Options

Weekend FInds

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    a few LPs I picked up with some trade $$$ today:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    nice finds, hammertime.

thrifts and fleas--25 cents to a dollar ea.:

og wild style soundtrack lp , skylite's "boogie butt" 12" promo on blue marble vinyl, began cekic's 'computer wars' , the buddies lp is david allen from david allen and the arrows --lp is much in that surf/greaser thing, the 'countdown with jimmie haskell' lp is a weird and awesome exotica record with theremin, electronics, and all sorts of odd sounds. very joe mee-like.

that maori lp has a cover of 'funky broadway' and is autographed by them as well. Axelrod produced Letta Mbulu record in there too.

that is a advertising/radio spot 12" record from 1956 for nestle's instant coffee, also found a record with no label that ended up being a bunch of radio spots for vicks vapor-rub.

45s from --

the third position trio - gator party/she loves me on cele-can (funk)
    jackie opel and the troubadours -- don't let her go/you got to pay on wirl (reggae)
    clancy eccles - rod of correction/dub on new deal
    the foster bros -- let's jam/land of love on dillie
    james carroll booker 45 on a small label jamil. autographed!
    the players IV on knoll

and not a record, but my fave flea find of the week --

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The biggest find of my sunday flea run:

Clean copy for only 2 kr. (~30 cents) ??? yes!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

har du v??ret p?? loppemarked i new york idag ???

• Options

Over Horace Andy's "Fever"

Jackie and Ernest Ranglin going off.

Funky disco.

Johnnie Clarke's "Keep on Moving" cover in the back ground with Jazzbo on the toast. I'd wager a Tubby dub as well.

K in Canada.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

DIE!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    a few sunday finds:

for a dollar! my other copy of this is a white label too

very dope brooklyn boogie...same label as Les Femmes "Yes You Thrill Me" which i used on my Brooklyn mix

this was empty but i have a copy of the lp missing the cover so i snagged it

wow...jimmy sabater "to be with you" lp...never seen this before! the 12" is really common around nyc but this is the first i've seen of the lp...has two other funky latin disco cuts and hustle disco instructions

no cover...but still a nice find!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

that martin circus is pretty much the most German record ever. S&M+Sprockets+disco = more German than German!

actually Martin Circus is a french group..."disco circus" is such a classic~

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

very nice! never saw that lp before! disco instructions as well.....lucky day lucky day. i went ot buena and had to smell soul strutters sweat. spent the earlybird $7 and spent about $15 more on records, very weak.

got a clean copy of that hideous private press lp with an awesome cover, "the vision", and also one really wicked random 12".

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Over Horace Andy's "Fever"

Jackie and Ernest Ranglin going off.

Funky disco.

Johnnie Clarke's "Keep on Moving" cover in the back ground with Jazzbo on the toast. I'd wager a Tubby dub as well.

K in Canada.

I know where you got those.... too bad I came late.

• Options
    Tne Jackie, King Sporty, and the East HARlem weren't from there. Frind came down and we hit up the flea and then out to a frineds place in Scarborough.

Were you the oher guy that comes for reggae? I paid him good dough and told him I'd give him up to $50 a 45 fi he gave me a ding.

Nice dude, K.

P.S. I didn't go out last night and fell asleep at 10:00, thus the early wake up.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    actually Martin Circus is a french group..."disco circus" is such a classic~

d'oh! i forgot! how embarrassing, ive had a Goodwill copy for about 10 years. well, to me it will always be uber-krauty. Good stuff indeed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

wow...jimmy sabater "to be with you" lp...never seen this before! the 12" is really common around nyc but this is the first i've seen of the lp...has two other funky latin disco cuts and hustle disco instructions

Is it any good?

Because the 12" is unspeakably bad.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    From what I recall it's bad, I sold it for cheap.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Kind of a quiet week. I got some store vouchers from a guy I work with for putting some of his LPs on CD. So I used the extra $ to splash out on some new 45s I'd been meaning to buy for ages.
    Anyways, for what it's worth. LPs:

And 45s

James Brown - Kansas City
    Cavaliers Unlimited - The Nasty
    The Flirtations - What's Good About Goodbye (double, I hate it when I buy shit I already have, still a cool 45 though).
    The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache
    The Flirtations - Momma I'm Coming Home
    The Flirtations - Need Your Loving (this turned about to be kind of a double too, but the other copy I have has a different flip).
    Kashmere Stage Band - Super Strut
    Lefties Soul Connection - Peacock Strut
    Opensouls - Turn It Up (cool as hell local stuff, I can't wait to pick up their newly released full length).
    Joe Simon - Nine Pound Steel (this is a ballad, the flip is better, in a uptempo way).

