vashti bunyan

slushslush 691 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
can i say im slightly jealous that all these new folk dudes get to work with vashti bunyan? i wish she would do some stuff on her own again. yeah sorry animal collective, but stand back for a second from chanting and yodeling and shit and let Vashti do her thing. she is way cooler. sorry.

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i don;t know man.. sung tongs was a really really great album.. i thought here comes the indian was no big deal but man Sung Tongs was hot.

that said i tried listening to Vashti's Just Anotehr Diamond Day the other day for the first time in years and couldnt even get 3 songs in before i hadda turn it off... can we say nursery rhymes???

• slushslush 691 Posts
    can we say soothing caress, bathing in forest gully water with assorted fawns and otters?

im not hating on animal collective, actually yes i am

well like i said i think Tongs was great but the earlier stuff was def lacklustre.

but why hate on them? vashti hasnt done shit in 30 years and these dudes and devendra finally get her involved in some new stuff... isnt that a good thing?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i wish she would do some stuff on her own again.
    let Vashti do her thing. she is way cooler. sorry.

i wish she would do some stuff on her own again.
    let Vashti do her thing. she is way cooler. sorry.

dude left to her own devices she didnt do nuthin... see anne briggs.

anyhow have you heard this new animal collective / bunyan ep .. does it suck? aint peeped it yet.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    that said i tried listening to Vashti's Just Anotehr Diamond Day the other day for the first time in years and couldnt even get 3 songs in before i hadda turn it off... can we say nursery rhymes???

Shoulda kept listening (I know the song you're talking about). That said whoever reissued the LP probably should have taken the time to collect ALL of her stuff from before that LP (it would have fit too), including her early 45s and the two part version of 'Winter Is Blue' from the 'Tonight Lets All Make Love In London' soundtrack. Some very nice folk rock there, leading into wispy psychedelia-inspired stuff into "I'm goin' back to the woods to live with the leprechauns" stuff.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    im just being a jerk.

she did some shows before the devendra thing.... im glad she is making moves and id love to hear more stuff like "rejoicing the hands"

i just picked up the ac/vb thang today.... im a little dissapointed... ac's style kind of dominates and obscures vashti from view.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    im just being a jerk.

she did some shows before the devendra thing.... im glad she is making moves and id love to hear more stuff like "rejoicing the hands"

i just picked up the ac/vb thang today.... im a little dissapointed... ac's style kind of dominates and obscures vashti from view.

I think with some of these new artists, she just adds marquee value to their records, i.e. 'Look! Vashti Bunyan's on our CD. You can't hear her but her name can be read clearly on the cover!'

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Can we change the Soulstrut banner to read "Crate Digging DJ and Freak Folk Culture!"

Shoulda kept listening (I know the song you're talking about).

yeah i know .. hadnt peeped it in a long long time and i just hadnt remembered it starting off so lacklustre... and besides my wife was in the room and i didnt exactly wanna come off too

but then again now that i think about it the last time i heard the bunyan i think i was on shrooms and had already had my mind blown wide open by the Matreya Sai Satya Kali jams so i was primed for it.

that's too bad about the AC/VB collab.. i liked the song she did with devendra but then again that seems like a much more copacetic match since his own production / instrumentation is so minimal.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

yeah sorry animal collective, but stand back for a second from chanting and yodeling and shit and let Vashti do her thing. she is way cooler. sorry.

those faggs arent fit to come within a mile of Vashti. This new jack folk shit is getting on my nerves. somebody please ban joanna newsome from ever opening her fucking mouth agian!

faggs

that's neither sexy or nice

grow up dude

yeah sorry animal collective, but stand back for a second from chanting and yodeling and shit and let Vashti do her thing. she is way cooler. sorry.

those faggs arent fit to come within a mile of Vashti. This new jack folk shit is getting on my nerves. somebody please ban joanna newsome from ever opening her fucking mouth agian!

Dude, if you successfully implement that ban I will be very very MAD at you.

faggs

grow up dude

I didnt mean anything by it doubbie. I meant homos...uh wait, no DICKS! any way you slice it they make a terrible sound!

