vashti bunyan

2»

Comments

• long before espers & vetiver & davendra there was a band called P.G Six, their two albums are just incredible. The real thing.
    There was also Stone Breath.
    I dont know what all the fuss about Davendra is all about. For me it sounds like a Marc Bolan wannabe with horrible harp playing.

• darendaren 28 Posts
    long before espers & vetiver & davendra there was a band called P.G Six, their two albums are just incredible. The real thing.
    I dont know what all the fuss about Davendra is all about. For me it sounds like a Marc Bolan wannabe with horrible harp playing.

Haha...Some of Devendra's stuff really does sound like Marc Bolan's Tyrannosaurus Rex "Unicorn" album, which I'm pretty sure he was directly influenced by. I've heard good things about P.G. Six. Too band you can't find ANYTHING from that band here.

• long before espers & vetiver & davendra there was a band called P.G Six, their two albums are just incredible. The real thing.

Haha...Some of Devendra's stuff really does sound like Marc Bolan's Tyrannosaurus Rex "Unicorn" album, which I'm pretty sure he was directly influenced by. I've heard good things about P.G. Six. Too band you can't find ANYTHING from that band here.

http://amishrecords.com/

it seems that their vinyl albums are out of print, they were released as private-limited pressings.

• here's a good review od their "well of memory" album:

P.G. Six
    The Well of Memory
    ( Amish Records | Perhaps Transparent ) 2004

"What to make of a genuine hippie folk record? Compared to the hippie posturing that boutique labels and other fashion makers try to pass off as authentic these days, Pat Gubler's P.G. Six is indeed a breath of fresh mountain air. While most other psych-folk projects go too far off the trail, P.G. Six takes the worry out of the wandering by not only taking us down the winding path, but also by helping guide us through the psychic terrain.

"The Well Of Memory" draws heavily from the best aspects of The Incredible String Band as well as the Takoma Records catalog. In "Crooked Way" there are hints of John Fahey, but mostly we find Robbie Basho type chord ruminations - a variation on the bass note, Gubler plays the repetition until resistance to the picking pattern becomes impossible. "Three Stages of a Band" reveals a folk-jam (complete with Richard Thompson-esque Country Eastern electric guitar lines) that would make any ex-Fairport Convention member jealous. While many of the tracks are based in traditional folk music - i.e. built around a repeating guitar line or lyric, Gubler uses repetition to his advantage in more than one way. He bookends the album with drone/harp tracks entitled "Well of Memory Part I" and "Well of Memory Part II". These are the most abstract and formless of all the tracks (reminiscent of his Tower Recording NYC Loft experiments), but they are essential in setting the emotional tone for entire journey through the record. Clearly, the strong vocal melody on track 2 "Come In/The Winter is Past" hits even harder after six and half minutes of foggy feedback and minor key harp musings. On "Come In" and "Crooked Way", Helen Rush provides a lovely harmonic counterpoint to Gubler's understated vocal approach. She shines, however, on the album closer "Weeping Willow". The strength and purity of her voice recalls some of the legends of British folk such Anne Briggs, or Shirley Collins.

While current music magazines and online sources are heralding a new folk scene erupting in the United States, most of these artists disappoint. Unfortunately, these media outlets refer to a new breed of instant cult musician who loves to reference obscure folk music in interviews and photos shoots. Sadly, most have little or no skill at truly integrating or interpreting traditional folk into their pop template. Thankfully, Pat Gubler' P.G. Six is the real deal. "The Well of Memory" reveals a mastery of acoustic and electric instruments, thoughtful song arrangements, and an original synthesis of traditional folk music and modern themes."