Is it any good?

it's a lot like the 12"...really good funky breaks inbetween bad singing...actually the a-side is the disco side and the b-side is slower jams...but the two other disco songs on the a-side are pretty dope...definitely worth a listen.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Gil Melle anyone?
    i picked up 'Waterbirds' yesterday but havent gotten to listen yet. Its on Nocturne.

i need to get a digital camera because i have a few records to show. i got a 7" last weekend called 'Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child' and it features 6 Korean children singing and some nun does Motherless Child acapella. Strange stuff, but the cover is so tough.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Finds from the Glebe record fair

And a KPM library haul

Some of the highlights

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    And a KPM library haul

Nice find. Are these the black KPMs you were asking about?

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Wow, nice KPM-haul!

My weekend was pretty good, found some stuff that's necessary for my collection and some long time wants.

Nico Gomez Ritual OG!!! Found this at a flea. The record looks very bad, but I thought I'd just buy it as a starter copy, turned out it plays very good.

5 Minty James Brown '75-'78 records, all from the same dealer on a flea
    Open Sky Unit repress - this stuff is fire!

45s:
    The MacDavid Brothers - Panky's Boogooloo (very funky Belgian 7" - Double)
    SSO - Disco Soul Roots 7" (B-side won't you try is a great Ralph benatar produced Boogie/disco cut - Double)
    The Oscar Harris 7" is very dissapointing

Not pictured:
    Sadi and his Big Band - Tea for Two lp
    Hamilton Bohannon - Insides out Lp

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im always stoked about my finds till i click on these fucking threads!!

fuck all yall.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Gil Melle anyone?
    i picked up 'Waterbirds' yesterday but havent gotten to listen yet. Its on Nocturne.

I like this LP a lot, it's not for everybody... modern jazz from the dude who did the andromeda strain soundtrack. This is one of his few (two?) jazz albums.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Is it any good?

it's a lot like the 12"...really good funky breaks inbetween bad singing...actually the a-side is the disco side and the b-side is slower jams...but the two other disco songs on the a-side are pretty dope...definitely worth a listen.

Hmmm... well I objected less to the singing than to the playing on the 12". I am a big fan of Sabater's earlier work, but found that 12" to be way too saccharine.

But I'll keep an eye out for the LP--I didn't know it existed, either.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Gil Melle anyone?

I like this LP a lot, it's not for everybody... modern jazz from the dude who did the andromeda strain soundtrack. This is one of his few (two?) jazz albums.

From what i read he signed to Blue Note when he was really young and has Prestige and Verve releases...maybe more than two, but i am just going by what i read as i am not outrightly familiar just yet. Can't wait to listen when i get home from work.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Gil Melle anyone?

From what i read he signed to Blue Note when he was really young and has Prestige and Verve releases...maybe more than two, but i am just going by what i read as i am not outrightly familiar just yet. Can't wait to listen when i get home from work.

His Blue Note and Prestige stuff from the 50's is excellent, modern jazz with a chamber-ish vibe to them. All available on CD (or they were at one point)>

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Soul Messengers are actually the same group as "Sons of the Kingdom" - Modernization (KOG) They are Black Isrealites from Chicago, with ties to Soul Vegetarian restaurant apparently.

I always wondered about that group. I gathered they were Black Israelites, but other than that, I don't know much about them. I've only got this album:

On Kingdom Productions, Israeli pressing.

I've never seen that Columbia one, or any other record by them for that matter.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Anyone seen that Beat of the Groups? I swear I saw that on here. Also, what up with that penn academy? I'm not really digging it, is there a market out there for late 70's jazz from schools in NY?

that folkways is recommended to fans of street and gangland rhythms, or for cool childrens records. 1953.

Joe Clay and Stan Cayer - 2 great Canadian 50s rock and roll 45s.

Thanks to strutter sipreano (sp?) for this great canadian sou/funk 45!

Woo! Thanks wyzewayz for the trade!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Anyone seen that Beat of the Groups? I swear I saw that on here. Also, what up with that penn academy?

i have it... i copped it in berlin at a flea market... it's german garage groups... if you're not into garage, it's nothing amazing... if you are, it's pretty nice, but not mind blowing... a few too many tame songs, however the version of "painted black" on there makes the whole record worth it for me...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    ]http://www.ualberta.ca/~alevin/images/finds-april302006-1.jpg

Anyone seen that Beat of the Groups? I swear I saw that on here. Also, what up with that penn academy?

i have it... i copped it in berlin at a flea market... it's german garage groups... if you're not into garage, it's nothing amazing... if you are, it's pretty nice, but not mind blowing... a few too many tame songs, however the version of "painted black" on there makes the whole record worth it for me...
    I'll have to listen to that when I get home. I like garage, you're right in that there are too many tame songs. Call Me is pretty good though. I think I'll have to re-sell. Thanks.