bush not down with spanish national anthem

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Rockadelic, records have been tracked by people who knew Spanish, where people who didn't were not able to find the people. So it has applications specifically to what you do.

Well, see, if the people who possessed the records had been forced to learn English, it wouldn't have been a problem.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Rockadelic, records have been tracked by people who knew Spanish, where people who didn't were not able to find the people. So it has applications specifically to what you do.

Well, see, if the people who possessed the records had been forced to learn English, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Thing is, they often do know some English. They just won't talk to you in it. Funny, that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    citizens of a country benefit just as much from (new) immigrants as immigrants do from the citizens of the country they are making their new home. all this talk about immigrants should conform to ???our way of life??? is myopic ??? they HELPED to create it. the North American way of life was not handed down by God or created in a vacuum, it is the result of numerous cultures contributing to the social fabric. this ???way of life???, including the language, is not a fixed thing, but a living and fluid entity. it is constantly changing and every damn body contributes to it, good and bad.

folks want to eat the food, fuck the wo/men, buy the trinkets, rock the music, watch the movies and bite the styles, but they can't deal with the languages?

english will not stop being the working/de facto language of Canada or the States anytime soon, so all this alarmist talk is unfounded.

what am I missing here? this song is praising America is it not? it just happens to be in another language? how this is a threat and not a compliment is beyond me.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

what am I missing here? this song is praising America is it not? it just happens to be in another language? how this is a threat and not a compliment is beyond me.

Thing is, they often do know some English. They just won't talk to you in it. Funny, that.

Well if speaking English was the law, then what you could do in that situation is you could involve the police!

Well if speaking English was the law, then what you could do in that situation is you could involve the police!

A surefire way to open them right up!

Confiscate the records because they've been used in the commission of a crime, and then sell them at a police auction to real Americans--that's what I'm tawnbout!

Confiscate the records because they've been used in the commission of a crime, and then sell them at a police auction to real Americans--that's what I'm tawnbout!

... Who could then look them up on gemm and auction them on ebay to the highest bidding japanese!

That's the kind of globalization I'm for!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

"I'm not a supporter of boycotts," Bush said

Does this mean we will be lifting sanctions on all countrys from Burma to Iran?

Dan

I thought the National Anthem was already in Spanish...

Doesn't it start off... "Jose can you see"??

Yes. As you know it is about a sporting event. That is why the only times Americans sing it is at sporting events.

Jose is in the cheap seats: Jose can you see? It is a night game in extra innings/overtime: By the dawns early light? And so on.

• citizens of a country benefit just as much from (new) immigrants as immigrants do from the citizens of the country they are making their new home. all this talk about immigrants should conform to ???our way of life??? is myopic ??? they HELPED to create it. the North American way of life was not handed down by God or created in a vacuum, it is the result of numerous cultures contributing to the social fabric. this ???way of life???, including the language, is not a fixed thing, but a living and fluid entity. it is constantly changing and every damn body contributes to it, good and bad.

folks want to eat the food, fuck the wo/men, buy the trinkets, rock the music, watch the movies and bite the styles, but they can't deal with the languages?

english will not stop being the working/de facto language of Canada or the States anytime soon, so all this alarmist talk is unfounded.

No-one in this thread has put forth any of the arguments you are countering. The belief that immigrants should learn english is not based upon a belief in the inate superiorty of american culture, it is based on the recognition that a society requires a common language to function effectively. If you emigrate to spain you should learn spanish and if you emigrate to france you should learn french.

citizens of a country benefit just as much from (new) immigrants as immigrants do from the citizens of the country they are making their new home. all this talk about immigrants should conform to ???our way of life??? is myopic ??? they HELPED to create it. the North American way of life was not handed down by God or created in a vacuum, it is the result of numerous cultures contributing to the social fabric. this ???way of life???, including the language, is not a fixed thing, but a living and fluid entity. it is constantly changing and every damn body contributes to it, good and bad.

No-one in this thread has put forth any of the arguments you are countering. The belief that immigrants should learn english is not based upon a belief in the inate superiorty of american culture, it is based on the recognition that a society requires a common language to function effectively. If you emigrate to spain you should learn spanish and if you emigrate to france you should learn french.

... and I don't think anyone's countering that either. I would like to see someone counter the idea that Americans shouldn't learn other languages, as that seems to be the national attitude.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it is based on the recognition that a society requires a common language to function effectively.

Thats a great talking point. Really it is, your kind will fool a lot of people with that, but this shit is truly all about cultural superiority at the end of the day.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If you emigrate to spain you should learn spanish and if you emigrate to france you should learn french.

Except that the majority of people in these nations
    speak some English and probably Dutch and a touch
    of Russian. Europeans understand that they live
    in a melting pot and actually try to adapt to "function
    properly." Of course, the French do tend to get
    nationalistic about their language, but I'm not looking to
    give them a pass, just making a point.

