Where is Swizz Beats on your GOAT producer list?

Comments

• On To The Next > Exhibit A & C?

• used to hate him, but now i like him.

SWIZZY!

• Quietly got engaged to Alicia Keys this past week too.
    Weird I always thought she was a lesbian.

• Quietly got engaged to Alicia Keys this past week too.

tri-sexual

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Quietly got engaged to Alicia Keys this past week too.

triton[/b]-sexual

• Where is Swizz Beats on your GOAT producer list?

He's not.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "New York Shit" and "Dr. Carter" are long loops off of the same comp. Swizz might have the og's, but what a coincidence.

Apologies if this was mentioned already, I didnt read the entire thing.

The fact the people still try to give a shit about this is kinda quaint in 2010.

If you're somebody who wants to hear new sample-based music those cuts should make you happy... where the source material came from doesn't make the songs sound any different.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    "New York Shit" and "Dr. Carter" are long loops off of the same comp. Swizz might have the og's, but what a coincidence.

Apologies if this was mentioned already, I didnt read the entire thing.

The fact the people still try to give a shit about this is kinda quaint in 2010.

If you're somebody who wants to hear new sample-based music those cuts should make you happy... where the source material came from doesn't make the songs sound any different.

wait a minute? Swizz sampled two songs off the same Compilation for 2 different songs? Add to that the fact that he might not be in possession OF THE ORIGINAL PRESSINGS?!!?!?!

I take it all back, swizz is the worst producer ever.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

Alchemist > Prince Paul?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i am curious what he'll be doing in 5 years in a way i'm not about, say, the Neptunes...

so?

ok, i'll bite...

well, i can't think of the last new pharrell song i bumped or heard out...

at least i have heard some swizz stuff out, but i haven't been feeling any of it too much... "Give Away A Million Bucks" "he's phoney, she's fake"... both are bangers, but pretty forgettable...

now, IT's ME, BITCHS was my shit...

and to wrap this thread all around itself, Swizz does seem to be sampling alot recently:

• I don't see how someone could say a single repetitive keyboard line with some chanting and drum presets is one iota more creative than finding an obscure sample and arranging it in a novel fashion.

"a single repetitive keyboard line with some chanting and drum presets" - are you talking about planet rock?

that was made by banging on a jupiter 8 with a hammer

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    what the F*ck is a 'swizz beat' anyway?
    always sounded like some sherbet candy ish to me

And in answer to the op: he is in the 'nowhere' category on my goat list.
    fo 'swizzle.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

1. Mannie Fresh
    2. Juicy J
    3. Pimp C
    4. DJ Quik
    5. Khayree
    6. Kurtis Mantronik
    7. Rick Rock
    8. Salih Williams
    9. Mike Dean
    10. Mr. Lee
    11. DJ Toomp
    12. JT tha Bigga Figga
    13. DJ Slip
    14. Droop-E
    15. Riddlore

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

14. Droop-E

Yo, I've always been digging that Hi-Ho beat.

15. Riddlore

Was this guy one of the Elves from Lord Of The Rings?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    harvey really
    of all time no one from the above quoted list cracks your top 15

i feel you on mannie and quik but droop-e vs peterock
    seriously

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    harvey really
    of all time no one from the above quoted list cracks your top 15

i feel you on mannie and quik but droop-e vs peterock
    seriously

Obviously, I listed 15 producers who hadn't been mentioned on Breez's list.

But of course the other point was that there is by now more than one monolithic aesthetic for what constitutes great rap production.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i agree it's better to do a top 5 or 10 per genre/region

i want to have battlecat on my list but he would not crack my traditional top 10

• JATXJATX 258 Posts

wait a minute? Swizz sampled two songs off the same Compilation for 2 different songs? Add to that the fact that he might not be in possession OF THE ORIGINAL PRESSINGS?!!?!?!

I take it all back, swizz is the worst producer ever.
    I could care less where he get's his sounds. Just thought it was interesting is all. I sample Dusty comps on the regular.

I would'nt put Swizz on the goat farm, either. I agree with dude that said it's hard to recall five of his joints off the top of the head.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

Alchemist > Prince Paul?

