Jane Jacobs - 1916 - 2006

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
"She was an unlikely intellectual warrior, a theorist who opposed most theories, a teacher with no teaching job and no university degree, a writer who wrote well but infrequently."
The author of the seminal The Death & Life of Great American Cities, passed away today. Leaving a legacy of simple yet conscise work. Although I might not agree w/ all her ideas, she stood for something that affected each and every one of us that has lived in a city. If interested, you can read more about her here.rip

Comments

• snosno 332 Posts
    I remember studying her seminal book inside out during the ist year of my university study. Bringing common sense to the city planning process is
    RIP.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    damn first Betty Friedan and now this?

2006 has not been good to our Jewish female intellectual population...

R.I.P. to her.

• HUSHHUSH 18 Posts
    Damn, She was one of the best. Death and Life was one of the books that inspired me to continue my studies of Urban Renewal and Economic Development. Her ideas inspired a whole generation of scholars and practitioners in the field. I recommend everyone read her work.

Jane Jacobs
    R.I.P. http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif
    frown

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I had a strange Jane Jacobs experience this morning... yesterday I bought Brenda Coultas' latest book, A Handmade Museum, which has a long poem about the history of the Bowery... In the introduction, she talks about how the poem is inspired by Jane's work and her definion of "A public character" - someone on the street who everyone knows and who knows everyone. Then today I get to work and see Jane's obit. spooked me out, like "another one dies/another one's born."

Jane was as right as Robert Moses was wrong.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    a very important person. that ruled.