Where is Swizz Beats on your GOAT producer list?

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Bring em out
    Touch it
    Check on it
    I'm A Hustla
    Money Cash Hoes
    Jigga my Nigga

also, 'produced' the new york shit joint by busta that dudes were getting sweaty over on here recently.

Thank you. I can now concur with our resident yachtsman.

he doesn't belong anywhere near any kind of an alltime top ten list.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    [honest request]Can we have a list of Swizz-produced jams for those of us who can think of at least 6 beats from every other producer named in this thread but who are having a hard time thinking of even one from Swizz? Thanks.[/honest request]

back then,

busta - tear the roof off
    jay z - money cash hoes
    (a majority of the ruff ryder stuff)

more recently,

ti - bring em out
    busta - touch it
    cassidy - i'm a hustler

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

jay z - money cash hoes aka the bang on the Triton with a hammer track.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    somewhere near the bottom

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

True! But I think that's the only track by swizz i like. That and "Touch it" and i like that one Eve joint - with the "latin" pre-set.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    [honest request]Can we have a list of Swizz-produced jams for those of us who can think of at least 6 beats from every other producer named in this thread but who are having a hard time thinking of even one from Swizz? Thanks.[/honest request]

back then,

busta - tear the roof off
    jay z - money cash hoes
    (a majority of the ruff ryder stuff)

more recently,

ti - bring em out
    busta - touch it
    cassidy - i'm a hustler

also that Smitty joint "diamonds on my neck" oh and the first Remy Ma single from the new record, can't remember the name...

the thing with Swizz is that he blew up on shit like "money, cash, hoes", "tear da roof off" , "ruff ryders theme", which were all EXTREMELY simple songs in terms of melody and harmony (and NO chord progressions to speak of)... they were much more like rhythms than songs, but the rhythms (and pre-school melodies) on them were so fucking catchy, they were huge hits.

then he was gone for a few years and now suddenly he has these songs like "check on it" and "diamonds on my neck" with fully fleshed out chords, as well as chord changes. i honestly think the best of Swizz is yet to come, to an extant i wouldn't say about ANY other producer out there. dude has actually learned music after he was already famous as a musician and his tracks now have a sense of melody and low end that few people have (and not in a corny scott storch way...)

that said, with what he's done up until now, he's def. not top 10. Prolly top 25...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ruff Ryders Anthem?

Money Cash Hoes?

"Good Times"

Dude has classics under his belt. stop fronting.

• Ruff Ryders Anthem?

Money Cash Hoes?

GTFOOHWTBS

is there something not cool about banging on a triton with a hammer? Fill me in, cause to me that sounds like a good idea.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    dude deserves more respect than he's getting on this board...not a top 10 guy though...top 20 status in my book.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Personally, i think you gotta at least give the dude top 10. Nearly a decade of straight hits and hes still under 30. Its hard to front on that man.

post your thoughts.

No.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Too many corny synth heavy beats, i get sick of hearing the same synth sounds all the time, and synth horns are NEVER a good luck...
    The same applies to Mannie Fresh, Lil Jon, and countless others...

• Ruff Ryders Anthem?

Money Cash Hoes?

"Good Times"

oh he is sooo ill!!

if you gave him a sampler would he even know where to begin

another cat who makes minimal beats with strictly stock sounds, dude cant play keys period...he got lucky with his timing as far as the game goes.
    top 10 list of all time ??? wow !!!! shit is depressing

seriously...what has swizz done FULL LENGTH wise ? uhhhh i thought so
    fuck singles

i can barely bring myself to post on here anymore

another cat who makes minimal beats with strictly stock sounds, dude cant play keys period...

you sound like my jazz musician friends when i try to tell them RZA or Pete Rock is a musician... it's all relative, but it sounds silly on a hip hop level to talk about who is or isn't a real musician or who can properly play keys, b/c in the general scheme of musicianship, almost no one in hip hop qualifies...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    in the general scheme of musicianship, almost no one in hip hop qualifies...