I know, I just realized that too. But it's hard to really get them in a good order cause you keep thinking of hot schitt they did while you're listing them. It took me like 15 mins to come up with & keep that order. Alchemist ranks a bit high for "Keep it Thoro" alone, IMO. I'm surprised I haven't been attacked for where I placed Dilla.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    couldnt read more than a quarter of this thread but -- his new shit is overrated, his early shit is way way underrated (money cash hoes is A++++ classic)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    only producer in ny who realized times had changed for awhile. basically kept ny relevent around the turn of the century

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

Please to replace Alchemist, Beatminerz and Swizzy with Just Blaze, Mannie Fresh and DJ Quik.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

No DITC producers? Diamond, Showbiz, etc don't deserve a spot over Swizz?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Top 15 IMO:
    1. Premier
    2. Timbo
    3. Rick Rubin
    4. Dr. Dre
    5. Pete Rock
    6. Marley Marl
    7. RZA
    8. Alchemist
    9. Prince Paul
    10. Large Professor
    11. Beatminerz
    12. Kanye
    13. JD
    14. Q-Tip
    15. Swizz

No DITC producers? Diamond, Showbiz, etc don't deserve a spot over Swizz?

You're right!! I can't believe I missed DITC completely. These damn lists are too hard to cram into a top 10 or even a top 20. I give up. All of DITC deserve to be higher than Swizz. I just heard the song he did with Jay-Z on BluePrint 3 and damn that song sucks!! Everything Swizz does sounds alike: that same damn snare, same tambourine, same drum pattern and that God forsaken whistle!!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Your backpack is showing.

But seriously, I hear "On To The Next One" bumping out of cars all over the place, and while it may not be groundbreaking, neither were a lot of those DITC joints, much as I love boom-bap and dusty loops.

Swizz has been consistently making HUGE joints for well over a decade. I think mainstream rap may just not be for you.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

But seriously, I hear "On To The Next One" bumping out of cars all over the place, and while it may not be groundbreaking, neither were a lot of those DITC joints, much as I love boom-bap and dusty loops.

Swizz has been consistently making HUGE joints for well over a decade. I think mainstream rap may just not be for you.

Your skirt is showing!! Just cause a few cars are bumping the same song don't mean nothing except those drivers all have the same bad taste in music. That song will be forgotten about by next week. I don't mind mainstream stuff, don't get me wrong, but this is on the lines of cookie cutter or processed cheese. He beats his formula to death. Who cares about consistency, the damn Jonas Brothers are consistent. We're talking about great producers and although consistency is a big part, a great producer can reinvent themselves and change it up, hence Timbaland. Swizz has been doing the same damn thing since his first beat on The Lox first LP almost 13 years ago. His production has no depth, it's one shake your ass beat after another. He re-does the same schitt over & over. I feel your view though, you looove you some Swizz!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Your skirt is showing!! Just cause a few cars are bumping the same song don't mean nothing except those drivers all have the same bad taste in music. That song will be forgotten about by next week. I don't mind mainstream stuff, don't get me wrong, but this is on the lines of cookie cutter or processed cheese. He beats his formula to death. Who cares about consistency, the damn Jonas Brothers are consistent. We're talking about great producers and although consistency is a big part, a great producer can reinvent themselves and change it up, hence Timbaland. Swizz has been doing the same damn thing since his first beat on The Lox first LP almost 13 years ago. His production has no depth, it's one shake your ass beat after another. He re-does the same schitt over & over. I feel your view though, you looove you some Swizz!!!

right. Except Timbaland is wack now. Swizz isnt.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'm an unapologetic fan of major mainstream, uber backpack and everything in between, if I dig it...

I've always despised Swizz Beats. I feel like 90%+ of his beats totally fall apart if you remove the annoying "aye, aye, aye" or "go, go, go" or "uh, uh, uh" that accompanies every other 8th note. If you do a search on youtube for "Swizz Beatz", literally every damn track on the first 2 pages (at least)has an annoying ass "aye aye aye" or whateverthafuck on the 8th's. Maybe that's his "signature" shit but it's annoying and just makes his beats sound that much more one dimensional.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'wile out' & 'money cash hoes' & 'what you want' were groundbreaking. I would rank early swizz over ditc producer dudes

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    'wile out' & 'money cash hoes' & 'what you want' were groundbreaking. I would rank early swizz over ditc producer dudes

His early stuff was real sick because it was new & fresh but now, 12-13 years later it's not. It's just the same old bells & whistles. But "Money, Cash, Hoes" & "Tear the ruff off" are still my schitt though!