graf documentaries

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i'm abit out of the loop on these things. need some quality suggestions from anyone who knows.seen:wild stylestyle warsneed: newer stuff. old school - mid school - new school graf documentaries.please let me know any good ones that i could get on dvd, vhs, online whatev?thanks,

Comments

• also, any well "documented" graf videos.

cheers,

• There was this french documentary called "writers" which was pretty good including Bando, Mode 2 etc....

Check it.

Dress

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Stations Of The Elevated

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    There is a fairly new documentary called "Infamy", made by Doug Pray of "Scratch" fame. Havn't seen it but it could be pretty good. Features SAber, Enem, Claw, Toomer, Earsnot, Jase and is shot around NY, Philly, SF, and LA.

• "Classic hits"

I havent seen it though so I guess that doesnt make a realheadz...

Should be cool though... NYC 70s trains.

Dress

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    don??t sleep on this:
    http://www.writeandunite.com/

...more hall of fames than hardcore bombings

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Dirty Handz is a good french one

• thanks for the suggestions.

BANDO is philip lehman of DESCO/SOULFIRE records nyc. heavyweight funk collector, dude has everything and beyond. he got into funk after he stopped doing graf. some of the records he turned up over the years i'll find in other's collections (after philip sold it on) that have BANDO written on the label.

• There is a fairly new documentary called "Infamy", made by Doug Pray of "Scratch" fame. Havn't seen it but it could be pretty good. Features SAber, Enem, Claw, Toomer, Earsnot, Jase and is shot around NY, Philly, SF, and LA.

saw this at the Hip Hop Film Festival at UCLA a couple months ago... definitely worth a watch. its less focused on graffiti as an art itself than it is on the lives of the writers (and in the case of joe conelly, anti-writer) and how being a writer has affected it. so if you're looking for a film on graffitti history and techniques and what not, this isn't it. but if you liked "hype!" and "scratch", you'll definitely like this.

• There is a fairly new documentary called "Infamy", made by Doug Pray of "Scratch" fame. Havn't seen it but it could be pretty good. Features SAber, Enem, Claw, Toomer, Earsnot, Jase and is shot around NY, Philly, SF, and LA.

This one sounds pretty dope. Best things on graffiti are online. Look for interviews on old artists from the 70's and 80's in NY and late 80's and early 90's in LA.

Both are whole different sections of graff. You get the trains and walls in NY and the buses and freeways in LA. 50mmlosangeles.com is dope and you should also see seenworld.com. I think that's the name if not just look for Seen One on google or something.

I haven't really looked for graff things in a minute so I would have to think a bit to really give you some good sites.

• Avoid ROCK FRESH, its total crap. Boring as batshit.

INFAMY is poor as well. I saw a rough cut & it wasn't much chop.

NEXT is a new one about international writers.
    I know Sixtoo aka Silvertone on here did the soundtrack for it.

The WRITERS one from France is pretty good.
    As to is

The FUTURE OF GRAFFITI is pretty dope. Its one of the rare vids taht actually has atalented writer dislaying 'how tos'. If that's your steez.
    the latest WRITERS BENCH is

The 2nd NOT GUILTY DVD is Production values are high & its entertaining.

STATE MY NAME is pure rugged street bombing. Just tags & throw-ups. With an 'I don't give a fuck attitude. Can get a bit tiring listening to some of the arrogant cunts in the vid. With their 'come to Brooklyn & we'll fuck you up' bullshit...
    The bus standoff was gold though. Dude still painting the side of a bus while the driver stands, um, er watches helplessly...

Another SS member MORDECAI also did a mix for an upcoming DVD.

I'm waiting for the WRITE4GOLD 2005 DVD. Should be crazy...

QUALITY OF LIFE is the latest feature film about writers.
    Looks better than BOMB THE SYSTEM.

There's about 4 other upcoming docos on Graffiti. C
    an't recall offhand the names...

Waiting for the German film WHOLECAR to get a DVD release. Not a doco, but a full on feature film. Apparently the Polish Govt let them paint their trains to add authenticity. Its all been made by people in the scene. The director is an old school graff writer from Berlin who learnt filmmaking in NY.

• benjaminbenjamin 30 Posts
    "Classic hits"

I havent seen it though so I guess that doesnt make a realheadz...

Should be cool though... NYC 70s trains.

Dress

yeah, "Classic Hits" is cool, but from what I remember it's only about 10/15 minutes long, it's just some old super-8 footage of trains running with a couple of songs playing, no commentary or anything.....
    "Terror Fabulous" DVD by NT crew from England is dope....has anyone here seen "Piece By Piece", i think it's a history of San Francisco graf?