GET THEW FUCK OUTTA HERE. ART HAS NO RULES!!!!!!!!!

Ruff Ryders Anthem?

Money Cash Hoes?

"Good Times"

oh he is sooo ill!!

another cat who makes minimal beats with strictly stock sounds, dude cant play keys period...he got lucky with his timing as far as the game goes.

fuck singles

hahaha, you should know that 99% percent of my posts on here are just because i enjoy this sort of reaction from yall.

Ruff Ryders Anthem?

Money Cash Hoes?

"Good Times"

oh he is sooo ill!!

fuck singles

plus!....

1. there are many producers that can play keys like crazy, but cant make a hot beat to save their life. its all about your ear.

2. Swizz does his thang with a sampler. check out that short eyes bite on the last jadakiss album, cant tell me that wasnt hot.

yeah, no shit, that's what i said:

you sound like my jazz musician friends when i try to tell them RZA or Pete Rock is a musician... it's all relative, but it sounds silly on a hip hop level to talk about who is or isn't a real musician or who can properly play keys, b/c in the general scheme of musicianship, almost no one in hip hop qualifies...

i don't care how ANYONE makes music, i'm just saying it sound silly to say Swizz is lame b/c "he can't play keys" ...um, by jazz or classical standards, 95% of people currently producing "can't play keys"... i mean, i can't think of that many keyboard/organ/rhodes/etc parts on hip hop records (that aren't sampled) that make me say "oh shit" the way Johnny Hammond Smith makes me say "oh shit"...

as for

...don't kill the messenger. i don't invent the "general scheme of musicianship." i'm saying if you wanted to go to Berklee or Julliard and said "i have no knowledge of music theory, don't know any scales, can't read music, can't read chord charts, can't sing, can't play an instrument, but i chop up other people's music using this MPC!" they probably wouldn't accept you. whether that's bullshit or not is a debate for another thread.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Personally, i think you gotta at least give the dude top 10. Nearly a decade of straight hits and hes still under 30. Its hard to front on that man.

post your thoughts.

No.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

What Stacks said.

post your thoughts.

No.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

What Stacks said.

LOL! just no? Werent you guys even feeling the cut on the t.i. album?

Plus, he basicly pioneered the style of putting whistle sounds all over the place! How can you guys be hating on whistle sounds?

I think he also made "where the hood at". Next thing you are gonna tell me you dont like that either.

• I think he also made "where the hood at". Next thing you are gonna tell me you dont like that either.

...um, by jazz or classical standards, 95% of people currently producing "can't play keys"... i mean, i can't think of that many keyboard/organ/rhodes/etc parts on hip hop records (that aren't sampled) that make me say "oh shit" the way Johnny Hammond Smith makes me say "oh shit"...

its sunday...and after a night of not playing any top 40 bullshit, it feels good..so with that..

plenty of producers in hip hop qualify my man...why would you compare a cat like johnny hammond to any hip hop producer ?? why are you stuck on this jazz/classical comparison kick ?
    my point is..if you cant really play your instrument ..it will get real boring, real quick.

Cmon..dude came out the gate with a song from a preset..we were all tricked at first..only to find out dude couldnt even play that shit.

swizz makes shit for fucking aerobics work out tybo instructors...

he had a few singles that were good..thats all

this is hip hop...get it straight...shit was built on breaks, period. If a producer is going to base his sound on a no sample - keyboard beat basis..sorry..i think they should at least know SOME chords !
    There is nothing wrong with beats that are sparse and simple..but every single beat he does is like that.. There are other producers in the same circle that swizz is in, that actually know how to play the triton, that swizz loves so dearly.
    When swizz makes some full length shit like it death certificate or it takes a nation...only built for cuban links..low end thery..etc..let me know. Dude is the furthest thing from being diverse..one style is his style.The notion of him being in your top 10 is suspect. Go back to school
    Really i dont even know why i get sucked into this shit...i could really give a fuck about hip hop at this point..fortunately for me i was born early enough to have witnessed first hand the best times hip hop has ever had.

bsides..put your pom poms down and stop cheerleading for this guy...

the greatest producer alive is quincy jones

I think he also made "where the hood at". Next thing you are gonna tell me you dont like that either.

