I NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE (Ayres,Cosmo,anyone)

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Chopped & screwed modern experimental soul bitch slap with a jheri curl spiritual jazz biffed out aftertaste used by real headz and big dudes

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PS I miss Leo_Slayer

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ANNOUNCING THE BRAND NEW ____________, AN ESSENTIAL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT FOR ANY DJ OR PRODUCER WHO SEEKS TO MAKE MUSIC THAT EMBODIES:

Fany chopped & screwed modern experimental soul bitch slapz with a spiritual jazz jheri curl biffed out aftertaste used by realz headz that knowz tha dealz and big dudes busting uber moves and jacking toyz with a real, private parking-lot mentality mind garden in the crunktastic world!

• I agree with Marco and Dubious. And H****h, it seems to me like you are a little aggro today - maybe it is time for a sandwich.

If anyone needs me, I will be in Mississippi, busting moves in the trill world.

you are right..im headed to the deli now. mmmm..french dip...

sorry for some of the attitude I might have had...
    thanks for the help guys!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Do you use CDJs? Hows the quality? Say you burn a record or a mp3 onto a CD to use when playing out...how does it sound? compared to the original quality? noticeable..or what?

well i myself don't use cds.. im a vinyl dude... but in light of your situation / goals i think the solution i outlined is pretty good.

urrrs did a good post awhile back where he ran down the pros and con's on the various cd players available and i think his recomendations are probably solid.

as for playing mp3's in a club.. im of the "don't risk it" variety.. but then again that's because i pretty much play everything off 12"... so one or two mp3 tracks are gonna stand out like a sore thumb.. if they're encoded hi enough and you spin out primarily off LP's / cds and burnt cds maybe it wouldnt be such a big differance.

but in your position having the MPC and a computer sequencer makes the MPC redundant and that should be the first peace to go.

• but in your position having the MPC and a computer sequencer makes the MPC redundant and that should be the first peace to go.

yeah I feel ya..now if I can just find someone to trade a loaded 2000xl for a cdj I will be ready to go..thanks.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

but in your position having the MPC and a computer sequencer makes the MPC redundant and that should be the first peace to go.

yeah I feel ya..now if I can just find someone to trade a loaded 2000xl for a cdj I will be ready to go..thanks.

oh my. Sorry i would have responded sooner. But sequencing in cubase or whatever is not nearly as satisfying as an mpc. Call me a purest or whatever, but that is a very foolish decision. Everyone whos anyone professional that Ive ever met is still using the mpc, and thats cause its an actual instrument and not just some program that you can click your mouse at. thats just my opinion i guess, mabye you are more of a dj than a producer, if thats the case than I can respect your decision.

SMH means shaking my head, sorry, a little internet lingo i seem to have picked up from 15 year olds frequenting my normal hip hop forums.

And are you seriously gonna sell off turntables? I mean sell your wax if you want to, but how are you going to dig if you aint got turntables? Dig for cd's? only on the internet? You are totally denying yourself the joy of walking into a record store and randomly flipping through old boxes of goodness? I cant see anyone on THIS site telling you thats a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

anyway, thats my 2 cents. Please think before you do something rash.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    My two cents:
    I've thought about selling all my analogue shit numerous times, but have always come back to this idea: never get rid of things that you're familiar and comfortable with. I'd say save up and try to add on. Keep all that equipment and add the digital stuff. I'll digitize your records if I can keep them.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    My two cents:
    I've thought about selling all my analogue shit numerous times, but have always come back to this idea: never get rid of things that you're familiar and comfortable with. I'd say save up and try to add on. Keep all that equipment and add the digital stuff. I'll digitize your records if I can keep them.

On that note, is it just me or now that we are in the "protools" or "cooledit" or "cubase" days everyone has the same remark "I want it to sound warm"

Ok then .... leave the digital domain.

I'm with you. I have protools so I can send sessions in the mail and be compatible...but I can't leave the analog world. It's the reason I buy moog's and second hand keyboards.

At least keep the MPC!!!!!!!

A few weeks ago (I won't name names) I was in the studio with a artist on a major who I was demo'ing music to. His comment killed me;

"Man...you beats sound like real instruments! The guitar and drums sound real!"

Really??....wow...what a concept. Music with real instruments...maybe you need to tell everyone else to put the fuck'n triton down!!!!!!!!

lol.....

My two cents:

On that note, is it just me or now that we are in the "protools" or "cooledit" or "cubase" days everyone has the same remark "I want it to sound warm"

I'm with you. I have protools so I can send sessions in the mail and be compatible...but I can't leave the analog world. It's the reason I buy moog's and second hand keyboards.

