new Dogtown movie and new movies in general

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
the new Dogtown movie looks ...I mean, the Dogtown documentary was , why dramatize it? is it for morons who cant stand to sit through a piece of non-fiction? embellish a story of bad-asses to make it more hollywood and squeeze some dollars outta foks? sorry, preview looked stupid..aint going to waste my time.also, why remake "The Longest Yard?" Adam Sandler as Burt Reynolds? dumb as hell...remake "Willy Wonka"? why? it is a classic, Depp is a badass and will prolly do a damn good job, but why remake it?discuss.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I guess this trend wont stop. Going retro with old movies/tv shows is an easy
    sell. Both the music and movie industries are challenged by downloads and DVD.
    Dogtown doesnt need dramatization but most movie goers didnt get to catch the documentary due to limited screening.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Palindrome was the biggest disappointment I've seen from Todd Solondz. I hate when dudes make some stupid "artsy" move for no reason whatsoever. Storyline was weak too.

Really dissapointing since I've loved everything else he has done.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    saw Old Boy last week shit was

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    the new Dogtown movie looks ...I mean, the Dogtown documentary was , why dramatize it? is it for morons who cant stand to sit through a piece of non-fiction? embellish a story of bad-asses to make it more hollywood and squeeze some dollars outta foks? sorry, preview looked stupid..aint going to waste my time.

I agree, and yet the whole project was approved by Stacy Peralta. As long as there isn't a Tony Alva ballet to go with it.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I agree, and yet the whole project was approved by Stacy Peralta. As long as there isn't a Tony Alva ballet to go with it.

Stacy Peralta has been all about the money since day one. He is a skater turned business man, no question about it. This has been known for awhile, but it is pretty apparent in the Dogtown documentary. If you notice, he is the one asking all the questions in the interviews. This whole Dogtown project is an investment of his which he is sculpting to cash in on. Whatever though, dudes gotta get paid.

-k

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    saw Old Boy last week shit was

Definitely. Old Boy is well worth the rental.

• HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
    I just watched the Assault on Precinct 13 remake, and was surprised that I enjoyed it. I rented it on the assumption that it would be a no-brainer action flick, which it was - but I didn't expect to like it. The original John Carpenter movie is great and the remake can't touch it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

On the whole, the amount of remakes that have been around lately is getting to be played out, but as long as they make money, remakes will get the ol' greenlight.

Stacy Peralta has been all about the money since day one. He is a skater turned business man, no question about it. This has been known for awhile, but it is pretty apparent in the Dogtown documentary. If you notice, he is the one asking all the questions in the interviews. This whole Dogtown project is an investment of his which he is sculpting to cash in on. Whatever though, dudes gotta get paid.

-k

Very true, and I guess with the level of exposure he has now, he's saying "alright, if it's offshoots you want, it's offshoots you will get." I remember when I looked up to guys like Alva and Peralta, and then all the skateparks in the magazines started to disappear. But he (Peralta) managed to survive. Good for him though, because it's like anything else: if it's not there, fill the void.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    the new Dogtown movie looks ...I mean, the Dogtown documentary was , why dramatize it? is it for morons who cant stand to sit through a piece of non-fiction? embellish a story of bad-asses to make it more hollywood and squeeze some dollars outta foks? sorry, preview looked stupid..aint going to waste my time.

also, why remake "The Longest Yard?" Adam Sandler as Burt Reynolds? dumb as hell...

remake "Willy Wonka"? why? it is a classic, Depp is a badass and will prolly do a damn good job, but why remake it?

discuss.

I loved the Dog Town doc, despite Stacy being the interviewer, which was good and bad. On one hand who better than one of the krew, but I think the movie needed someone with a little more interviewing/doc experience. I think some big stuff like injuries was totally left out. Still HAF and I've watched it at least 5 times.

I think the previews make the DT movie look bad, but I did know a guy who got an early preview and sid it was good. Still going to wait to rent that one.