...um, by jazz or classical standards, 95% of people currently producing "can't play keys"... i mean, i can't think of that many keyboard/organ/rhodes/etc parts on hip hop records (that aren't sampled) that make me say "oh shit" the way Johnny Hammond Smith makes me say "oh shit"...

its sunday...and after a night of not playing any top 40 bullshit, it feels good..so with that..

plenty of producers in hip hop qualify my man...why would you compare a cat like johnny hammond to any hip hop producer ?? why are you stuck on this jazz/classical comparison kick ?
    my point is..if you cant really play your instrument ..it will get real boring, real quick.

Cmon..dude came out the gate with a song from a preset..we were all tricked at first..only to find out dude couldnt even play that shit.

this is hip hop...get it straight...shit was built on breaks, period. If a producer is going to base his sound on a no sample - keyboard beat basis..sorry..i think they should at least know SOME chords !
    There is nothing wrong with beats that are sparse and simple..but every single beat he does is like that.. There are other producers in the same circle that swizz is in, that actually know how to play the triton, that swizz loves so dearly.
    When swizz makes some full length shit like it death certificate or it takes a nation...only built for cuban links..low end thery..etc..let me know. Dude is the furthest thing from being diverse..one style is his style.The notion of him being in your top 10 is suspect. Go back to school
    Really i dont even know why i get sucked into this shit...i could really give a fuck about hip hop at this point..fortunately for me i was born early enough to have witnessed first hand the best times hip hop has ever had.

Swizz Beats > Old School hip hop.

Smashing presets with a hammer > Stealing stuff off old records.

dude, he does know some chords, check "diamonds on my neck"... that is one of the best chord progressions i've heard on a track for a while... dope minor chords... again, alot of the tracks Swizz has done in the last year or so, like Whateva by Remy Ma, are NOT sparse at all... (and actually sound like they use samples!)

swizz has been off the "one pre-set" sound for years now... like, i said, he obviously went back and learned to play/write music for real, b/c shit like "check on it" is really well arranged... you saying "hip hop needs breaks" is an elistist statement no different than someone else saying "most hip hop producers aren't real musicians." they are silly arbitrary lines, no matter where you draw them. that's why i brought Johnny Hammond in... you said "swizz can't play keys", which is totally relative. Swizz can obviously play SOME keys, as he had a bunch of hits that were obviously made on a keyboard. If he can't play keys as well as
    other hip hop producers, who cares, b/c compared to actual keyboard players, THEY can't play well... what matters is the way the record sounds, not your preconceptions on how the record was made...

lastly, i never said Swizz was top 10, i said he was probably top 25... i bought Straight Outta Compton, 3 Feet High and Rising, Fear of Black Planet all right when they came out... wore the tapes out... just b/c Swizz doesn't sound like that, doesn't mean he doesn't make good music... as for the albums thing, swizz produces tracks, not LP's... tons of funk dudes made dope 45's, but never made a great LP, doesn't make the 45's any less good...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like how dudes get all hurt about shit when topics like this arise, as if giving Swizz any sort of credit for anything that he's done will only serve to undermine the "foundation" of what "real hip-hop" is about.