• darendaren 28 Posts
    faggs

grow up dude

I didnt mean anything by it doubbie. I meant homos...uh wait, no DICKS! any way you slice it they make a terrible sound!

I don't see how they're "faggs". I enjoy Animal Collective quite highly. If it isn't your thing, I can respect that, but name calling doesn't get you anywhere.

yeah moving on.

animal collective are similar to black dice for me.. they both got massive hype and i really wanted to hate them.. their first records were both massively overratted turd piles.. but then they both put out shit i was unable to deny was dope afterwards...

so i appreciate the animal dudes for that if anything else.. Sung Tongs baby... leaf house is fuckin RETARDED dope song of the summer last year fo shizzle.

has anybody peeped this Vetiver joint? i got it sittin on the drive but i havent put it on yet...

• darendaren 28 Posts
    I liked Animal Collective's "Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished" almost more than "Sung Tongs", although the vocals are wayyy low on the mix. I think the problem I had with both "Sung Tongs" and "Here Comes The Indian" were the super long jams. They weren't bad per se, but they didn't seem to go anywhere.

Now Black Dice, their old old stuff is almost laughable. I kind of liked that 3-inch grind-style cd, but Beaches and Canyons was a very sweet LP. Also, Cone Toaster is a pretty undeniable dance song.

real heads will know what I mean when I say 'Daren'

has anybody peeped this Vetiver joint? i got it sittin on the drive but i havent put it on yet...

Vetiver is no joke. Really sharp song-writing. Along similar lines I need to mention the Espers album as well.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    that Vetiver album is a really nice folk album Dubious, definitly check it out. I only kinda like that Vashti Bunyan album, its a little too nursery rhyme sounding like somebody already mentioned. or kinda celtic sounding, I dunno. I like that Linda Perhacs album much more.

The little bit of the Animal Collective I have heard was cool, I need to check out more of their stuff.

Still haven't heard any Black Dice that sounded good to my ears. Or Joanna Newsome for that matter.

I can't get enough of Devandra Banhart though. Also check out Espers and Nick Castro, cool folk ish.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I think with some of these new artists, she just adds marquee value to their records, i.e. 'Look! Vashti Bunyan's on our CD. You can't hear her but her name can be read clearly on the cover!'

It goes both ways though. I had never heard of Vashti until Devendra Banhart mentioned her in a interview. Turned out I liked her music quite a bit. I think it's good that these young bands are exposing her music to thier audiance.

I can't get enough of Devandra Banhart though. Also check out Espers and Nick Castro, cool folk ish.

Banhart is tight and has excellent taste. Nick Castro is real tight and one hell of a friendly dude. Espers are pretty good but they take tooo damn long to soundcheck. Also, I can tell an emo kid when I see one-DON'T FAKE THE FOLK!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    B Nyce Sexy, I'm listening too a Robbie Basho lp right now, fuck a emo kid.

Never would I fake the folk!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    still have not yet checked animal collective or vashti, but let me add to what others said about VETIVER: that is an incredible fucking album... listen to it however but you should buy it if you dig, I know dude and I doubt his record is selling huge... also check him out live if you get an opportunity, the show is on point as hell...

vetiver is lumped in with davendra and newsome, and they all play together and are each others records, but honestly I can't stand either of them... sorry to be a hater but that stuff absolutely grates on my ears.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    robbie basho is the shit

i got this one the grail and the lotus

its crazy!

to add... takoma is cool label

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    i gotta agree. these new kids are definitely fakin the folk. i'm not impressed.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    im doing a 180 on the ac/vb collab. the one track is about a cat, and it sounds really good on headphones while cutting and marinating veggies

gonna peep this vetiver right now... thanks fer psychin me up.

yeah the Vetiver shit is dope.. definatly lived up to the recomedations... really really good.

B Nyce Sexy, I'm listening too a Robbie Basho lp right now, fuck a emo kid.

Never would I fake the folk!

oh no, not you son! that kid from Espers! dudies looks like weezer. they took 50 mins to soundcheck there 20 acoustic instruments [?????] so the Age had to go on cold. they were alright though.