The Longest Yard looks really bad.

Willy Wonka looks really bad as well. Plus, I'm pretty sure it was supose to be out a while ago and it keeps getting pushed back. Never a good sign.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    is it for morons who cant stand to sit through a piece of non-fiction?

Yes.

is it for morons who cant stand to sit through a piece of non-fiction?

Yes.

HA HA! Reminds me of a record store employee who asked me why people listen to smooth jazz stations. I said "it's for people who say they like jazz but can't stand saxaphone solos".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I saw today where Chris Rock is going to star in the movie version of Miami Vice.

Couple weeks ago I saw It's All Gone Pete Tong. About a superstar dj who goes deaf. The lamest part of the movie is the attempt to pass it off as a true story. The best part is; his cocaine addiction is portrayed by a guy in a panda (or badger or something) suit with a snotty nose.

Just watched Ocean's 12. David Holmes did the soundtrack which I really liked. What else has he done that you recommend?

Dan

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Palindrome was the biggest disappointment I've seen from Todd Solondz. I hate when dudes make some stupid "artsy" move for no reason whatsoever. Storyline was weak too.

ok, this movie was very difficult to watch but i really don't see how you can say Todd Solondz is just making some stupid "artsy" movie for no reason. do you really not see anything substantive in the movie? if nothing else it's a pointed critique of both sides of the abortion issue...sure, in some ways it's hard to take it seriously when it keeps switching actors for the main character, but you can't deny the feeling of being punched in the stomach you feel when she gets the abortion...and then when the abortion doctor and his daughter are killed (sorry to ruin any of this for people who haven't seen the movie).

and his switching actors is probably supposed to represent how these issues affect everybody...and mostly women. but there is one male actor in there.

todd solondz entire oeuvre has been so-called "artsy" movies.

can you make art without consciously trying to? maybe...but i don't think so when it comes to cinema. too many cooks in the kitchen. trying to be "artsy" basically means you are trying to be an artist. whether or not you succeed is another thing.

what bothers me is movies, commercials, tv shows, whatever, trying to be purposefully quirky for no apparent reason. but i guess even that is better than trying to be middle of the road...maybe not.

as far as the tony alva thing goes...we'll have to wait and see...i wouldn't mind watching a dramatized version of that era in cali surf/skate/punk history. was there a surf version of the dogtown documentary...thought i heard something about that.

i do know that Vans is making the tony alva lo-tops again...my friend had some on last night. they look fresh.

was there a surf version of the dogtown documentary...thought i heard something about that.

Yea, but I can't remember the name. It was a pretty obvious title like Riding Big Waves or something.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

was there a surf version of the dogtown documentary...thought i heard something about that.

Yea, but I can't remember the name. It was a pretty obvious title like Riding Big Waves or something.

It's called Riding Giants and it's not really analagous to Dogtown and Z Boys. It's more of an overview of the history of Big Wave riding, which veers into the notion of extreme tow-in surfing and draws the thread through from the pioneers to the present. Dogtown and Z-Boys was much more about the specific group of people in a specific place and time.

'Giants' is WAY less personal, and more of a standard surf documentary. In a way, it focuses more on the places(Maverick's, Waimeia Bay,etc) than the people.
    It's great for a documentary, but only as an overview(for example, what about Eddie Aikau?).

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Anyone like the "Endless Summer" surf movies?
    Some of the footage is amazing, some great places there i'd love to visit...but some of the set up/acting type bits in Endless Summer 2 cracked me up.... that blonde kid hahahaha

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Huh? Solondz only makes artsy movies. I still want to see this though.

Dogtown was originally supposed to be directed by David Fincher. That would have been

Anyone like the "Endless Summer" surf movies?

Some of the footage is amazing, some great places there i'd love to visit...but some of the set up/acting type bits in Endless Summer 2 cracked me up.... that blonde kid hahahaha

Longtime fan as well. I haven't seen a surf film in a theater in a longtime, and sadly the last one I remember going to was fricken North Shore. To be honest, anything is better than In God's Hands[/b].