A few weeks ago (I won't name names) I was in the studio with a artist on a major who I was demo'ing music to. His comment killed me;

Really??....wow...what a concept. Music with real instruments...maybe you need to tell everyone else to put the fuck'n triton down!!!!!!!!

lol.....

mabye just a better keyboard. The mpc is digital.

What moog do you have? Who was you in the studio with?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    My two cents:

lol.....

man from my experience the mpc2000 and the xl are two of the coldest sounding samplers on the market. is there really people out there buying these thinking they get warm sound? i mean i agree with b-sides, its more of an instrument, but warm? hell no!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

an mpc is still a freaking computer.. its still completely digital. maybe the A/D converters are pleasing to certain ears and its comfy for people who've used them for years but to think that switching to computer sequencing is gonna fuck up your game is straight up stooooopid.. and mpc is still a computer albiet a very very limited one designed for a specific purpose.

"the pads its all about the pads".. well go buy one of those lil akai mpc pad modules if you gotta have em.

i say sell the mpc while you can still get some money for it... its definatly a shrinking market... more and more kids coming up these days already have computers and when they start makin beats they arent gonna bother buying something else when they can use what they already have.

there's an old adage "garbage in garbage out". It's all just a digital storage medium whether its on your computer or your MPC.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    With a computer you could sample the entire catalog of everything if you wanted to and put effects on everything while using 10 vst synths and multitracking using 150 tracks if you want. Shit'll be hot.

Man > Gear

seriously,
    feedback aside, no anonymous Soulstrut dude is going to make the decision for you.

Not trying to be a dick, but grow nuts and figure it out yourself.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    GARAGEBAND owns your kids.....

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    As far as dj'ing is concerned, go for the CDJ's and or Serato and sell the vinyl you only use in the club and don't enjoy owning anymore.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    "Demo" Cubase in some sort of fashion for like a month and see if you still like using it then. The thing about sequencers is that if you aren't comfortable in using one, all the features in the world won't make a difference. After my MPC broke, I tried using Cubase and I couldn't get shit done! Then you have people like the 45 King who switched to Logic after years of using MPCs. I would recommend getting Serato and keeping the 1200s like a bunch of people said.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    The thing about sequencers is that if you aren't comfortable in using one, all the features in the world won't make a difference.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    CDJs are hugely unsatisfying, no patter what kind of "vinyl" platter they put on top of it. But then again, I'm a tactile kind of guy...I bought an MPC for the pads.

I would advise against having one turntable and one CDJ. It limits the sequence of your mixing...having two of one type is necessary, depending on what you have more of (CDs versus records), and what you enjoy playing with.

I have a CDJ Pioneer 800 and like it, but don't love it like my Technics. I use it to supplement where my vinyl collection is lacking but by no means use it as my focal tool. Yeah, CDJs are more practical in terms of record versus CD weight, but you really gotta make sacrafices when it comes to what you prefer handling. Try the CDJ out first. If you don't like it, chance are you'll end up not wanting to DJ anymore because you hate mixing with a glorified plastic Jog wheel that makes digital scratching sounds...

peace
    gNAT

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

urrrs did a good post awhile back where he ran down the pros and con's on the various cd players available and i think his recomendations are probably solid.

yeah if you are going to get CDJs, get Pioneer CDJ 800s - definitely most bang for the buck IMO. here is the old thread:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=292909&Forum=crates&Words=Pioneer%20CDJ&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=292023&Search=true#Post292909

I recomend Serato Scratch or Final Scratch over CDJs though - it is a lot more flexible in terms of organisation and mixing on the fly, and it feels just like spinning records, without the lower back pain.

In other news, the red beans and rice, gumbo and hot tamales in Mississippi are doing it real big. It's 80 degrees here and I just got back from swimming in the pond.

an mpc is still a freaking computer.. its still completely digital. maybe the A/D converters are pleasing to certain ears and its comfy for people who've used them for years but to think that switching to computer sequencing is gonna fuck up your game is straight up stooooopid.. and mpc is still a computer albiet a very very limited one designed for a specific purpose.

"the pads its all about the pads".. well go buy one of those lil akai mpc pad modules if you gotta have em.

i say sell the mpc while you can still get some money for it... its definatly a shrinking market... more and more kids coming up these days already have computers and when they start makin beats they arent gonna bother buying something else when they can use what they already have.

there's an old adage "garbage in garbage out". It's all just a digital storage medium whether its on your computer or your MPC.

to each his own, but the mpc aint going nowhere. And the sound on the 4000 is friggin FIRE! Its also still the easiest way ive seen to use multiple hardware synths together for midi sequencing purposes. Its classic!

Your argument is basicly like "sell your records now, cause those things are gonna be worthless once cd's come out".

Not to pretend like its analog vs. digital, cause its not, but I guess if you already have an mpc and you dont like it, then dump it. Its not for everybody.