Records made by army dudes abroad (RR)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Alright, inspired by that post about 100% Poison, what other records were made abroad by dudes in the army?I only know two (one of which I just found out, and I'm going based off of the popsike description so correct me if I'm wrong):The Monks - Black Monk Time (garage)100% Pure Poison - Comin' Right At You (funk/soul)What are the other ones? School me in some non-foreign foreign records

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

East of Underground, dunnie.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Were they abroad when it was recorded? I just thought they were in the army and it was recorded in America to be sent over seas or something.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Were they abroad when it was recorded? I just thought they were in the army and it was recorded in America to be sent over seas or something.

No, recorded in Germany.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

they were based in Germany right? I thought I saw this with another cover, could be wrong though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

And there was the companion album on the same label, right? The title eludes me right now...Jinx, help me out.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

they were based in Germany right? I thought I saw this with another cover, could be wrong though.
    Yeah. All three of the records mentioned thus far were recorded in Germany. What the hell was going on there?

The monks does have a different cover. Black rimmed picture with them sitting on the stairs. The album is awesome.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    hmmh, eveything on the vietnam wartime sampler

• Webster Lewis Live at club 7

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Webster Lewis Live at club 7

Those were military? Like whoa.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    S.I.C., the 80s thrash band.

• What about Cane & Able?

There was also another french lp which I think were done soldiers on the leave or something.

Dress

• From what I understand, they were stationed and thinnking about staying, as exemplefied in the lyrics for "Do You Believe". on that expat/military tip for sure.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Geno Washington was a US soldier who found himself fronting soul bands in the UK.

Weren't Rocky Roberts & the Airedales soldiers, or were they just American musicians who relocated abroad?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Speed, Glue and Shinki sort of fits the bill (no pun intended, GI bill, get it? huh? huh?)

anyway...two japanese guys and a AWOL Vietnam Vet, who took off to the Phillipines...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Was Charles Williams a military cat? I don't have the liner notes here to check. If so, plaese to include this one on the list:

• GlockoseGlockose 49 Posts
    4 Heavy Metal ones from the 80's off the top of my head

Saber LP recorded Germany
    Axxes 7" recorded on a UK airforce base
    Iron Unbrella LP recorded in Germany
    White Hell 7" w/ps recorded in Japan

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

1st and 2nd place winners in the 1972 Army band competition in Germany. Can check the review here:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=788

Wess & The Airedales. Started in the U.S., got into the army and sent to Italy where they picked up Wess Johnson.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1982

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Add to the list: Haboob "S/T" (Horzu)
    -Black psych from US GIs in Germany circa 1970

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Yeah. All three of the records mentioned thus far were recorded in Germany. What the hell was going on there?

The monks does have a different cover. Black rimmed picture with them sitting on the stairs. The album is awesome.

Because Germany has always been a cake assignment.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Jimmy Helms, an ex-US miliary dude, cut a number of Northern soul records in the 70's for UK label PYE. He later went on to greater fame as the lead voice for late 80's popsters Londonbeat.

SG

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Dope. I played this on Soulman World Of Beats Vol. 2 (or maybe Vol. 3... it's been a long time) back in the days. I been waiting to see when this would pop up on the internet.... shoulda known it had already been uncovered. Ain't too many secrets anymore, mayne. Outside of the soulstrut reviews section, is this well known by mighty collectros? Can I get a maybe even?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    black seeds is essentially just the east of underground of the previous year.
    same label/situation.

-fan of the luther ingram cover on there.