It takes all kinds. And Swizz has got some shit.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    GET IT ON THE FLOOR GET IT-GET IT ON THE FLOOR
    DIAMONDS ON MY NECK DI-DIAMONDS ON MY NECK

Can't say Swizzy don't know how to make 'em lose their minds up in here up in here though!
    How high you would rate him depends on who you are, I guess. Real headz? He ain't gonna rate. Dudes who love most popular rap music of the past ten years? I guess he's gotta rate, doesn't he? Well, maybe not since he's from New York.
    Personally I ain't gonna rate him real high, but I respect what he does for what it is and I like some of that bullschitt. Even if I ain't feelin' a dude's music too much, I still gotta give him respect if he's consistently winning with his formula, for whatever reason. He's obviously doing something right, maybe I just ain't gettin' it.
    I agree, though, that out of the top producers of the past 10 years Kanye, Neptunes, Timberland and Mannie Fresh come before Swizz. Just Blaze? Of course I think he's way better than Swizz, but I don't know if he ranks ahead of him based on who had the bigger records.

One thing to remember when rating this dude: he took his DMX money and bought a muthafuckin' fire engine to cruise around the hood in a few years ago. That's got to earn him some extra points.

Can't say Swizzy don't know how to make 'em lose their minds up in here up in here though!
    How high you would rate him depends on who you are, I guess. Real headz? He ain't gonna rate. Dudes who love most popular rap music of the past ten years? I guess he's gotta rate, doesn't he? Well, maybe not since he's from New York.
    Personally I ain't gonna rate him real high, but I respect what he does for what it is and I like some of that bullschitt. Even if I ain't feelin' a dude's music too much, I still gotta give him respect if he's consistently winning with his formula, for whatever reason. He's obviously doing something right, maybe I just ain't gettin' it.
    I agree, though, that out of the top producers of the past 10 years Kanye, Neptunes, Timberland and Mannie Fresh come before Swizz. Just Blaze? Of course I think he's way better than Swizz, but I don't know if he ranks ahead of him based on who had the bigger records.

One thing to remember when rating this dude: he took his DMX money and bought a muthafuckin' fire engine to cruise around the hood in a few years ago. That's got to earn him some extra points.

Just blaze rates way ahead of swizz.

thank you for a rational response.

• this is hip hop...get it straight...shit was built on breaks, period. If a producer is going to base his sound on a no sample - keyboard beat basis..sorry..i think they should at least know SOME chords !

dude, he does know some chords, check "diamonds on my neck"... that is one of the best chord progressions i've heard on a track for a while... dope minor chords... again, alot of the tracks Swizz has done in the last year or so, like Whateva by Remy Ma, are NOT sparse at all... (and actually sound like they use samples!)

you saying "hip hop needs breaks" is an elistist statement no different than someone else saying "most hip hop producers aren't real musicians."
    tons of funk dudes made dope 45's, but never made a great LP, doesn't make the 45's any less good...

Where did i ever say.."hip hop needs breaks" ?? thought so...if anything im a purist.

Tons of funk dudes made dope 45s... another shitty comparison ..THEY ACTUALLY PLAY INSTRUMENTS
    to me if your going to rate a producer in the top 10 goat...i would hope the criteria includes making a dope lp.I guess not tho..

Bsides, you would love my throw away beats from 94 ...duh duh di da da duh duh duh

rap is a wrap
    btw this thread was posted by somebody who thinks young jeezy is up there with the best of em...dudes not even an mc !

" I DONT CARE" - milk d

• GET IT ON THE FLOOR GET IT-GET IT ON THE FLOOR

btw ...phill your posts are always the best

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

btw ...phill your posts are always the best

Thanks, K*n... you know I'm pretty much in agreement with you, but I still do try to look at things from the perspective of these current-rap-loving-lames (j/k, j/k).
    Man, I just remember back when Swizz first started hitting with those DMX and Jay-Z joints... I'd be at the record shows and many well-known "real head" producers would be talking about Swizz with straight up disgust! Some would still grudgingly give him respect, saying his beats were technically wack but they sounded right for DMX's style. But boy, they would talk about Swizz and those Triton beats like dude from the "Spirit of Truth" video talking about the devil.