America needs to reduce our xenophobia, or get left behind.
    It's just a fact.

There are practical reasons to have one standardized language.

Last week we had a police officer go on trial for hitting a Mexican national who failed to do as the officer had instructed because he did not understand English.

And I'm certain if I was in a foriegn country and did not comply to a Police Officers commands there would be a similar problem as well.

We can demand that all public servants be bi-lingual but where does it end?? Should they learn 14 dialects of Mandarin too???

In New Zealand you can not become a citizen unless you speak English and I don't hear anyone yelling discrimination there.

I think it makes sense that when you move to a country you should be expected to conform to that country's ways of life, not the other way around.

Now if Mexico wants to declare war, kick our ass and take over, THEN we should all be expected to speak spanish.

Until then I support one language in the U.S.....the one that's been spoken since the country was formed.....English.

Every other ethnic group that has come to America has been able to learn English...it can't be that hard.

I would be better of hitting my head against a wall but...

America is not stronger for being a one language country, we are weaker.

One of the worlds largest economic powers is Holland. Dutch is spoken by almost no one, but the typical Dutch person speaks English/German/French as well as Dutch. That is one reason that so many of the worlds largest corporations are Dutch. Yet they are a small country.

Your idea that any one who visits another country with out knowing the local language should be subjected to a police beating is ludacris.

Ok, go ahead and tell me I am an asshole.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

ooops - there i go again, not thinking in absolutes! (I do not understand the strict rules of discussing things in English very well, being an immigrant and all)

and you, babycakes, keep making an argument no one is disputing:

YES, one should learn the language of the country they plan to live in.

yeesh.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

America needs to reduce our xenophobia, or get left behind.
    It's just a fact.

If you emigrate to Spain you should first learn Castillian. Then if you are going to live in Barcelona/Catalan you best learn Catalan, and if you settle in Basque contry, i recommend learning Basque.

While it is difficult for xenophobic Americans to get their heads around, many countries have more than one national language.

Dan

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

If you emigrate to Spain you should first learn Castillian. Then if you are going to live in Barcelona/Catalan you best learn Catalan, and if you settle in Basque contry, i recommend learning Basque.

While it is difficult for xenophobic Americans to get their heads around, many countries have more than one national language.

Dan

• If you emigrate to Spain you should first learn Castillian. Then if you are going to live in Barcelona/Catalan you best learn Catalan, and if you settle in Basque contry, i recommend learning Basque.

Dan

Spain doesnt have more than one national language though. A variety of languages are spoken but castillian is the official language and the is one you would be advised to learn if you intended to set up home there. Only amongst liberals is it controversial to suggest that if you wish to succesfully integrate into a society it is best to learn the language that is principally spoken.

(Id also question the wisdom of casting spain as the blueprint of a future american society considering how rife racism and cultural divides are there)

• ooops - there i go again, not thinking in absolutes! (I do not understand the strict rules of discussing things in English very well, being an immigrant and all)

and you, babycakes, keep making an argument no one is disputing:

YES, one should learn the language of the country they plan to live in.

yeesh.

making an argument no-one is disputing is preferable to countering an argument no-one is making.

• there was no need for him to make that statement. he sounds like an ignorant asshole, not a compassionate president. furthermore, with a war in iraq, genocide in darfur, and a us economy in shambles, he should have more important shit to worry about.

He isn't worrying about it. Someone asked him what he thought about it, so he answered.

Dan

Spain doesnt have more than one national language though. A variety of languages are spoken but castillian is the official language and the is one you would be advised to learn if you intended to set up home there. Only amongst liberals is it controversial to suggest that if you wish to succesfully integrate into a society it is best to learn the language that is principally spoken.

(Id also question the wisdom of casting spain as the blueprint of a future american society considering how rife racism and cultural divides are there)

Thank you, noted.

I wasn't suggesting using Spain as a blueprint for American socity, I was responding to a post suggesting that we should do as Spain does.

I was suggesting that we should use Holland as a blueprint. A country that takes freedom seriously.

Dan

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i think the media is creating more hype around this than there really is. but i could be wrong. i mean, really, star spangled banner in spanish. who cares? half the people singing it at a game dont even know the words. im alright with folks just humming along.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i think the media soulstrut[/b] is creating more hype around this than there really is.

i think the media soulstrut[/b] is creating more hype around this than there really is.

oh, i thought that was implied.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    shit, as much as i read this board, soulstrut IS the media, haha. have a good weekend to all.

PLAYOFFS BOTCHES!

half the people singing it at a game dont even know the words.

My late grandfather, god rest his soul, a decorated general in WWII, I swear to friggin God had his own lyrics to that shit. I could never figure out what he was singing.

im always suspicious towards the end of the song when everyone starts clapping. its like theyre already anticipating the end of the song and everyone's like "WOOHOOOOOO!!!! ITS ALMOST OVER!!!!!"