But yeah, there's [i]Riding Giants[/b] as well as [i]Step Into Liquid
    , those were the two big films that managed to crack the mainstream market by surprise.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

ok, this movie (palindromes) was very difficult to watch but i really don't see how you can say Todd Solondz is just making some stupid "artsy" movie for no reason. do you really not see anything substantive in the movie? if nothing else it's a pointed critique of both sides of the abortion issue...sure, in some ways it's hard to take it seriously when it keeps switching actors for the main character, but you can't deny the feeling of being punched in the stomach you feel when she gets the abortion...and then when the abortion doctor and his daughter are killed (sorry to ruin any of this for people who haven't seen the movie).

and his switching actors is probably supposed to represent how these issues affect everybody...and mostly women. but there is one male actor in there.

todd solondz entire oeuvre has been so-called "artsy" movies.

no, I'm not knocking anything specific about this film except his choice of using multiple actresses to play the main character. Just though it was a pointless move done for no real reason.

I've heard it said that he chose to do this to mock mid-series replacement characters on TV shows, which seems pretty dumb to be making a statement about.

I don't think the various Aviva's were supposed to represent various people but its an interesting thought.

still it ended up being my least favorite Solondz film, which sucks cause prior to this he had done no wrong in my eyes.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Laird Hamilton foil surfing in Step into Liquid...

• adam you're fucking bugging. not gonna write a movie review here, but that shit was so on point it scared me.

oh and they already made a dramatized version of the powell / perralta / alva skate scene. it was called 'dogtown and z-boys.'

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

To be honest, anything is better than [i]In God's Hands[/b].

WORST MOVIE EVER.

Riding Giants was cool as long as they were talking history and evolution of the sport.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    though, the movie will most likely suck and I will most likely come out pissed off...i am still excited to see this flick.

going to walk in that shyte with my santa monica airlines Natas Kaupus board signed by the 83' bones brigade with my pant legs cuffed and bangs in full effect.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

ok, this movie was very difficult to watch but i really don't see how you can say Todd Solondz is just making some stupid "artsy" movie for no reason. do you really not see anything substantive in the movie? if nothing else it's a pointed critique of both sides of the abortion issue...sure, in some ways it's hard to take it seriously when it keeps switching actors for the main character, but you can't deny the feeling of being punched in the stomach you feel when she gets the abortion...and then when the abortion doctor and his daughter are killed (sorry to ruin any of this for people who haven't seen the movie).

is it really that fuckin hard to write "spoiler" BEFORE the fuckin paragraph instead of after it...argh!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

is it really that fuckin hard to write "spoiler" BEFORE the fuckin paragraph

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    is it really that fuckin hard to write "spoiler" BEFORE the fuckin paragraph

For real.

You don't have to be art phobic to agree that Palindromes is a piece of shit though.

That new Dogshit and Pee Boyz movie is from the director of "13" so... caveat emptor.

I have said it before here and everyone ignored me, and I will say it again even though most of you have probably heard by now... Star Wars is about to own all your asses. Yesterday I talked to a dude who knew nothing about SW (thought they were based on books) who saw it and said he cried. I'm pretty sure half the pathos comes from realizing that the most lucid and cutting take on our dying civilization is to be found in a big campy comic book of a summer action movie. Mark my words, this movie WILL melt your face, and not just because of the flashing lights and loud noises.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I saw the trailer for the next Harry Potter film at the movies today and I got fucking chills!

also, Kicking and Screaming was pretty freaking funny.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I saw the trailer for the next Harry Potter film at the movies today and I got fucking chills!

HELL. MOTHERFUCKING. YES.

Don't nobody call me on Saturday June 16th or Sunday June 17th.

Herm

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I SUGGEST YOU FEEL THE FORCE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Somebody plaese remake The Ice Pirates.

Or The Monster Squad.