paranoia is in short supply, and the new swagger never quite arrives: two warm hearts turned cold turned
    tepid[/b].

--KELEFA SANNEH

This dude must get BAN.

Can you afford it?

He might come to Harlem and WORK YOU. That would surely tarnish your street rep.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Mobb Deep
    "Blood Money"
    (G Unit/Interscope)[/b]

tepid[/b].

--KELEFA SANNEH

This dude must get BAN.

Can you afford it?

He might come to Harlem and WORK YOU. That would surely tarnish your street rep.

I'm sure you've seen Reggie Evans' technique against Chris Kaman. WORKED. you don't want none.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Mobb Deep
    "Blood Money"
    (G Unit/Interscope)[/b]

tepid[/b].

--KELEFA SANNEH

This dude must get BAN.

Can you afford it?

I'm sure you've seen Reggie Evans' technique against Chris Kaman. WORKED. you don't want none.

ILL TECHNIQUES