Live albums that you just know aren't really live

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Offender No.1: Percy Sledge Live In South Africa - 1973 AtlanticExhibit A: Songs are pretty much all the studio recordings from his Atlantic LPsExhibit B: The same loop of applause/screaming fades in & out between tracks & even during some tracks at random times.Verdict: Guilty as charged. Although the snippets of Percy talking to the crowd between songs (over the same applause loop) are kinda amusing.Add on.....

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Offender No.3: James Brown Showtime

Exhibit B: The same loop of applause/screaming fades in & out between tracks & even during some tracks at random times.

Verdict: Guilty as charged. Usual great James Brown performences. Kind of a Louis Jordan tribute lp.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Offender No.3: James Brown Showtime

Exhibit B: The same loop of applause/screaming fades in & out between tracks & even during some tracks at random times.

Verdict: Guilty as charged. Usual great James Brown performences. Kind of a Louis Jordan tribute lp.

There's a JB discog that notes which live records are actually recorded live and which aren't... all later falsifications are totally excused by the original LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1963 however, the greatest live album ever released.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i'm that at least the "got to give it up" side of Marvin Gaye "Live at the London Palladium" is a studio take.

i'm that at least the "got to give it up" side of Marvin Gaye "Live at the London Palladium" is a studio take.

That side wasn't intended to be considered live, its the bonus single with the album...

• Bobby Byrd - 'I Need Help' lp sounds very sketchy.

• 13th Floor Elevators Live

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've heard the Seeds Merlin's Magic Box or whatever
    live LP is fake - I have it but I can't tell, at least it
    doesn't sound like the album versions over fake crowd noises,
    so I assume it is "live in the studio."

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Dizzy Gillespie - Live Sweet Soul

When I first got this I thought, wow another great Soul-Jazz album by Dizzy. Then after listening to it a couple times everything sounded very familiar. Turns out to be a repackaged version of Dizz's Soul & Salvation LP with fake applause added.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=235

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    some of those early live kool and the gang records sounded fake.

the live songs on gnr lies are just old demos edited to fake crowd noise.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    best "live" ablum evar

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    the make-up - live at cold rice! is definitely not live.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Please, Please, Please - Ike & Tina Turner Revue[/b]

Overdubbed Beatlemania screams and sloppy edits galore.

Live & Lively - Joe Tex[/b]
    Live - B.B. King [/b]

Now these were slightly more inventive...in both cases they brought an audience into the studio to overdub their shouts and screams on top of these studio recordings...to their credit, the crowds respond where they're supposed to, but even then, there's something out of sync that you can't put your finger on...even if you've heard these same songs minus the live audience, it still sounds extremely "off."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Live - B.B. King [/b]

Now these were slightly more inventive...in both cases they brought an audience into the studio to overdub their shouts and screams on top of these studio recordings...to their credit, the crowds respond where they're supposed to, but even then, there's something out of sync that you can't put your finger on...even if you've heard these same songs minus the live audience, it still sounds extremely "off."

Speaking of live in the studio and James Brown, what about Say It Loud? He brought in kids off the street to sing the chours and created a great live sound.

Live - B.B. King [/b]

Speaking of live in the studio and James Brown, what about Say It Loud? He brought in kids off the street to sing the chours and created a great live sound.

"Say It Loud" always sounded to me like what it was - a bunch of people in the studio yelling. I never thought of it as a live record, personally.

What I didn't know, at least not until I read JB's autobio, was that the kids he used were all white and Asian. And he had to go to a nearby Denny's (!) to find them!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    That side wasn't intended to be considered live, its the bonus single with the album...

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    for the metal strutters:

Kiss Alive I

the crowd is from the Cobo Arena shows, but most of the record was re-recorded at Electric Ladyland.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    best "live" ablum evar

why the ronic quotes? that record is leginately live (as are it's sequals and MOST of "pure dynomite" ("oh baby don't you weep" is studio...)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    judas priest- unleashed in the studio

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

best "live" ablum evar

That's an actual live recording

some of those early live kool and the gang records sounded fake.

PJ's is definitely fake, I don't know about the other one... (never heard it)

best "live" ablum evar

why the ronic quotes? that record is leginately live (as are it's sequals)

Except Live At The Apollo 1995. Mostly live, but "Living In America" is definitely the studio take with crowd noise added (there may be more, but I haven't played it in a while).

Except Live At The Apollo 1995. Mostly live, but "Living In America" is definitely the studio take with crowd noise added (there may be more, but I haven't played it in a while).

I take it you mean all his live records from the Apollo are real? Cuz he definitely had some fake ones... SEX MACHINE for example

I take it you mean all his live records from the Apollo are real?

Yeah, the original poster specified the Apollo records (that's the way I took it when they mentioned the "sequels").

Cuz he definitely had some fake ones... SEX MACHINE for example

Sides one and two. The third and fourth sides sound genuine.

Super Bad, on the other hand, sounds doctored all the way through.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This is kinda half in/half out of this category, but some tracks on Wattstax were recreated in the studio. I think it was due to some problems with the master recorded on site.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    best "live" ablum evar

why the ronic quotes? that record is leginately live (as are it's sequals)

I thought most of the audience noise was, at least, enhanced...while the sequence was a legit live recording.

This is kinda half in/half out of this category, but some tracks on Wattstax were recreated in the studio. I think it was due to some problems with the master recorded on site.

Long before the movie was reissued, I used to wonder if that whole album was doctored. The crowd noise sounds mighty tinny, considering that it was recorded in a football field in front of half-a-million people.

(I later learned that certain tracks were recorded in a nightclub, and that one of the Emotions' selections was waxed in a church. As far as the stadium recordings...there was so much Astroturf separating the audience from the show that the crowd nise didn't come through too clearly.)

• for the metal strutters:

Kiss Alive I

the crowd is from the Cobo Arena shows, but most of the record was re-recorded at Electric Ladyland.

You just blew the mind of the 14-year-old me.

Next you'll tell me that those aren't really letters from the band on the inside of the gatefold.