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    saw this at the Hip Hop Film Festival at UCLA a couple months ago...
    definitely worth a watch. its less focused on graffiti as an art itself than it is
    on the lives of the writers (and in the case of joe conelly, anti-writer) and how
    being a writer has affected it. so if you're looking for a film on graffitti history
    and techniques and what not, this isn't it. but if you liked "hype!" and "scratch",
    you'll definitely like this.

I'd like to second this. I just saw it this past weekend and it was really good. That Joe Connolly character alone was worth the price of admission.
    You could do worse than dig up 'Kings and Toys', too. That's a pretty modern thing from Europe.

(1st post! )

• "NEXT is a new one about international writers.
    I know Sixtoo aka Silvertone on here did the soundtrack for it."

Thanks for the bumps hommie, Pablo worked real hard on it, and I think it shows.
    peep: http://www.nextthemovie.com

• Not documentaries but I got these two books within the last month or two.

A must for any T Kid fan or any fan of the subway train movement.

I haven't read this yet, but is looks good. A hardcore freight head told me he liked it but it just scratches the surface, I guess you can't impress everyone. Nice freight flicks throughout though, brought back a lot of memories.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Yeah I heard about Pice by Piece and I heard from a lot of reputable heads that it's really good. The Frisco graff scene was raw as fuck so that shit shouldn't disappoint.

State Your Name has some good grimey street shit as mentioned. Any old Conart video is worth a watch (good luck finding them). While You Were Sleeping occasionally has graffiti on their videos (how sad it used to be a full on graff mag). FeelMode is one that I worked on music for that is pure graff start to finish (part 2 is coming out soon and looks way better than part 1), War 1-3 are decent graff videos. None of these are actual documentaries though. Like if you're looking for some kind of intelligent interpretation of the art form, better stick to style wars and shit like that.

• check out this dutch graff site geelblauw.nl ..they have a pretty good video section with lots of documetaries.
    peace.

• Check out the new book by and about Fuzz - old school head from NYC. Lots of stuff I havent seen before...

Charles Mingus did the music for "stations of the elevated". Was it never released or was it done exclusively for this film?

Im also looking forward to Martha Coopers book with the best of her graffiti shots.

Hopefully Henry will also do another one with all the unseen photos. Check also the On the Run Blackbooks by Seen. Crazy stuff!

Chill,

Dress

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    i used to get Graf TV videos through mixtape trades back in high school. They were ok, not as good as the docs though.

• stay away from movies or feature film types. they all suck.

all of them.

• benjaminbenjamin 30 Posts
    Check out the new book by and about Fuzz - old school head from NYC. Lots of stuff I havent seen before...

yeah, i'd second that, great book!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i used to get Graf TV videos through mixtape trades back in high school. They were ok, not as good as the docs though.
    I was in one of those from 96...

gotta see the first two On the Go videos. They are really the only documents of Philly graf that I've ever seen. Estro, and Cornbread are really some of the biggest pioneers and most criminally slept on names in the game. Philly is home of the DJ and writer.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    And an old Oz doco called 'Sprayed Conflict' as done in the mid nineties. Not sure how you'e get a hold of it atm, I think the DVD is still in the works to be re released.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The deluxe version of this game has a doc on CURRENT graf cats. It's real gully. But you'd have to cop this game.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Another SS member MORDECAI also did a mix for an upcoming DVD.
    as promised...

now on YouTube...my section from Untitled Productions' forthcoming "Wrightside Up" graf vid:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

download just the audio mix here:
    doublestandardcrew.com/releases/wrightside.html

tracklisting:
    1. RUSH - Tom Sawyer
    2. Stanley Turrentine - Hope That We Can Be Together Soon
    3. Linda Clifford - Never Gonna Stop
    4. Donny Hathaway - Little Ghetto Boy
    5. Tavares - Bad Times
    6. Patrice Rushen - Remind Me
    7. Commodores - Cebu
    8. Jimmy McGriff - Tapioca
    9. Quincy Jones - Along Came Betty
    10. Bob James - Storm King
    11. Alan Parsons Project - A Dream Within A Dream
    12. Ronnie Laws - Fever
    13. Love Unlimited Orchestra - Midnight Groove
    14. Ohio Players - Pride and Vanity
    15. Blue Mitchell - Delilah
    16. Jimmy McGriff - Back on Track
    17. Sylvia Striplin - You Can't Turn Me Away
    18. Grover Washingon, Jr. - Hydra
    19. Hamilton Bohannon - Save Their Souls
    20. Gwen McCrae - Rockin' Chair
    21. Kraftwerk - Man Machine
    22. Jimmy Spicer - Dollar Bill Yall

• Co-sign on the "On the Go" videos. "Repeat Offender" is a classic and needs to be released on DVD.

"Tales From the Rails" is a great freight train graf documentary my homie Monty put together.
    I believe it's available through the store at http://lifesucksdie.com

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Co-sign on the "On the Go" videos.
    Damn, it's been at least 7 years since I saw those videos.
    Too bad that I won't ever find them again.