ive lost all my creativity.

2»

Comments

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Take a heavy dose of LSD and call grandma ........ She???ll inspire you every time

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I have 50 thousand records, a complete recording studio and all the time in the world. I haven't made a beat in almost a year. I used to make about five beats a day when I fist got my sp-1200 in 88 and had like 10 crates of records. I can't say why or why not it is this way but it is.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude i think i need to clean my room too!
    maybe that's my problem. i don't even have my mpc hooked up because i had to make room for more shit that i should probably just throw away or something

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Its weird, I find that I get the most creative, and excited to work on beats when I have a ton of other shit to do. Like when I'm supposed to be studying for finals, I get really into making beats. Then when I have nothing on my plate, I can't really get motivated.

this is true with me too

additionally, sometimes if im out working or doing some task, i'll get really excited about going home and working on beats...then when i'm finally done, i usually just get home, watch a dvd or go to bed or something.
    this shit is my biggest problem and so far i haven't figured a way around it. ill be at work or school and thinking of all kinds of mad flavors and styles and shit and then when i get home im either too tired or just don't feel like working on shit. it really sucks. one thing i did was write down ideas in my school notebook or on some shit at work so i at least don't forget stuff. even if i have a bunch of ideas sometimes i can't get motivated to start on anything but reading a whole list helps sometimes.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts

Personally, I'm most creative when I'm sleep deprived or dozing off.

probably a bad thing but i too find i'm at my most creative when i cant sleep or stoned in that kinda 'mind racing don't know wot i want to do' buzz. i've always used writing,drawing,music etc to calm an overactive mind. when i'm chilled and satisfied i don't feel the urge, dats a bitch. i never got into beatmakin but i've always thought it must be a unique process. when i throw something down on a page-thats it-done. the nature of beatmakin makes you scrutinize every step of the way... i guess wot i'm tryin to say is, deprive urself of sleep, then hit a bong, then tear into wot ur doin and don't stop to analyse coz you lose your flow. terrible advice i kno, but i've been awake for 40 hours.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    I have 50 thousand records

if you give me all but 10 crates, i gaurantee you'll be back makin hot shit.

but seriously i think as you improve your appreciation of music, you realise maybe you aint got wot it takes to stand up against those cats in your collection.
    thats wot i found anyway.
    50k! motherfucker....

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    does this mean it's time for a SS beatoff?

A...YO...?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    when i started making beats more seriously on my dr. sample back in 2001 or so, it was ridiculous how i could just churn shit out and be totally satisfied, even now some of the stuff sounds pretty creative...

now its 2006, two records out, 84978989% more records in my collection than before, the ability to go all out on cooledit, and its like...i dont even know where to begin.

additionally, i just wanna...do something new with this shit, but i dont know how. because...i want it to be kinda..you know, somethin new, but at the same time it has to be something i really like.

is it possible to just stop even being creative? or am i just in a rut?

Dude.

When I'm in that kind of situation theres only thing to do and thats get inspired.

I'll watch some DVDs, like the product placement or new PUTS... just something with dudes really killin it.. having fun and going all out for what they're doing.. I tend to find I get that generates some motivation inside me and I can start making some music.

I rmember once I was in a complete lull.... hadn't done shit for months and I went to a Kid Koala show and BOOM... that was the spark... just like that, I did like 4 tracks.

Just spend some time enjoying something that inspires you and wait for the motivation to hit you man.

Soul 69 inspired me a shitload. I was glad that at last there was someone coming out who was doing that Jadell / Wiseguys style that I thought had been lost.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    how about some exercise?

can do wonders

• how about some exercise?

can do wonders

Cycling, dude. Nice long bike ride. I try to get out 5 days a week. I go on a path a lot of times, so I don't have to worry about traffic...some folls rock the iPod, but fuck that noise. Let the wind blow by your ears, and just listen to the pedals turn. Very medative. After 15 mintues, you won't even think about what you're doing. Your mind will wander FAR away.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I have 50 thousand records, a complete recording studio and all the time in the world. I haven't made a beat in almost a year. I used to make about five beats a day when I fist got my sp-1200 in 88 and had like 10 crates of records. I can't say why or why not it is this way but it is.

same for me (except for the 50.000 records ), what it boils down to is too many options = low creativity. If your options are limited you got to be creative (your sp is a good example... in terms of functions and sample time it is extremely limited but it produced some of the best beats ever). Another thing that works for me is focus. I can't get shit done when I'm working on school stuff unles I turn off my modem / tv / whatever.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Soul 69 inspired me a shitload. I was glad that at last there was someone coming out who was doing that Jadell / Wiseguys style that I thought had been lost.

wow, thanks...actually, i havent been listening to ANYTHING like that lately, and maybe thats the problem. im gonna load up my car with shit like that before work, maybe it will help.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    The first thing you are doing wrong is asserting that you have indeed lost your creativity.

this is a negative outlook, and it will not serve you well.

Next, you need to understand that its all about drawing inspiration from your source, and that the ability to do so is always with you.

beyond that you just have to work through it. DOnt let yourself stop. Everyone has creativity blocks, but you have to keep working.

also, clean your room. And smoke some trees.